Jason Bakker

Post Your Game for Playtesting and Feedback!

Thanks for the feedback Dino. I didn't even consider that clicking outside the window would be a problem, so thats why this is testing. I think fix #1 will be to add a fullscreen button. I appreciate you're feedback regarding the shot/reload mechanic. My girlfriend found a way to get her score all the way up to 400, but her technique was cheap, so yeah, the difficulty curve needs some balance. Thanks again.

How did you get that sweet kinda fiery-blue effect on the "wheels"? Particles with collisions? I like that a lot.

You know it ;)

Whoa! What was her method?

She probably lowers the speed or raises the fire rate in the public variables available in the Unity's inspector.

Whoa! What was her method?

Shoot as fast as you can, get the goblins early.

I managed to get 628 of those pesky bandits, then the fatigue made me fumble. It was fun. I think it's the bullet-time-freeze mechanic that makes it possible to get really high scores at the moment. ( Maybe time freeze could be saved for headshots or something to balance it ? )

Hey everyone, I am fairly new here but I wanted to see if you would be willing to give me some feedback on a game I made.  This is a joke game I made in one week as a way to blow off steam (and exercise a bit of creative freedom) from the other games I am currently working on.  Basically the idea was to come up with the most ridiculous concept for a game that I could and see how far I could get in a week.  Well at the end of the week I had something that I kept picking up and playing, so i decided to release it.  If you all would be so kind as to give me your honest feedback on what you think I would really appreciate it!

iOS:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/super-lazy-angry-robot-flying/id885564312?ls=1&mt=8

Android build:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8ttmnarlhagy5c/SLARFB.apk

That link didn't work for me either. But I was able to find it easily with the search.

Are you going to continue working on this project? It suggests a lot of things to enjoy, but I think that picking one and tightening it up before doing so to the others would focus your vision. What would be your first priority?

First off thanks so much for taking a look at my game, and offering feedback!  Would you mind explaining a little more what you mean?  The idea of the game is to be a parody of "flappy bird" like games in which instead of cute little birds be the hero they are now lunch.  So that means the primary focus is for the bear to be able to fly up when touching the screen and fall when not, then of course eat the birds when they come into contact.  What part in particular are you referring to?  I will say that there is a bug in the current version that makes the gameplay really bad on lower end devices, in fact it can be completely unplayable on things like an iPhone 4.  An update has been submitted that will resolve that issue.

I found myself wanting to strafe the ground as closely as possible, even with a disincentive to do so (death). Even though it's modeled off of a Flappy Bird system, I could see it going in a Tiny Wings direction just as easily (where timed collisions with the terrain are encouraged). Then of course the perspective begs for it to take on some Star Fox qualities, such as angling your wings to avoid obstacles and shooting.

The thing that I would do if I was making the game is put in something that signifies your altitude clearly in relation to things you want to avoid or hit. There are a lot of ways to do this.

-You could at a level laser-pointer that can be seen on upcoming objects at your current height.

- the camera could be set at a specific altitude that acts as a median for the range in which the player would likely want to be (probably the altitude of the highest mountain) and then angle up when the player is above it and angle downward when the player is below it. This would give the player some idea of altitude.

-Another way would be to give the player a shadow and give the bird's shadows too. This would probably help with gauging the terrain altitude.

-Or you could use crazier solutions like having altitude be a factor for the pitch of a constant hum, upcoming birds could have the same and the 3d sound would allow you to know which tone you are trying to harmonize with.

I found myself wanting to strafe the ground as closely as possible, even with a disincentive to do so (death). Even though it's modeled off of a Flappy Bird system, I could see it going in a Tiny Wings direction just as easily (where timed collisions with the terrain are encouraged). Then of course the perspective begs for it to take on some Star Fox qualities, such as angling your wings to avoid obstacles and shooting.

The thing that I would do if I was making the game is put in something that signifies your altitude clearly in relation to things you want to avoid or hit. There are a lot of ways to do this.

-You could at a level laser-pointer that can be seen on upcoming objects at your current height.

- the camera could be set at a specific altitude that acts as a median for the range in which the player would likely want to be (probably the altitude of the highest mountain) and then angle up when the player is above it and angle downward when the player is below it. This would give the player some idea of altitude.

-Another way would be to give the player a shadow and give the bird's shadows too. This would probably help with gauging the terrain altitude.

-Or you could use crazier solutions like having altitude be a factor for the pitch of a constant hum, upcoming birds could have the same and the 3d sound would allow you to know which tone you are trying to harmonize with.

