JonCole

"Ethics and Journalistic Integrity"

I think I also just have an exceptionally strong negative reaction to being accused of lying. Probably some minor childhood trauma or something. I get unnaturally angry when it happens. :(

You're not the only one. No better way to get me screamin' than to accuse me of lying in a conversation [that I'm taking seriously].

RgoufKG.png

ah ha ha ha ha ha ha

(I dunno who wrote this, it was on Patrick Klepek's tumblr)

ShittiestWizard.jpg

The Shittiest Wizard! Just look at that bullshit hat he's wearing. And his blatant disregard for human anatomy! Dude just does whatever the fuck he wants with his stupid limbs.

I'm pretty sure the Angel up at the top of the image, next to Sommers on her stupid Griffin, is Thunderf00t. Which is ironic, because isn't he a prominent atheist?

Who are these people? Where is the bald dude who always talks in front of his skull and hates black people a lot?

And the final phase of #GamerGate's transformation into a radical right-wing movement has begun!

GamerGate has always been the video games tea party, complete with misguided teenaged libertarian wannabes confident in their own infallible logic and reason in the face of all the ~~~feelings~~~ the other side keeps having.

I fully expect Alex Jones or Glenn Beck to reach out to these guys pretty soon. 

Edit: oh holy shit

Oh gawd, that JT quote. Incredible.

So I reckon that Buzzfeed is next on gg's hit list for going after advertisers, since they ran a piece on the mods of KiA.

This got brought up earlier in this thread by me when We Hunted the Mammoth looked at some of the mods. But BF looked at all of them, and all the subreddits they also mod or contribute heavily to. The author's conclusion:

In all, seven out of ten of r/KotakuInAction’s human moderators either participate in or moderate subreddits devoted to either the physical and emotional degradation and humiliation of women, or in subreddits devoted to mocking and delegitimizing the arguments and appearances of feminists and “social justice warriors.”

The KiA reaction is...interesting. They're claiming that this is sexuality shaming, a hit piece, character assassination, etc. Also, it's why the can't have leaders, because no one is perfect any leader they chose wouldn't live up to SJW expectations. Again, the cognitive dissonance here. "You must be perfect because we can't be."

There's also a conspiracy theory floating around that the Sarkeesian interview was a lot longer, that Colbert was way harder on her, that she floundered and all around looked bad BUT THEY CUT ALL THAT OUT OF THE AIRED VERSION BECAUSE FEMINIST PUPPETMASTERS. They are demanding Comedy Central release the uncut interview. Because it's all about ethics in games journalism. Fuck yeah.

Oh, and thanks for the Chu link.  That was a hell of a piece.  I wonder if it hits any nerves for pro-gg folks, like in a good, self reflective way.  I hope so, even if it's only a few of them.

I was catching up on Raph Koster's feed, and saw this:

post-33601-0-08855500-1414707652_thumb.jpg

I've had the thought more than once if some people online realize how easy it was to get contact info for the average person back in the day if they didn't explicitly have an unlisted number/address.  Obviously modern doxxing is still a bad thing, but we're only 20sih years removed from this being a standard communication tool that was literally in every single house in America, and the knowledge how to dial the operator and ask for any number in the country was relatively universal as well. 

It is truly insane that Syrian Girl is an ally of GG.

There are a few people who have backed gg that I haven't brought up here, mostly because I don't know what to say about them.  There's a woman candidate for Austin city council who is actively courting the gg vote (like did an AMA with them).  LianaK is someone I've actually found pretty valuable to read.  She vacillates between pro, anti and neutral, but she's said a lot of interesting things.  Then today she just went off about Sarkeesian, about how she's alienated from gaming because of Sarkeesian, because women like Sarkeesian are the only ones that the industry wants and will drive everyone else out.  And it's just like, what-the-everlasting-fuck.

Probably about as much to help GG as releasing the full chat logs in response to ZQ's "cherry-picking" of the Burgers and Fries chat. 

Hmm, I think I still get the yellow pages (which I duly throw into the recycling), but it is pretty odd that the white pages used to be such a staple. Why would you ever need anyone's phone number and address if you didn't already have them? The only time I ever used them was to look up girls I liked and then call them and get scared and hang up (haha like pre-high school if that makes any difference on how creepy).

Ralph Koster seems like his heart is in the right place most of the time but he's recently* gotten some static for his gatekeeper-y formalism uber alles attitude towards personal games. Methinks making flippant remarks about doxxing, who's victims (by demographic) tend to overlap with the personal games scene, might be linked.

*recently being in the last few months

This is a really interesting thought, that I'm going to contribute a story to because it's directly relevant. I might never have married my wife, you see, if I hadn't had access to the white pages.

So I met the woman who would become my wife at her senior prom (I was a year behind her at another school, I'd been invited as a friend of another girl, who rightly told me I 'needed to get out of the house' - Heather, if you're out there, thanks again), there was drama with my future wife's date (another woman), things happened, we had a great time and I wanted to ask her out again, but I'd made a mistake - I never asked her for her phone number. Being at a different school, it was difficult to get hold of her number; my only contact at her school was my friend, and she was tied up with her own stuff, also hard to get hold of.

So, I did the desperate, oblivious thing. I grabbed a copy of the white pages, and I looked up her last name, figuring her parents were probably listed. There were, fortunately, only two listings under her name. I called them both. I didn't know it at the time, but one of them was her uncle (who was very confused), but the other was her home. I managed to get her on the phone, we laughed, I took her to a terrible party (which she miraculously didn't hold against me), and we've been together (and then married) over a decade. At no point during this whole thing did I even consider how it'd come off for me to just call her up like that, without having gotten her number.

Nowadays, would I have even considered doing that? And if I had, would I have been (probably rightly) treated with much greater suspicion?

I'd love the Colbert report to release a full interview video and have it just be the exact same as the other video.

...knowing GG they would say "Aha! See, she does flounder!"

oh my god those dudes jerking each other off about how women who hate them really actually want to bone them need to be shot into the fucking sun. Jesus christ, they are like a bunch of Patrick Bateman alt accounts.

Holy shit, I'm dying laughing at that.  But don't worry, Big Mike still doesn't really believe in rape.

post-33601-0-29891300-1414727659_thumb.jpg

post-33601-0-33017800-1414727664_thumb.jpg

Brad Wardell says that #gamergate did start with bullying and harassment...by SJWs towards the good folks who just wanted to make games.

I keep being told that #gamergate started as a harassment and threat campaign.  Maybe they’re right if you treat #gamergate as having started years ago when people under the guise of “Social Justice” started harassing and threatening people they didn’t like.  I don’t just speak of myself.  What is happening now in the gaming community has been building up for years.

Late in that piece, as proof, he links to this thread and says look how badly his friend gets shit on for defending him.  Except I read through the rest of that thread, and I don't see anyone being shitty to his friend (I read it quickly, possible I missed something).  One person thanks him for posting, and another points out that how a person acts with friends may be different than how someone acts with female employees.  Unless I missed something, it's kind of a crazy bit of proof to try and show how people harassed your friends for standing up for you. 

Any doubt in my mind of Brad Wardell's status as a dipshit has been dispelled by his support of this bullshit hate campaign.

It's really strange to see how effortlessly a very specific type of jerks knows how to congregate on one side of an issue. It's like they have meetings to make sure they're on the same page or something.