Sign in to follow this  
SecretAsianMan

Riddle me this...

Yeah, this is like, the first order solution, and everything else is overcomplicated for this kind of problem, but generally, talking with some of my friends in environmental sciences, where this issue can get a little more complex, the answer tends to be 1-2. 

Heh, I was about to propose that solution yesterday but decided not to because I wasn't quite convinced by the equatorial sun / four seasons assumption it involved. Perhaps more importantly, because of the nature of this thread, I was expecting some kind of an exact solution (similar to what Zeus and Rodi proposed). 1-2 leaves on average sounds perfectly reasonable though.

So here's my riddle. It's not a very good one, but I don't want to keep people waiting.

Back somewhere in the 1960 an almost blind man, who's vision was deteriorating, was selected for a highly experimental surgery which could restore his blindness. This surgery would be done in south Switzerland, so this German man would have to travel by train to get to this institude. The surgery went through and was a success. The man could see again. He was so happy his vision was restored he vowed to better his life. He stopped smoking, he stopped drinking, etc. The whole package. After a few days of observation he was discharged from the institute and he could return home. He took the train back home. Not long after the train departed the man committed suicide.

Why did the man commit suicide?

I know that word because my sister worked in a restaurant with that name in Avignon, it's supposed to be some area somewhere.

It's a suburb in inner Sydney. Australian Aboriginal place names often have an abundance of double vowels, and often repeated words.

highlights our weird ass-place names rather well.

He quit smoking and drinking in the hospital, but started again in the train restaurant. Then he was lcWVL4B-4pI on the way back to Germany and thought he was blind again (or the operation finally "restored his blindness"). No, I have no idea.

Then he was lcWVL4B-4pI on the way back to Germany and thought he was blind again.

Close (I assume). A train tunnel made him think that the effect had only been temporary. What a stupid man.

Close (I assume). A train tunnel made him think that the effect had only been temporary. What a stupid man.

If that's the answer it's terrible.

I think this has to be it. Given that the operation was done in south Switzerland, that probably means the train would immediately have to go through the Alps after departing to get to Germany. But then you would also have to assume that there are no lights in the train tunnel and no interior lighting in the train (which is given no mention in the riddle). So if that is the answer then it is indeed pretty terrible.

No, no, I have it.

The man, upon finally catching his breath in the train and enjoying the scenery, discovers a strange note in his pocket that hitherto he couldn't read and had forgotten he received weeks before. As he folds it open the blood drains from his face and his hands start trembling. His eyes dart across the lines and he reaches for the old-timey pistol in his coat. His lips involuntarily move along as he reads: "The last will and testament of the deceased, Thomas Wayne. In the event of my death, I hereby declare that all my worldly possessions pass to my son, Bruce Wayne..."

It's presumably relevant that it's in the 1960s.

I probably didn't use the correct structure in the riddle. Anyway, Nappi is close to the complete answer. He wouldn't have killed himself if he was still smoking. Because then he would have been in the smoking section of the train and see the lit cigarettes.

No, Nappi, you're up. Hopefully you're better in finding a riddle than I was.

In the 60's the trains didn't have any internal lighting?

I don't know. It at least had smoking compartments.

No, Nappi, you're up. Hopefully you're better in finding a riddle than I was.

Ugh.. I'm not, so I will post an old and lame one. Please, refrain from answering if you have already heard this. Unless you know a riddle that is actually good, in which case, knock yourself out.

A girl went to her grandmother's funeral. At the gathering after the burial service, she met a man that she really fancied. They were not related. They talked for some time and seemed to have a lot in common. They promised to keep in touch. When she got home, she found out that she had lost the business card he had given her. She couldn't even remember his name! What is more, she had not given him her contact details. 

Two days later she killed her sister. Why?

:fart:

Is a riddle a riddle if it requires detailed knowledge of 1960s trains and environmental sciences?

The above question is not a riddle, or is it?

A girl went to her grandmother's funeral. At the gathering after the burial service, she met a man that she really fancied. They were not related. They talked for some time and seemed to have a lot in common. They promised to keep in touch. When she got home, she found out that she had lost the business card he had given her. She couldn't even remember his name! What is more, she had not given him her contact details. 

Two days later she killed her sister. Why?

:fart:

So there would be another funeral and he would hopefully be there to give her another business card?

It was Death all along, who then mistook her twin sister for her and framed her for the act!

Correct.

(Because that is how people operate)

Correct.

(Because that is how people operate)

I'm confused. Was that really the answer?

Wow, I meant that as a sick joke. That might now be one of my favorite riddles ever.