Thank you so much for your feedback! Sorry for the delayed response to this (i was actually hospitalized, but all is ok) I wish I could have responded to you sooner.  I thought about adding some of these features earlier in the dev cycle, but they didn't really work out as planned.  Moving left or right to dodge made the game extremely difficult and was a bit out of the spirit of a "flap like".  I did try shadows but for some reason Unity wasn't rendering them where you could see them.  This made them virtually useless and just a resource hog on lower end devices.  I do agree that there should be some sort of indicator to help the player know when they are super close to the terrain.  I did try messing with camera angles, but it honestly caused more confusion with so much altitude change.  I will see if I can come up with some sort of altitude indicator in the UI

I am with you on how much fun it is to stay really close to the ground.  In fact just today I was contemplating taking this game and using it as a starting point for a bit more ambitious game.  Same basic idea where you are flying through a canyon of some sort at high speed.  In this new game I think you would be running from some type of enemy instead of chasing them down.  My thought was to implement a radar system to force the player to skim the ground as much as possible.  The higher you are the more you show up on radar, get to high some sort weapon locks on to you and destroys you.  In this version I think i would try to implement lateral movement as well as banking to maneuver around dynamic obstacles (falling bridges, rocks, trees, etc).  I think it could be fun.

Thanks again for your feedback! This community is awesome!

Hi,

Our first game Neuronball is out! We are two indie developers and would love to get some feedback. It is a webgame, free-to-play, currently targetted at PC/Mac and tablets. Check it out!

http://www.neuronball.com

Feel free to contact us ingame or give feedback on this forum.

Blaster Bots http://www.neuronball.com/en/team/2/

Mattamore http://www.neuronball.com/en/team/3/

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this, but the game I've been working on for the last couple of years just went into Beta and we're looking for anyone who is interested in giving it a run through, and possibly helping out with some bug reports (we're a 2 person team).  If anyone is interested, shoot me a message with your e-mail and I'll add you to the mailing list.  For more info on the game, you can read more here.

My Unity shenanigans have finally resulted in something a tiny bit playable. It is currently a short game about being bossed around by NPCs in a foreign language. Hopefully it feels less like edutainment and more like you've entered a strange land. =P But it does introduce a few basic phrases. If you try it I would be delighted!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9OmIvXVZ11VMGxCLXB4UEdFVjg/edit?usp=sharing

(go to File -> Download)

CONTROLS are wasd, left-click to look at stuff, and right-click to use stuff. Be warned it's still very rough, and the only language available right now is Irish. =P

Here also is a video (choppy because of the screen recording software) of me running around ignoring the NPCs who want to talk to me, and instead chasing some chickens. -_-

P.S. I would have posted a Web Player version but my efforts to make it easy to add mods for additional languages means that it's hard to bundle it up for the web -- so a .zip it is, I'm afraid =T

Heyo, I've been working on a True Detective meets Puzzle Agent sort of game, inspired by true events, called Black Feather Forest. There's a website with some info HERE, but I made a little demo (it's more of a vertical slice type deal really) that you can check out HERE (includes win + mac binaries).

BFF_SS5.png

I'm still working on the GUI system and the gameplay mechanics and such, so any feedback is very much appreciated. All the systems will eventually integrate much tighter but I couldn't make that work just yet since it is my first actual game made in Unity. The idea is that you can search for clues in the environment and then use those to talk to other characters and combine all the things you've learned to progress the story. Think Detective Grimoire.

Any feedback is welcome!

My Unity shenanigans have finally resulted in something a tiny bit playable. It is currently a short game about being bossed around by NPCs in a foreign language. Hopefully it feels less like edutainment and more like you've entered a strange land. =P But it does introduce a few basic phrases. If you try it I would be delighted!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9OmIvXVZ11VMGxCLXB4UEdFVjg/edit?usp=sharing

(go to File -> Download)

CONTROLS are wasd, left-click to look at stuff, and right-click to use stuff. Be warned it's still very rough, and the only language available right now is Irish. =P

Here also is a video (choppy because of the screen recording software) of me running around ignoring the NPCs who want to talk to me, and instead chasing some chickens. -_-

Is maith liom é a lán!

It was actually pretty fun and weird when I already knew most of the irish used (I'm extremely rusty since school) so I imagine a language I have no knowledge in would actually be even better. Here's some general thoughts I had:

The voice, I have no idea if the overly deep nature of it is intentional but I loved it. BAHHB made me want to click him over and over. Even if you change voice I highly recommend making the act of hearing it fun in itself, so you encourage people to click everywhere.

On that note, I think you need to really make sure to go all out and make everything clickable. Like the ground, the tree and the windows weren't (as far as I could tell). And have the hit boxes careful and precise cause otherwise you run into trouble with misdirecting the player. I got told the table was a chair if I clicked on one section of it.

You'll also run into issues of ambiguity, with things like the chicken house thing, I'm actually not entirely sure what that irish words mean because I don't know the specific english words they connotate. That might not be a big deal, it depends on how important the idea of teaching the language is to you, if it's more about the wonder of discover in a foreign tongue then I think you're fine.

Chasing the chickens is a good addition, making it as interactive as you can would be a good move. I got a bit frustrated with not being able to open the door that lead inside to a bunch of things for me to click on (until I realised that Sue was meant to open it for me).

Art style, I like the low fidelity blocky look but I'd prefer it if you could make the humans look more stylised, like the chickens. Humans have a shape beyond just a box, and if you just hinted at it a bit more I think it'd look nicer even within the style.

