Sign in to follow this  
Ben X

Crikey, It's Christmas (2014)!

(I always get lonely at Christmas, personally)

Ever since I moved away from where I grew up, I feel lonely leading up to Christmas, then really stressed out after trying to fit in too many people/events during my 5 day trip home.

But yeah I'm going to Sweden for Christmas woooo!

Cool! 

Let's hope we get a white one this year!

I am personally thrilled and excited that even after three pages of festive joy, you have still granted me the yearly privilege of sharing with you...

...THE TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS

Happy kris kringle everyone!

Christmas is the worst now that I have in-laws, it creates a tension where I feel like my biological family perceives that I'm making a judgment about which part of my family I like more.

This this this! Since my wife and I have to travel to another city, we tend to spend the night at her parents because they have more money than mine and have a nicer guest room and not a small claustrophobic house. Also she likes spending more time around her parents and her mom is a good cook. I generally try to get away from my parents since my mom really loves drinking around Christmas time and my dad is only interested in talking about how much Obama sucks and Muslims are coming or some shit.

...Maybe I do like her family better. Hmm, although they are boring and tend not to talk though. I'm big on talking to people I'm close with.

Also thanks Rodi for keeping the tradition alive.

Would anyone be interested in a Secret Santa thing? Or would that be weird? We would call it Idle Santa because I have no imagination.

Would anyone be interested in a Secret Santa thing? Or would that be weird? We would call it Idle Santa because I have no imagination.

Normally I would but I'm broke this year.

The idea sounds cool, would it basically wind up with us getting each other games?

I'd still be up for that, but if there was a way to make for some interesting presents I think it could be fun.

I'd totally package up some wierd swedish shit (that's the fun part of being part of an international communtity right?).

Big question for me is how my financial situation will look closer to christmas as my current work contract will have run out by that time.

Will need to revisit the idea later.

I've already started eyeing up terrible terrible quaint irish gift shops. Once i got someone a thimble with shamrocks on it.

Here's how I was thinking of it working:

Present(s) cost between £10 - £15 ($16-$25), excluding shipping (if required).

People post on a separate thread that I'll make (if there's enough interest) stating their country, what they'd be up for: shipping (i.e. physical present), international shipping (i.e. present from abroad), or/and digital.

closing date would be something like 22nd November, where I randomly sort names according to their present preferences and post it on the forum. People then PM each other with addresses and stuff, and hopefully people post what they get on the thread or something. Thoughts? Am I missing anything out?

I did the Joystiq Podcast Appreciation Group's Secret Santa for two or three years, and it was a lot of fun! I think I usually spent ~$30, including shipping.

So I'd definitely be up for doing one.

Can't think of anything that's missing, but I would say if people were comfortable with sending addresses to one specific organiser it might be more fun, not knowing who is actually buying for them. (instead of sending the address directly to the person you know is buying for you)

The last year we did the JPAG santa, we used a third party tool to organize it, as the guy who had been organizing it found it to be a surprising amount of work. I'm pretty sure it was Elfster we used. Kept everything nicely anonymized.

The other thing to think about is to maybe limit it to established forum accounts. The biggest headache from the first year or two of the JPAG was people joining who weren't established in the community, and then flaking out.

sweet! Thanks for the help guys! It's a tad late to set it all up tonight, but I'll do it tomorrow night if I can (I'm pretty busy atm, packing to relocate up north.)

I've been burnt by internet-based secret santas before, so I'm probably not going to participate. International postage seems to be a bridge too far. (Then again, that was a group comprised of 95% North Americans.)

Yes, that's something I'd provisionally be interested in doing!

Like others, I would need at least a week or two to confirm if I can or not.

You know what's weird? I remember in 2003 when I was in high school the rich neighborhood for our district had like 2-3 houses doing this exact song with similar light shows all night every night for December. Why even do something so original if you are not getting any money for it? It seems like timing all of that up for something that's been done is not worth the work. Especially since you have to hear that song nonstop.

You know what's weird? I remember in 2003 when I was in high school the rich neighborhood for our district had like 2-3 houses doing this exact song with similar light shows all night every night for December. Why even do something so original if you are not getting any money for it? It seems like timing all of that up for something that's been done is not worth the work. Especially since you have to hear that song nonstop.

IIRC, the original was because the dude was an electrical engineer and just wanted to see if he could do it. The imitators probably just wanted to look cool.

Yeah I mean, the original is doing it because it's neat to see and he did it first. But I guess it's weird people want to show off with something so unoriginal. At least pick a different song, you know?

nooo you can't make me get rid of ~spoopy pumkin~ so soon

Come on, Tegan, give it up.

Come on, Tegan, give it up.

We don't have to. Unlike christmas toys PUMPKINS ARE ORGANIC AND ALL THINGS DIE