Ben X

Didactic Thumbs (Pedantry Corner)

13 but I hardly pay attention to my grammar, I just try to edit out typos when I see my posts in these forums. I'm not even sure why I am not in this thread as one of the bad examples.

In case anyone hasn't been paying attention - it's broken/trolling. Could it in fact be Frog Fractions 3?

In case anyone hasn't been paying attention - it's broken/trolling. Could it, in fact, be Frog Fractions 3?

In case anyone hasn't been paying attention - it's broken/trolling. Could it, in fact, be Frog Fractions 3?

To harp on about 'deep dive': I just saw an io9 post that calls a 4-minute video about the sound design of the new Godzilla movie a "deep dive". FOUR MINUTES! I haven't watched the video but I assume that, like all other sound design featurettes, it'll be about them doing foley and combining different noises for creature noises. DEEP DIVE!

Ben, I really appreciate your deep dives on the media's misuse of deep dive.

Well fuck me sideways - sorry Gormongous! In my defense, we were having an early family Christmas and I was very drunk at time of posting!

Man, you really dropped your balls with that one.

Apologies for the combo breaker but my phone wouldn't let me post that bigger quote inception and instead gave me a 'Bad gateway'

I think we're only allowed one quote inception per year, it was probably good someone cut it off before it went on too long.

From the GG thread:

Yeah, i've never particularly liked the sealion metaphor. I get the point of it, it just doesn't hold under even mild scrutiny and there are plenty of better metaphors we could come up with.

It's not a metaphor though is it?

Sealion as a 'metaphor' for gg, 'analogy' is maybe a gooder idiom for me to deploy?

Sorry, first time in this topic, couldn't resist :P

Sealion as a 'metaphor' for gg, 'analogy' is maybe a gooder idiom for me to deploy?

Clearly it should be "The simile of the sealion" if anything. Though all types fall under the umbrella of metaphorical language use, so I don't think it's an issue.

Metaphors are like analogies in that I'm making one right now.