Sno

The terrible wallet scourge of the Amiibo.

Amiibos are also 13 USD, which means they're even cheaper here, I think, than in Canada? Get fucked, rest of the world! Wonder how much they are in Japan.

A quick look on amazon.co.jp suggests that they are around 2000 yen, so £10, or $17.

Yeah food, rent, etc. is definitely incredibly varied from region to region, but it seems like the purely luxury goods never really change, aside from clearance sales, or just general sales, or whatever. In my experience, anyway.

As a person who's just moved from Cambridge (middle class city an hour away from london by train) to Leeds (a 3 hour drive from cambridge up north), this is so true. I can afford to run a car now, and I'm on the same wage as I was in Cambridge.

A pint in london can be anything from £7 - £10. In Leeds it's considered a rip off if you're paying over £4.

The other thing I've noticed about moving to a cheaper area is that the expected salaray is less. If you land a job in London with a degree in the relevant field, your starting salary can be between £25k - £30k. For a similar situation in Leeds it's hard to get anything over £20k.

As for gaming stuff, it doesn't change much per area. new games are roughly £50 for next gen, and £30-£40 for last gen. However for huge titles, supermarkets tend to have a sever knock-down on price. I personally shop online at shopto.net, and it's about £6 cheaper. I can buy an amiibo on there for £10 + change. As for gaming shops specifically on the market, I've noticed that Leeds has a lot more second hand game shops than down south, which isn't suprising. Also GAME is fucking shit, and I hate that they have some ridiculous monopoly on games over here. The only reason I get stuff off of them is because they have some special edition that I need. (not want)

Ergh. I'm sitting at my desk with a Fox and a Pit in a horrible funky quandary. My brain is telling me to buy the more obscure characters and sit on them for a while because they're sure to be discontinued. My heart is telling me I'm a horrible calculating profiteer. Bah, I'm off to buy a Captain Falcon and a Little Mac!

I got SSB4 from game in manchester. It's one of the first times I've used game in years simply because Amazon was sold out (despite a preorder). They charged me £10 more than any other retailer. Blew, I hate game.

You know what's weird. TESCO doesn't stock Nintendo stuff. There is one with a massive gaming section 5 minutes from me, but not a single Nintendo item, not even 3DS or Amiibo.

Well I broke down and preordered a Toon Link because my friend told me there was exclusive shit unlocked for Hyrule Warriors with Zelda figures.

I really hope there isn't more exclusive shit later, since I don't really want to deal with collecting rare figures (or even more than I have to) and these Amiibos simply aren't that cool.

There's going to be a lot. It's DLC that comes with a cool little figure, and it's already selling like hotcakes.

(teehee)

I do love me some hotcakes. Maybe I'll make some tomorrow morning. In the shape of Toon Link, of course.

I was thinking maybe I should go ahead and get a Wario Amiibo, because I do sort of like the Toon Link figure and Wind Waker is one of my favorites... but, there's no Wario is there?

Not yet, no, but I'm assuming there will be, as they seem to just be doing all the Smash Bros. characters at the moment.

Also there fucking better be because Wario is the best.

Not yet, no, but I'm assuming there will be, as they seem to just be doing all the Smash Bros. characters at the moment.

Also there fucking better be because Wario is the best.

This is specifically the Super Smash Bros amiibo line, hence the "Super Smash Bros" logo on the packing card, so i assume there's going to be one for every character in the Smash 4 roster.

You can bet that, down the road, there will be a Pokemon amiibo line and other various product lines.

So there's still those ongoing questions about what kind of compatibility there will actually end up being for amiibos. Super Smash Bros 4 is, of course, the only game out right now making actual extensive use of these amiibos. (In that it's the only game actually writing to the save space on the Amiibo instead of just acknowledging that the Amiibo exists and then unlocking something because of it. Which raises the question of whether or not these specific amiibos will ever be extensively used in anything else ever.)

With such questions up in the air, I'd advise collecting them not because of their NFC functions, but because they're cool little figurines of Nintendo characters that haven't necessarily seen a lot of collectible merch previously.

This is specifically the Super Smash Bros amiibo line, hence the "Super Smash Bros" logo on the packing card, so i assume there's going to be one for every character in the Smash 4 roster.