Also a suggested feature (I'm sure you don't already have too much work :P), you could add a wordlist that the person compiles. So when you click on úl and get told it's úl, you can check your book and get a picture of an úl with the word next to it. It'd help with the learning but also if the island gets bigger you'll need something like that for reference in the minor questing.

Overall I liked it so I'd like to see where else you go with it. :tup:

Heyo, I've been working on a True Detective meets Puzzle Agent sort of game, inspired by true events, called Black Feather Forest. There's a website with some info HERE, but I made a little demo (it's more of a vertical slice type deal really) that you can check out HERE (includes win + mac binaries).

I'm still working on the GUI system and the gameplay mechanics and such, so any feedback is very much appreciated. All the systems will eventually integrate much tighter but I couldn't make that work just yet since it is my first actual game made in Unity. The idea is that you can search for clues in the environment and then use those to talk to other characters and combine all the things you've learned to progress the story. Think Detective Grimoire.

Any feedback is welcome!

This looks really nice, I like the art style and I really liked how the starting out scene played out with the tense music and atmosphere. Admittedly, the rest was a bit plain by contrast. Once it cut from the man in the car I wasn't as engaged. I do think part of the issue that caused that (including in the starting scene) is the fact that the characters don't change much. I'm guessing being so early on is a big part of the reason but it definitely helps a lot to have the characters respond to your dialogue choices both with how they answer you in the text but also with their actual face and body language. I know with the art style that's tricky, but if you can make some various stock reactions it'll make the dialogue more engaging and show more of the characters as the player goes through the experience.

The UI and systems all seemed pretty smooth to me, and i often like to complain about such things, so you must be doing something right there. :P

Also as a 99% Invisible listener I definitely approve the UTBAPH reference.

It's funny that my first playtester is someone who knows the language already. ^_^ Thanks for all your comments, SuperBiasedMan! I will keep them all in mind as I go forward (especially the idea of the wordlist; it seems like it would be a nifty addition, if I can figure out a way to make it thorough and yet useable).

I got a bit frustrated with not being able to open the door that lead inside to a bunch of things for me to click on (until I realised that Sue was meant to open it for me).

If you weren't able to open the door yourself that means there is a bug! (Or that the control scheme could be tweaked to something more natural). It should open with a right-click; I am a staunch opponent of doors that only NPCs can open. ^_^

Oh, yes! On double checking I realised that I just didn't know that right click did anything when I tried to open the door, I had been using E to try interact.

Also yeah, Irish is probably one of the better bets for a generally unknown language but I ruined that for you by knowing... a tiny bit. :P

If anyone feels like being super helpful, I'd love to see videos of people playing this for the first time. Game-sound is essential. It may be a little loud; if you are wearing headphones, turn your volume down a lot.

Here is what I'm working on. 

Feel free to just type up impressions too. I still have a lot of stuff I want to implement, but it's been driving me crazy that I haven't uploaded anything.

Sorry, I'm not able to record myself, but I will say that this is oddly satisfying. It's tapping into the same pleasure I get from something like tiny wings obviously, but the sensation of accelerating combined with the visual of expanding and compressing the accordion gives it another level of satisfaction, like it just feels sound. Also being able to create noise is pleasurable, especially since it's tied to whether you're compressing or decompressing. This is cool. 

Chrome blocked it saying that it was malware. It doesn't usually do that when I download zips from Game Jolt.

The art and the interface are really impressive to me. I was surprised by how many animations you put in and how many assets you've already done. My favorite bit is that Caleb(?) checks his phone as a idle-animation. 

I don't really know how to comment on the art beyond saying that it looks good. 

I saw two spelling errors. the first was "address" and the second was "of course" (I think). 

I play visual novels sometimes and I'm not used to the lines of dialogue moving forward without my clicking. I understand that the draining opportunity bar is creating a sense of urgency and engagement during the choice menus, but I'm speaking specifically about the static lines of dialogue. I don't like that the just progress without my clicking. You may have tonal reasons for doing it though. 

I find myself agreeing with SuperBiasedMan when he talks about lacking engagement with the characters. I hope you can find a way to make their personalities stand out immediately just so I have something to attach to. I think that there is a reason to have melodramatic characters initially, even if they become more dynamic and subtle later. I want to have a way I think of them at first just so I have solmething to hold on to.

I know you probably aren't trying to make Twin Peaks: the game, but look at the first time you see Agent Cooper. His idiosyncratic observations give us the sense that he is both literary and thorough. As a bonus, we immediately ask "Who the fuck is Diane?"

Again, I know this might not be the tine you are going for, but watch this scene and think to yourself "How is it that I have so much interest in these two characters in so little time?"

Solid suggestions, thanks! I've heard more people complain about the Chrome malware thing, I suppose it concerns itself with downloading zips with an exe off somebody's personal dropbox. I'll upload it to the website eventually.

Did you dislike the auto-continue because it was too fast or because it continued by itself at all? I can set it to be slower but I feel like that takes the speed out of the dialogue a bit. Although it doesn't much matter when there'll be voiceacting eventually. Maybe a bit slower would be good, you can always still skip manually.