tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

Fun thing that watching the video, is how while in one hand we got better a design modern cities in sandbox games and even give it some atmosphere, we still kind not sure of what exactly do with them. So we try to fill it with activities, which given the nature and theme of games such gta/watchdogs this often don´t work very well, given the poor tought minigames that sometimes show up. Even in Just Cause 2 I found that cities became nothing but annoyance as they serve no other function other to force me going around "Attack on Titan style" with the grappling hook, trying to find water tower to destroy or some hidden stuff, despite the fact that the cities themselves where very detailed.

I didn't play Watch_Dogs but I got the impression that you could access certain categories of data voyeuristically. I wonder if that system is the current overlap of available technolgy, multi-million dollar development, and the desire to engage with cities full of NPC's non-violently.

I didn't play Watch_Dogs but I got the impression that you could access certain categories of data voyeuristically. I wonder if that system is the current overlap of available technolgy, multi-million dollar development, and the desire to engage with cities full of NPC's non-violently.

I didn´t play too, but while it had chance or potential, it don´t appear they pull it off

Listening to a Bombcast from November, Matt Rorie characterizes Dragon Age Inquisition as "It's a Bioware game. You try to sleep with your coworkers. Like, a lot." I now really want to see Bioware make a game about an office building where this is just what happens. The familiar "what if Bioware mechanics were applied to more mundane shit?" question, but in the real world. Bioware's Office Simulator 2015. I want it.

I really wish there was a game about music that took Brutal Legend's ~album covers are REAL~ worldbuilding thing and widened it to every genre ever. The possibilities are endless.

I would love to see a really good world war 1 video game or film, the endless crushing nature of trench warfare could be an effective setting for something really dark and interesting. Also the collision of old war values and the new version of warfare is also so fascinating. 

I really wish there was a game about music that took Brutal Legend's ~album covers are REAL~ worldbuilding thing and widened it to every genre ever. The possibilities are endless.

Until you get to R'n'B world where it's just a sea of oiled asses

Until you get to R'n'B world where it's just a sea of oiled asses

It could be a nice alternative to slippery ice levels.

Nobody would get it, but dang I wanna see some of the weirder prog subgenres (Canterbury Scene, Zeuhl, etc.) represented. Canterburyville would be all shire-like with teapots and gnomes and other british crap. Zeuhl is volcanic and culty.

Also, metal land would have like 30 states representing all the styles who only agree on one thing: the exile of nu-metal to a distant island.

Butt rock land would be rad too. Protein powder is their main source of food. Babies emerge with long hair and a scott stapp voice. It's perfect.

Whenever I read Liz Ryerson's work (ellaguro) about indies, game journalism or the industry, I get a strong whiff of sour grapes. Whenever I read her stuff that's not about those things, though, I get a sense that she's perfectly justified to be pissed off. She was well out in front of Gamergate, for instance, long before most of the people who make the money in game journalism had any real idea what to say other than 'don't harass people/us'. She can't get a job but Brad Shoemaker can?

So, Vaati made a video on an upcoming indie game that looks like a translation of the Souls games into 2D:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in playing it, but at the same time the sheer number of similarities makes me feel uneasy. Not in a "how dare they!" way. It's just... what is their ideal version of the game? Is it something that resembles Dark Souls as much as possible? That's the feeling I get and it seems a little sad. Even the area title pop up looks the same. Maybe Dark/Demon's are genre defining games and it's a worthwhile thing to copy them down to the small details, but what I love about Dark Souls is that it feels visionary and you're never going to exude that when copying someone else.

Learn from the games, but make your own thing. I know what's unfair to them and to the game, it just struck me that even when presented with what's seemingly more of my favourite thing all I can think is I'd rather have something new. Again, I'll still probably play this though. If it's a good game it'll be because they made a good game and that's not easy even when you're imitating.

I saw a some of that during one of the Extra Life streams. It looked pretty cool, but last I saw there wasn't an announced release date or anything. Now it's apparently PS4 exclusive : (

I saw a some of that during one of the Extra Life streams. It looked pretty cool, but last I saw there wasn't an announced release date or anything. Now it's apparently PS4 exclusive : (

I could swear I heard it was coming to PC eventually, just not at the same time.

I started Persona 4 Golden again, on easy, after giving up on my hard playthrough. I quit around the 50 hour mark because that game is not designed for grinding, and the dungeons were frustratingly boring.

The music feels like coming home. Such a great soundtrack, and I'd really like to actually beat it one day.

I got like 90% through Persona 4 and didn't beat it. I wonder if I should even try going back or starting from scratch on easy. I also didn't much care for the actual combat, though on normal I didn't have too hard a time with it at any point. Easy might still let me breeze through it a little faster.

Oh wow, a remastered version of the original Resident Evil was released on Steam yesterday.  It looks surprisingly good.  I'm super tempted. 

The lineup for Evo 2k15 was just announced, and there's some pretty interesting elements to it, perhaps most notably that they're going to run tournaments for both Melee and Smash 4. The popularity of the Melee tournament last year must have had quite an impact for two games in the series to be run side by side this year.

(Other interesting elements are the particularly strange circumstance of a Tekken 7 tournament - for a game that will not yet have had a home release at the time of the event - apparently being run on arcade cabs, MKX showing up when it'll be barely a couple months old at the time, two ArcSys games getting official tourneys when seeing even one isn't guaranteed, and seeing Evo determined to continue running UMVC3 tournaments when the game has effectively been buried by licensing shenanigans.)

Can you elaborate on what you mean in regards to UMVC3?

I was referring to the fact that none of UMVC3's content is available on digital services anymore, whether it's the game itself, its DLC, or any patches.

The timing of all of that, which i had forgotten when i wrote that post, means that it would have been an issue at last year's Evo too though.

I'm curious how Evo's organizers and the players of that game work around that, then.

Sounds like more of a promotion than anything. I would be surprised if there was a huge difference in the core fighting mechanics between tekken 6 and 7. I highly doubt that there'll be anyone choosing any new characters, and from the sounds of things, 7 has been out in the Japanese arcades for a while now, so it's probable that the super hardcore have imported the machines. I'm really surprised about MKX though, especially as I get the feeling it isn't a super tight fighting game like the rest on that list, just a huge promotion.

And no love for Skullgirls? That's upsetting.

Tekken 7 actually isn't in Japanese arcades, nobody has played that game yet, and even then, it's going to be a very select crowd that has the opportunity to play it. (Namco will apparently try to get cabs out to interested american arcades and events, but...)

MK9's presence at Evo was pretty divisive for the couple years they ran it, but i always felt like the spot was earned, the game was good. MKX is coming in pretty hot though, and MK9 definitely had its share of issues at release. (MKX hits shelves in april, evo's in july.)

Definitely don't like seeing brand new games at the touranment, because even if the game is good, the players themselves don't have time to prepare and the matches suffer because of it. I mean, and there's no way around it, the Tekken 7 thing comes off as more of a promotion than a real tournament.

I am actually a little surprised Skullgirls hasn't happened, that community seems like it's been gaining mommentum for a while now.