Yeah that's what I meant.

Can't wait 'til they do literally every pokemon ehehe

One day I'll get a Sewaddle amiibo and all will be right with the world.

I'm really intrigued by some of the things Iwata's been saying about releasing amiibos in different form factors besides "tiny statuette." Specifically, Nintendo's been tinkering with the idea of embedding NFC tags in trading cards for an amiibo card game, which is something I've been pulling for a while now.

I'm suddenly having dreams of an entire wall devoted to mint in box amiibo. Somebody stop me.

Has anyone got any tips for removing sticky gunk from packaging? It's the really nasty stuff from those security patch stickers that's now kind of hardened.

I'm really intrigued by some of the things Iwata's been saying about releasing amiibos in different form factors besides "tiny statuette."

Nintendo reveals that every Wii has an NFC tag hidden in it.

Has anyone got any tips for removing sticky gunk from packaging? It's the really nasty stuff from those security patch stickers that's now kind of hardened.

5sVdIVc.png

I'm suddenly having dreams of an entire wall devoted to mint in box amiibo. Somebody stop me.

Yeah if you throw the boxes away they'll eventually be separated in whatever process trashes them. Eventually. Plus then you don't have to look at these ugly boxes surrounding your cool little figure!

I'm really intrigued by some of the things Iwata's been saying about releasing amiibos in different form factors besides "tiny statuette." Specifically, Nintendo's been tinkering with the idea of embedding NFC tags in trading cards for an amiibo card game, which is something I've been pulling for a while now.

I'm imagining a pokemon trading card game like that one that was on the ps3, but not shit, and also wasn't pokemon. Also there's some really funky arcade games in japan that uses cards with what I assume are NFC tags + touch screen shenanigans.

The possibilities are endless.

Yeah if you throw the boxes away they'll eventually be separated in whatever process trashes them. Eventually. Plus then you don't have to look at these ugly boxes surrounding your cool little figure!

Ah, but I grin every time I see those colourful boxes on my desk. Without them the little figures will get sat on and dusty and thrown in a drawer somewhere. If they're boxed, I'll have to display them somewhere which will up my grin quota per day.

This is the first 'thing' I've ever fancied keeping in the box. Must be getting old. It's a little strange how big the boxes are - most of them could be half the size. With retail space at a premium you'd think they'd reduce the packaging as much as possible.

Maybe they're trying to make the packaging large enough so you can't use the NFC in the Amiibo without opening it?

Possibly. There's a little foil sticker inside under the figure that prevents doing it through the bottom but perhaps you could zap it from the side if the pack was thinner.

I got Little Mac and Wii Fit trainer this morning, taking me to five.

The foil sticker is the only thing keeping you from using it while in the box. Without the sticker, it would work in-box just fine. Or so I'm told. I know the NFC chip is right in the base of the figures. Someone took one apart and showed it off somewhere.

Also these boxes are seriously ugly as hell. I'll never understand you box weirdos. I can't even begin to empathize. You weirdos.

Well it's good they thought of it at least, most of the original Skylanders you can use through the box.

i have yet to get any Amiibos...my spouse and i have a moratorium on buying stuff through the holidays

but i know there is one wrapped under the tree (RE: Ugly boxes) - i put it in my amazon wish list as a "buyer's choice" for which character to pick up.  I am fairly interested to see which she got thinking i would like it.  

She is a non-gamer who only watches me playing in between website or pinterest loads.  I doubt she recognizes my desire to have a Samus or Cpt Falcon helmet in mario kart, rarity of the villager/little mac, or tactical advantage of a Fox character on my team in sm4sh

I'm kind of really into these little things. I bought Samus along with my copy of Smash, and since then my girlfriend has bought me both Link and Zelda. I want a Captain Falcon so bad, but it seems like he's near impossible to find right now.

I've just started pre-ordering every Amiibo I'm interested in, since it seems like they're so hard to find. So for Wave 3 I've pre-orders Shiek, Toon Link, Ike, Shulk, and Mega Man. I'm not going to try to collect every single one, my girlfriend would probably kill me, haha. But I definitely want to get all of the ones I like.