tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

Remember I said (in the video game deal thread) I was thinking about buying Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ? even knowing that maybe for now it might won´t work, due video card (my one is GT 430, planning to upgrade in the next months)? Guess what, I did bought and yesterday I tried running, and much to my surprise, it worked, very well. Only had a strange issue with sound, or rather the lack of it, I had to change sound from stereo to surround to work. But still, I played for a short while and game runs fine, haven´t tried change default configurations, yet. How would guess Sega and Kojima would do good pc ports this year XD

Or maybe I just misread the minimum requirement (but one site which does test, said it wont work).

Later I plan to sit down and play it in more proper fashion (yes I know the game is very short), is fun to think this would be my first metal gear (that I would play, I heard/read about the MG universe).

Edited by Valorian Endymion

Well I broke down and preordered a Toon Link because my friend told me there was exclusive shit unlocked for Hyrule Warriors with Zelda figures.

I really hope there isn't more exclusive shit later, since I don't really want to deal with collecting rare figures (or even more than I have to) and these Amiibos simply aren't that cool.

I was only aware of the spinner that unlocked with plain ol' adult link. What unlocks with Toon link?

I think the same spinner, or at least that's what I've read since he's not out yet. I just prefer to own Toon Link over regular Link. Shiek and Zelda should do the same too I think.

For those of you not keeping up with the Pokémon thread, I've spent the last week trying to hatch a shiny Pokémon with a specific ability and gotten four reject shinies in a row. I've hatched over 1800 eggs so far.

Remember I said (in the video game deal thread) I was thinking about buying Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ? even knowing that maybe for now it might won´t work, due video card (my one is GT 430, planning to upgrade in the next months)? Guess what, I did bought and yesterday I tried running, and much to my surprise, it worked, very well. Only had a strange issue with sound, or rather the lack of it, I had to change sound from stereo to surround to work. But still, I played for a short while and game runs fine, haven´t tried change default configurations, yet. How would guess Sega and Kojima would do good pc ports this year XD

Or maybe I just misread the minimum requirement (but one site which does test, said it wont work).

Later I plan to sit down and play it in more proper fashion (yes I know the game is very short), is fun to think this would be my first metal gear (that I would play, I heard/read about the MG universe).

I think Metal Gear's a really fun series (one of my top) and that if you play Ground Zeroes with the goal of exploring the system rather than working through the plot you'll get a lot more out of it. I haven't played it yet and won't for a while but I hear that if you take that approach you can turn it into a 20-30 hour game.

Apparently if you sell more than 200 items and gross over $20,000 on the Steam market, they're required to report this to the IRS and you have to fill out a 1099 form.  I was informed of this because I've apparently had 153 listings this year and when you get near 200 they ask if you'd like to give them your information in advance.

Yup, I got that last year and this year. I kept under the actual amount and doubt it'll ever be an issue but it's weird to think that some people are making enough in it that it's theoretically a business and being taxed.

With regards to Metal Gear Solid, I think I gave up on it. The controls are terrible for the last boss. I managed to best it once, but twice...seriously? Now I refuse to play 2 or 3 until I finish 1, which will probably be never.

I liked 4 a lot, so I wouldn't worry about the story. It's bullshit anyway. They're basically just fun games with a throwaway narrative...come to think of it, like most Japanese games.

Ungh. Crypt of the Necrodancer is perfect for me. Roguelike rhythm game had the obvious draw but it really is just executed so well I know this will drain some hours from my life. I'm also making the specific effort with this game not to seek out any information or videos about it.

Cause after I while I did that with Spelunky and... well it didn't ruin the experience at all but it took away a lot of the potential discovery for me.

then don't listen to that idle thumbs episode from a couple of weeks ago

I've listened to all of them and don't remember anything terribly spoilery... so I guess I already covered myself with that!

Necrodancer is great. I played it every day for a couple of weeks, then decided to put it away for awhile and let them finish it before I go back.

I really hope they bring necrodancer to console, but by the sounds of it they want the game to be a "success" before they even think about it. I'd play the crap out of a rhythm rogue like on vita.

It's still on Early Access so they'll need to finish it first but I imagine the big 3 will be looking to snap it up after that.

Virtual console purchase: Megaman 1 or Megaman other number? I have no intention of playing every Megaman game, but I'd like to get an authentic experience.

Huge fan of Megaman here, so i'm going to go beyond the scope of the question and give you the full run down on the classic series that you did not ask for:

Megaman 2 is fairly inarguably the best game in the original series, it's even Keiji Inafune's personal favorite.

Second best for the classic series is either 1 or 3, i'd lean towards the original, but a lot of the recognizable secondary mechanics for the series don't really show up and settle in until 3 and 4. (4's pretty alright.)

5 & 6 are totally redundant and easily skipped. They're not exactly bad, they just don't really do anything new or interesting.

7, the SNES game, i personally feel is pretty underrated. That's followed by Megaman & Bass, another SNES game, but one that was never released outside of Japan until a GBA rerelease. (I think Megaman & Bass is pretty great, but it's also notoriously hard.)

8, the PSX game, has some very pretty sprite art, but is otherwise a dreadful game.

Megaman 9 was obviously a big passion project and has a lot of creative and clever design throughout. Megaman 10 is the game they made because 9 sold well. (You see what i said about 5 & 6?)

Anyways... Megaman 2, play Megaman 2.

Anyways... Megaman 2, play Megaman 2.

Cool. Will do! My retro gaming has been going pretty well, so I look forward to trying this classic series out.

Out of curiosity, does the virtual console support emulator features like save states and stuff, or are you stuck writing down the weird Bingo codes like the original NES?

Those codes are one of the only things I remember about Megaman. Quite a few years ago, I was cleaning some stuff out of my room at my mom's house and came across a notebook that was full of codes from games where you had to write your save state down. Such a weird time.

Save states really help some of those retro games. I doubt I'd love super metroid so much if I had to restart each time I was killed by a boss.

Wait, what? It's been a couple years since i last played Super, but isn't there a save station within a few rooms of almost every boss in the game?

Wait, what? It's been a couple years since i last played Super, but isn't there a save station within a few rooms of almost every boss in the game?

I also haven't played Super in a long time but I'm pretty sure that's the case.  I don't remember saving ever being an issue in that game.