clyde

Amateur Game Making Night

I also use Graphics Gale. It's really simple and has pretty much every feature you'd need for pixel art. I've never tried using Photoshop (and I also don't know how, beyond the very very basics), but I've heard it gets in the way more than it helps for pixel art.

As a follow on question, i've been shopping around trying to find the best engine/software for developing a 2.5d Goldenaxe-esque game. I'm absolute beginner level programmer, but a couple of friends are decent with Unity and they suggest that, would it be better just leaving it all to a programmer, or attempting to learn myself?

Also thanks for the first response, Photoshop is quite clunky when setting up Pixel art, so i'll try check GG out

As a follow on question, i've been shopping around trying to find the best engine/software for developing a 2.5d Goldenaxe-esque game. I'm absolute beginner level programmer, but a couple of friends are decent with Unity and they suggest that, would it be better just leaving it all to a programmer, or attempting to learn myself?

Also thanks for the first response, Photoshop is quite clunky when setting up Pixel art, so i'll try check GG out

I'm currently making a 2d game with parallaxing in Unity. I'm not sure how it compares to the other engines, but you just kinda place the sprites on a 3d plane and lock the camera. Of course you have to figure out how to fix all sorts of problems, but I haven't gotten permanently stuck yet.

This thread may be useful to you.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/9285-pretend-i-dont-know-the-first-thing-about-making-games/

Edit: Hmm.. I kind of want to start an Unreal Engine thread on this subforum now. It would be cool to have a place to share tips/tricks/cheat codes/etc.

I've been thinking the same thing. Do it!

4pBUJl6.gif

Been noodling around with camera effects and animations, and I'm starting to worry that my code is getting too tangled and concrete to expand in my haste to add new features. Should probably start working on other systems.

Been noodling around with camera effects and animations, and I'm starting to worry that my code is getting too tangled and concrete to expand in my haste to add new features. Should probably start working on other systems.

This is really nice. I especially like the look of the directional shake you have there.

It does look awesome Blambo. Are you programming in the GameMaker language?

Yep! It's pretty friendly so far. I'm messing around with surfaces and blend modes, and it's pretty painless.

iiCiZvGhj0cgC.gif

Neat! I like what you have so far, animations and camera effects are really effective. If you're looking for more inspiration and haven't seen it, check out

. I believe the demo project he builds is also gamemaker, though I don't know if he posted the source anywhere 

Woah! Rad! The camshake really adds to the feel.

Btw if you're looking to make a more adventure-type game I can highly recommend Adventure Creator. It costs a few bucks, but it has a great amount of features and integrates well with 2D, 2.5D and 3D stuff, like UFPS and such, so it offers a lot of possibilities. And it has rad polygon-based navmeshing and parallaxing. Anyway, I'll put down my marketing hat now but I've wouldn't have been able to make the game I am making without it :)

Speaking of, I've been working on a True Detective meets Puzzle Agent sort of game, inspired by true events, called Black Feather Forest. I posted a demo in the Feedback thread ovah 'ere.

Duuuude I love those solid colors! Lots of information without overrendering, awesome. I keep meaning to pick up that specific package. Is it easy to learn or intuitive in any way?

and heeeere's some bosses I made

ik1KMCmx7MtxK.gif

8hBGRha.gif

Duuuude I love those solid colors! Lots of information without overrendering, awesome. I keep meaning to pick up that specific package. Is it easy to learn or intuitive in any way?

ik1KMCmx7MtxK.gif

8hBGRha.gif

This game is looking more and more awesome each day. Some seriously nice work here.

Wow those are some great creepy characters. really awesome style!

And thanks! Yeah Adventure Creator is pretty easy to get started with, dev has some great tutorials on his website iceboxstudios.com/adventurecreator. There are a TON of options so it takes some experimenting to figure out what works best for you, but I'd say within a week you can have something very playable up and running. I especially like the menu editor, you can create menus visually with sliders and dropdowns without having to run the game, and they scale well to whatever resolution the game is played at.

ik1KMCmx7MtxK.gif

8hBGRha.gif

I'm trying to rewrite the driving code for Tiny Tires (because the physics solution I have now just keeps doing random things, catching little bumps on the track, losing momentum on jumps, etc.)

It's not going entirely well!

https://vine.co/v/M9IIrWjx23F

Bwahaha -- I never get tired of stuff like that. Save that for later and make it a sweet powerup. ^_^

I just discovered that movement-speed has a huge impact on perceived scope. I've been overwhelmed by the need to fill the landscape with structures, but now that I slowed the movement speed I need to fill less space.

I just came across this tutorial video that gives you an good idea of what 2.5d work-flow is like in Unity.

I thought I wanted to make amateur games, but i won't even watch a bloody 3 minute video. I will on the other hand watch hours of music tuition...I guess I know where my heart lies now!

I just discovered that movement-speed has a huge impact on perceived scope. I've been overwhelmed by the need to fill the landscape with structures, but now that I slowed the movement speed I need to fill less space.

Huh what are you making? I was actually thinking about this recently. I want to have realistic distances/traveling times/by foot.

I looked at the

for Unreal Engine 4 and found out that the movement speed there was dramatically slower then any typical FPS game, but it felt pretty natural in the demo.

Hmm, I guess there's always an wikipedia entry for everything, Preferred walking Speed for humans. 1.4 m/s (5.0 km/h; 3.1 mph).

This was pretty interesting.

"Levine and Norenzayan (1999) measured preferred walking speeds of urban pedestrians in 31 countries and found that walking speed is positively correlated with the country's per capita GDP and purchasing power parity, as well as with a measure of individualism in the country's society."

So who's making a game taking this into account?

The game I'm working on is based on a novel form of traversal. Until this morning, My sphere-collider for my player-character had no friction. I could glide to the end of the demo quickly. I'm very slow in creating art-assets, so I was starting to panic about not being able to create enough. Now with the friction, gameplay is pretty much the same, but the landscape doesn't pass by quickly, so I don't have to make as much.

I feel a bit pretentious being tight-lipped, but I'm hoping to get some uncorrupted initial impressions here once I make enough of a level to give y'all a sense of what the game will be like at minimum. I'm getting anxious though.

I have Thursday and Friday off (but Step Up 6 comes out Friday so that's pretty much a half-day). I'm going to try to finish up some really raw build and post it here this weekend.