Ben X

Didactic Thumbs (Pedantry Corner)

Sealion as a 'metaphor' for gg, 'analogy' is maybe a gooder idiom for me to deploy?

Sorry, first time in this topic, couldn't resist :P

...Is it? Sealioning was coined from this webcomic: http://wondermark.com/1k62/

2014-09-19-1062sea.png

Yes, it was created in the beginning of GG, but I think people use it more to describe a specific harassment tactic, rather than GG specifically. I could be wrong, but I'm not! Or am I? I'm not! Or am I?

With that in mind, it's neither a metaphor, nor an analogy. It's a new term for an old concept.

EDIT: Oh I just read the "ethics" thread. Well, I still stand by what I said, but I guess I didn't need to over-explain it like I did. Whatever you don't know me!

Innovation is great [...] but she uses it as if games are invaluable unless they have innovation. 

'Invaluable' doesn't make sense here. It means crucial / more valuable. I think you mean "...games aren't valuable unless..." 

inflammable.jpg

I know a person who pronounces vignette as 'vin-yay'. I've never corrected him because last time I tried, he was adamant that I was mistaken when I told him that actually gmail ignores periods in addresses.

He's a really good listener.

What's the difference between something that is surreal and something that is phantasmagoric?

Which one would you use to describe the typewriter in the movie Naked Lunch?

Yes! I just posted that on my girlfriend's Facebook because she hates that error!

my wife and I's current project

This should be, I'm pretty sure, "my wife's and my current project". Basically, if you take out one, the other should still work. "For my wife and me", "My wife and I did this".

This should be, I'm pretty sure, "my wife's and my current project". Basically, if you take out one, the other should still work. "For my wife and me", "My wife and I did this".

Rather a violent solution to a grammatical quandary.

Ha ha, yeah, EA's motivational guidelines:

Basically, if you take out one, the other should still work.

Yes! I just posted that on my girlfriend's Facebook because she hates that error!

The original is grammatically incorrect, but the correction is just awkward as hell too. Contextually it would have been better to go with "our current project" and establish that it is me and my wife doing the work earlier.

I hate Linklater's movies and I think he's one of the biggest fucking hacks out there

This is the second time I've seen "hack" used here to simply mean bad. Is this becoming standardised now? Because I've always known it to mean someone who turns in mediocre work purely for the money (I'm assuming Synth is not accusing Linklater of this).

Merriam Webster has it as:

a :  a person who works solely for mercenary reasons :  hireling <party hacks>

b :  a writer who works on order; also :  a writer who aims solely for commercial success

but I have seen it defined simply as a person who does bad work. Another word losing its unique and specific meaning to become a useless synonym!

I've frequently heard "hack" (in the context of comedians) used for someone who brazenly steals someone else's jokes.

Well then I won't use it in that context anymore since most people out there don't want to watch Linklater movies let alone pay to watch them and I don't think he steals any jokes because his movies are never funny to begin with and suck farts!

Oh yeah, I had heard jokes refered to as hacky (as in trite, overused), but hadn't realised that extended out to comedians using those jokes or stealing jokes being called hacks. Found this about it.

Hmm, I wonder whether people calling directors hacks mostly use it to mean they're mercenary, doing trite work, stealing stuff, or just plain bad...

Well thinking on it I've heard it both ways. Overused and stolen. Usually stolen stuff ends up overused, too.

I have heard people use 'hack' to mean 'terrible' but I've never considered it the meaning of the word. I think you're right - a hack is someone who turns in barely competent work for the paycheck.

It's not the normal spirit of this thread, but it seems on-topic, so I'd like to give a pedantic shout-out to Gormongous for this sentence:

If there is any way for an obsessive and joyless individual to make money in a game, it'll be abused, so I'm a bit nonplussed why cargo prices aren't more varied just to help the average player make a bit of money on the side.

Thank you Gormongous for being literally the only person I have ever observed using that word correctly (outside of examples illustrating how to use it correctly, anyway).

Seriously, I was genuinely elated when I saw that sentence.