clyde

Amateur Game Making Night

Did a quick recording to show the current state of Tiny Tires. In short, not much has happened, but it's getting somewhere and I hope I can finish a little public alpha to share with everyone sooooooon.

That looks really awesome. Especially when you ran into the pencil sharpener and it moved a bit instead of being an unmovable object.

These damn beautiful games. They're gawjuss.

I especially love the juiciness you've crammed into yours JKO!

I really hope you're familiar with that term.

Thanks!

Lecabra, local (same-screen) multiplayer indeed! That, and racing against the AI, are up first. When that and this one track is finished, I'm putting out a public build. Get some of that sweet, sweet feedback.

SuperBiasedMan,

I'm intimately familiar with that term. Love that juice!

Welp, now I can't find that awesome talk (I'm pretty sure it was Jan Willem Nijman of Vlambeer) so maybe we made it up and are just weird?!

Ah, it was Martin Jonasson and Petri Purho, with this GDC talk "Juice it or Lose It!"

(or, at least, that was what introduced the word to me)

"Juice it or Lose It!"

This is a neat talk, I'll have to figure out if there's an easy way to implement some of those smoothing functions in Unity.

They mention this book, "Game Feel" by Steve Swink, in that talk, has anyone read that? It sounds really interesting, but it's a little expensive ($40) so I don't really want to just throw money at it.

You can probably get some of those ease functions by using some of the Tween packages out ther for Unity. I'm pretty sure something like iTween has some of those..

I guess Twitch recently added a 'Game Development' category?

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/29/7091727/twitch-game-development-live

I donno if it's new thread worthy, but if people have devs they like to watch, I'd be curious to hear them. This guy, 'binre,' gave a short talk at Boston Indies (a local developer meetup) about streaming development so I've watched his stream a little. I've also been following Dungeonmans for a while now; Jim is really good about talking through what he's doing and engaging with the stream while also being productive. Also he's a nice guy and ya'll should buy his game on Steam (in early access now) if you're into the roguelikes.

I've been thinking about streaming some work days after having set everything up for Extra Life, but I don't want anyone to see the garbage code I've been writing. Maybe when things are a little further along, or for a jam or something. 

Edit: iTween would probably work for this, the first reference link in the youtube video also has a nice chart of the various easing functions and imlementations in a bunch of languages.

Yeah, I'm about to go try out iTween soon, gotta get some more of that juice!

EDIT: There's also GoKit's Tween Library, which is FREE! http://u3d.as/content/prime31/go-kit-tween-library/339

In other news, Youtube has now rolled out their 60fps upload, so here is a reupload of that alpha footage in SUPER SMOOTH 60 frames per second! Yay! Vroom!

(You need to set it to 720p or 1080p to get 60fps and it doesn't, for some reason, work in Firefox)

iTween i hear is pretty good, but we went with GoKit based on performance comparisons, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Also BigJKO your game is looking great as usual.

If anyone is in Canada we just recently put out a limited release on a game I've been working on called Loot Quest: http://s.uken.com/lqios

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPhqIMrz2E8

There's still a lot of work for us to do before it's available world wide and on more platforms, but I'm excited that it's out there and people are playing it finally.

That looks great! The animations are nice. Look forward to seeing how a game like this plays on iOS.

This week I got my Oculus DK2, and today I took one of the levels of InFlux that I revamped for the UE4 Marketplace and, using Teddy’s rollercoaster plugin, added a rollercoaster. It’s basically the same exact thing as the living room Rift Coaster you might have played except it’s in some cool lava-filled caves. It might have higher system requirements, not sure. Download link.

15537317829_32960f00dd_o.png

It runs just fine at max settings on my machine(i7, GTX 970), better than most UE4 VR demos, I'm guessing due to the small level. Unfortunately I'm basically immune to VR roller coasters at this point, so I can't say as to its effectiveness.

Loving the update! It feels way more chaotic with this much movement, though is it meant to be so fast? When I go up in the air I almost feel like Superman.

Also, this is terrible feature creep but maybe it could be done pretty simply? I was thinking it'd be fun if I could choose my own tiny audio files to replace the ones you used for the tones. I was just going to replace the files in the game's folder but it seems that Unity doesn't have the media files just loose (at least not by default). If there's a predetermined method for this I think it'd be awesome... but that could be said about a lot of complex to solve problems.

Loving the update! It feels way more chaotic with this much movement, though is it meant to be so fast? When I go up in the air I almost feel like Superman.

Also, this is terrible feature creep but maybe it could be done pretty simply? I was thinking it'd be fun if I could choose my own tiny audio files to replace the ones you used for the tones. I was just going to replace the files in the game's folder but it seems that Unity doesn't have the media files just loose (at least not by default). If there's a predetermined method for this I think it'd be awesome... but that could be said about a lot of complex to solve problems.

I tried to slow it down, but because I'm using rigidbody.AddForce() I ended up having to tune the masses of all the blocks and stuff like that. I guess I ended up making it faster. I typically play with an analog-stick so I rarely notice it being too fast since I can apply small amounts of force. I'm interested in playing with that some more so that you can do as much with the keys.

As far as custom audioclips, that would be awesome. I'm not sure what would be involved, but I'll look into it. Maybe there is an established way for people to put their own audioclips in Unity games. If nothing else, you know the developer so he can just put them in for you. I'd also be fine with sending you the project file if you want to do it yourself. I'm leaving town for the weekend though, so any of that would not happen until next week.