Sign in to follow this  
Ben X

Crikey, It's Christmas (2014)!

This is the 'Christmas song by a respectable artist' that I always pull out:

Slightly different to the studio version that I'm used to, but still great.

What's everyone's favourite not-Christmas Christmas movie? Like Die Hard or Gremlins?

Mine is Batman Returns.

Braaaaaaaazillll.

I also really still like watching the first Home Alone movie even though I know it's pretty dumb now. Macauley Culkin 2 Escape from N.Y. is fine too.

For me, Zelda games have become a Christmas tradition since I first got Link to the Past for my birthday as a kid (my birthday is in early December) and played through it and finished it days before Christmas...taking a break to put up the tree and decorate it and then going back to play somehow managed to link (no pun intended) those two things together in my mind.  A couple years later Link's Awakening came out and I ended up getting it for my birthday as well, and sometimes I played it under the tree at night with the blinking lights and my off-brand Lightboy illuminating my Gameboy (I also played it in the car when we were Christmas shopping on the day a particularly bad (in my memory at least) snow storm hit...my dad was getting a haircut in Buchannon WV, and we then went to Clarksburg to shop at the mall and Toys R Us for relatives and I played the game in the car for the long drives back and forth...I beat the Genie boss with the bottle that day).  Every year before Christmas I usually try to fit some Zelda in somewhere...this year I'm finally getting around to playing through the 3DS remake of Ocarina of Time along with maybe playing through Link's Awakening again (now that I have it in COLOR on my 3DS via the eShop VC stuff).

DOOM is tied to Halloween for me, and Zelda to Christmas.

Here's a picture of my Aunt's Golden Retriever after playing with my little cousin's all day last Christmas Eve...they wore her out!

5dYuegS.jpg

5 minutes later she bounced back and was ready to play some more!

http://i.imgur.com/LMtEInp.jpg

Edit: i just realized that first picture could be photoshopped with some empty beer bottles to look like the after effects of a doggy bender!

Die Hard's my favourite, but I also want to put a good word in for In Bruges.

I'm actually really excited about X-mas this year since I'm spending it with the section of extended family that I have the most in common with. Not to mention they throw some pretty rad social gatherings. The downside is that my partner won't be with me. But he's down with his fam to celebrate a golden wedding (a 50th anniversary) and I've spent the last two years spending it with his family.

Anyway do you guys have any family tradition X-mas foods? 

For my Dad's side our tradition has always been to wake up and eat lamb chops with mint sauce followed by raspberrys with cream and icing sugar. One of my uncles does a blackpudding too but it looks like the rest of the whanau discontinued that.

After that it's probably a leg of glazed ham or a turkey followed by a Pavlova and some kind of Christmas cake.

I should mention last year I played through ALBW...and it was like childhood all over again...a new overhead Zelda game right before Christmas and one that evoked memories of LttP!

I even stupidly bought a Gold Zelda themed 3DS to replace my red one because it looked awesome (and I wanted to give my mom my old one).

In terms of Christmas food we usually have Turkey and Ham...so its basically Thanksgiving 2: This Time With Presents and Trees!

What's everyone's favourite not-Christmas Christmas movie? Like Die Hard or Gremlins?

Mine is Batman Returns.

Die Hard is the best Christmas movie, full stop.

There's some really solid choices for Christmas movies, actually:

Edward Scissorhands

Brazil

Lethal Weapon

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Trading Places

Batman Returns

Rare Exports

and of course:

Nightmare Before Christmas

Bad Santa

Elf

Muppet Christmas Carol

Scrooged

Along with all the other Christmas movies already mentioned, I have a fondness for The Ref. 

For me, Zelda games have become a Christmas tradition since I first got Link to the Past for my birthday as a kid (my birthday is in early December) and played through it and finished it days before Christmas...

Christmas games! I got both Final Fantasy VII and Tomb Raider 2 for Christmas in 1997, and it was an amazing one-two punch. I think the combination of the two is why Tomb Raider 2 is my favourite game in the series, and why I'll always have a soft spot for FF7. I think I got DOOM and Bust-A-Groove/Move for Christmas next year, and then we had a 3-day power cut that meant I couldn't play either of them. In 2000 I got a Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure, Jet Set Radio and Shenmue, all of which count as Christmas games for me, although Shenmue has the strongest associations. Shenmue 2 was released towards the end of the year after, and I completed it on Christmas morning. I think Christmas 2002 was the year I got a PS2, and Ico became my Christmas game. Viewtiful Joe was a notable Christmas game after that, but I can't think of many others. I got Mario 3D World last year, which I guess is special enough to count.

Going back before the Playstation era, Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario World and Street Racer on my sister's SNES were all pretty important fixtures. And Lemmings on the Atari ST before that. Even further back, probably Donkey Kong and Kangaroo on the Atari 800XL. Christmas games!