Sign in to follow this  
SecretAsianMan

Riddle me this...

I guess we're abandoning the game premise I came up with, which is fine by me.

A traveller arrives in a village.  He has with him a chain made of gold with 23 links.  The innkeeper agrees to let him stay at a rate of one link per day.  Because the traveller does not know how long he will stay, he must cut the chain into smaller chains in order to pay one day at a time.  What is the least number of cuts required to allow him to stay for any number of days between 1 and 23?

zero

if he wants to stay 23 days, he'll just hand over the whole chain without cutting it

Should you switch? Does it matter?

STATISTICS! A level Maths don't fail me now

1/3 chance to start with, which you get half right or wrong :wacko:

Then a 1/2 chance which booby prize was revealed :frusty:

The real answer is that its still a 50/50 chance but probably if you add all the statistics up it'll have a higher probability toooooo... Switch (wild guess, its 50/50 after all)

The real answer is that its still a 50/50 chance but probably if you add all the statistics up it'll have a higher probability toooooo... Switch (wild guess, its 50/50 after all)

Wild guesses aren't going to win you brand new cars. Your reasoning is not correct.

3 (1) 6 (1) 12 :blink:

ohhhhhhh

day 1 = single cut link

day 2 = two single cut links

day 3 = the three links still linked together, and you get back the two singular cut links

etc etc

riddles are stupid

I lost track of whose turn it is, but I won a maths-riddle so I am going to ask a new riddle!

Two legs it has   And this will confound   Only at rest   Do they touch the ground

First person to guess, wins 166 silver royals, 4 ropes, 2 rings of prandur, and a dalatail milk.

A clock that, once it runs out of juice, droops its hands southward.

That's one of the more inventive guesses I've heard :D but it is not The Answer! (After all, even if the clock was still running, what about 6:30? =)

I lost track of whose turn it is, but I won a maths-riddle so I am going to ask a new riddle!

Two legs it has   And this will confound   Only at rest   Do they touch the ground

First person to guess, wins 166 silver royals, 4 ropes, 2 rings of prandur, and a dalatail milk.

its a bird bird bird

bird is the word

holy shit this guy is a legend

Not a bird either! (Many people think it is a bird, and I can sympathize, but sometimes birds hop or run or do other ground-based activities). That video has hypnotized me into thinking maybe bird is the word after all, though.

A pair of pants?

That's a good one! It's not the answer I was thinking of (and it will not unlock the WORDLOCK RIDDLE CHEST in the game from whence this riddle comes) but I can't think of any other objections (well, except if you're in the habit of crawling).

A golf bag:

post-33601-0-73746800-1394210648.jpg

3 (1) 6 (1) 12 :blink:

day 3 = the three links still linked together, and you get back the two singular cut links

riddles are stupid

Yes! How can I make an assumption that I'll get the original rings back?

A golf bag

Another fine suggestion! Do people want to keep trying to guess the True Answer or have enough viable alternatives been suggested so as to render this riddle Kind Of Lame and I should just spoil it? =P

Is it Angelina Jolie?

two-legs_2153857i.jpg

Can we have a hint? Is 'leg' refering to an part of something. For example "I commence the second leg of my jungle expedition"

Yes! How can I make an assumption that I'll get the original rings back?

Think of it like making change.  It's as reasonable as an assumption that I'm going to get 50 cents back when I use a $5 bill for something that costs $4.50.

Another fine suggestion! Do people want to keep trying to guess the True Answer or have enough viable alternatives been suggested so as to render this riddle Kind Of Lame and I should just spoil it? =P

I was mostly just being a smartass and trying to come up with something that clearly wasn't the answer :P

I agree that a hint would probably be welcome at this point. 

Is the answer 'day'? If you consider that a day has two legs (morning and afternoon), maybe you could say those legs only touch the ground at night (i.e. when the day is resting).

Also, everything I typed above sounds really stupid when I read it back.

Can we have a hint? Is 'leg' refering to an part of something. For example "I commence the second leg of my jungle expedition"

Nope, these legs are just protuberances reaching to the ground which support the weight of the be-legged object in question! (I can give further hints if you wish, but those depend so much on a proper degree of subtlety, and all the ones I can think of at the moment are either too obscure or too obvious).

I will at least tell you that the riddle is from a treasure chest in Betrayal at Krondor, an entertaining computer software program for your Disk Operating System. So if you play that game after we solve this riddle, hey, you get some free treasure!