melmer

Bloodborne (Dark Souls 2 successor (Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor)))

I likewise don't give a shit about having a million items, so Bloodborne is great!

I like the various weapons in Dark Souls, but I am not a fan of the rings and the armor sets do nothing for me other than appeal to my aesthetic sense. I like that there are lots of sets but I don't like that they all have unique stats, so I basically have to stick with the one that fits the playstyle I'm going for, because I'm not and have no interest in becoming good enough to just wear whatever I want and always be good.

The worst thing about the Dark Souls 1 version, is that there are a bunch of good weapons, but you you don't get enough stuff to upgrade them to max. So you have to choose, or you're really gimping yourself. The lack of max level mats in bloodborne didn't bother me was because I only had 2 weapons I used a lot anyway.

DS2 gives you mats out the ass. I had so many max level weapons by the end of my NG+ play through and I only ever used 3.

I say it's the worst, but is it? Being constrained to one weapons is a good thing. It forces you to pick a play style for your character.

Fashion souls is the best souls.  I loved going through Bloodborne once, but the lack of diversity in items (particularly clothing/armor) is one of the things that stopped me from doing a dozen playthroughs like I have on DS1 and 2.

I bought the expansion and have been trying to find where the bloody thing even starts, haha. It's been fun to come back to the game to be honest. I lost my previous character due to switching profiles so I'm just going in blank again. It's a good feeling.

hot damn when did this come out? Guess I'll get my hunt on tonight! 

It was fun playing you Fallout 4. Hopefully one day I'll find your son.

Sorry I was too busy playing it to post about it. ;P

I will say it's HARD. Like, I more or less breezed through the bosses leading up to the DLC on my new character but the first boss is a real nightmare. In every sense of the word.

I ran into a dumb issue with PSN. 

I have a US PS4 and copy of Bloodborne, since I lived there for a while but have now moved back to Europe. I looked at the box and it said "Region: ALL" so I assumed I could buy the DLC off the EU PSN store and have it work (which I have to do anyway due to no longer having a US billing address).

Guess what, turns out that even if the game isn't region locked the PSN store content is! So I had to buy PSN store credit on Amazon and hope that the PS Europe will refund me. 

DLC so far is pretty interesting. Especially for a Souls Lore Dork like me.

Sorry I was too busy playing it to post about it. ;P

I will say it's HARD. Like, I more or less breezed through the bosses leading up to the DLC on my new character but the first boss is a real nightmare. In every sense of the word.

Oof, that will suck, I'm so rusty I had to give up on the Undead Giant of all things.

In my hype leading up to the DLC, I began giving the Chalice Dungeons a more ernest try, especially after the pre-DLC patch fixed up the co-op. It's a bit of fun for the pure gameplay combat stuff, but still anathema to the beautiful environmental story telling.

Really enjoying the DLC.

It's like a medely of level design throughout the rest of the game. A really nicely done piece of environmental story telling, summarizing the history of Bloodborne lore by taking you to various enviornments. All while remixing known locations in the world, so you are constantly having a "oh I've been here before" feeling, common to dreams (mine, at least).

My primary character is Captain Arthur Hastings, An affable english WWI veteran, the Watson to Agatha Cristie's Poirot.

, explaining the etymology of Mesopotamia. Clearly he is not unfamiliar with the arcane!

So that said, I attempted to bring Arthur Hastings to his full arcane glory with the Milkweed Rune. But I goofed and killed the NPC quest giver too early in the quest. Arthur Hastings has retained his humanity, resisting the urge to peer too far into the unknown.

For what it's worth, my original Bloodborne main was

, named after the gambling playboy from The Way We Live Now, who foolishly endeavors to court the neurotic daughter of a rich ponzi schemer, to inherit their fortune. As is typical for Sir Felix, he rushed into NG+ without caution.

I just played up to the cleric beast...and lost. The camera in that boss is insufferable. Don't remember it being so hard to see what's happening.

On the bright side, I forgot how good this game is. It's like Dark Souls crossed with Bayonetta. It's been so long since I touched it that I completely forgot that I loved it.

I started a new character and played up to Vicar Amelia, entered the DLC, and just got my ass completely kicked, so that'll have to wait. However, I looked up the first new weapon, and it's close enough to the beginning that you can do a suicide run for it. Video: 

I just played up to the cleric beast...and lost. The camera in that boss is insufferable. Don't remember it being so hard to see what's happening.

There are some moments in the DLC where there the camera pulls back a decent amount. I noticed this during one of the larger boss fights, and during a platforming section. I thought this was an interesting new detail, clearly very specific to those moments.

On the bright side, I forgot how good this game is. It's like Dark Souls crossed with Bayonetta. It's been so long since I touched it that I completely forgot that I loved it.

Yeah it's awful in that fight, mostly because of the arena.

How easy is it to play with people deliberately in this one? I wouldn't mind having some more experienced Thumbs to hang with as I make my way through the game for the first time.

Yeah it's awful in that fight, mostly because of the arena.

On the other hand, Father G is amazing. I absolutely love that fight. It's fast paced, you need to be aggressive, you need to use all your tools and the environment to your advantage to win. Such a great fight!

I think they made it easier to play with people now. Not sure how though, I've only ever helped people once or twice, but if you need help, I've recently started a new character who's just finished the 2nd boss. So I'll probably be in the right level range.

How easy is it to play with people deliberately in this one? I wouldn't mind having some more experienced Thumbs to hang with as I make my way through the game for the first time.

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Online

Here's a guide on how to coop in the latest patch. As the host you only need 1 insight, which you can get very quickly, however, you must also use insight to summon a player.

You can get insight by using madman's knowledge (a consumable) which gives you 1, by seeing a boss and by beating a boss. The numbers vary on the boss.

There are other ways, but they're insignificant in comparison to the bosses/madman's knowledge.

Once you beat the first boss (which is a pretty good tutorial boss, you should have enough insight to start using it on coop. I believe you'll have around 8 by that point if you chow down on any madman's knowledge you find. If you'd like help getting to the first boss (there are a few red herrings!) then everyone will be willing to help.

Have you played any Souls games before Gwardinen? If you have, you'll do just fine.

Interestingly, if the gap in levels between the host and summoned player is large enough, the summoned player's stats will be altered to be close to the summoner. I think that's a really neat system. It allows coop with anyone, regardless (almost) of level, but doesn't allow the summoner to be straight up carried through content.

Yeah I've played all of them, though I haven't finished DS2. I just killed the cleric lady boss this morning, which may have been a mistake because I apparently hadn't done an "optional" area called... something alley? I say "optional" because that seems to be the only place to get an item that lets you use powerups at the altar in Hunter's Dream.

Anyway I still don't feel like I know where the hell I'm going or what I'm doing (perhaps because I played UP TO the lady cleric months ago on someone else's PS4, so I've forgotten the entirety of the first couple of areas) so if anyone wants to hook up with me and at least lead me through to the right areas, I'd definitely appreciate it.

Interestingly, if the gap in levels between the host and summoned player is large enough, the summoned player's stats will be altered to be close to the summoner. I think that's a really neat system. It allows coop with anyone, regardless (almost) of level, but doesn't allow the summoner to be straight up carried through content.

This is a great change, but once they added the whole password/play with a friend thing, they should have gone all the way to traditional invites. Once you beat the game you can't help a friend because you aren't physically able to meet them in late-game areas.

Though the last bosses are an exception!