clyde

Amateur Game Making Night

Implementing my sweet, sick notepad ramp.. I may have made it a bit too steep.. :(

https://vine.co/v/MV77qipvJ7E

Duuuude. This game is genuinely exciting to me.

Are you planning to adjust the ramp to be less steep, or are you finding another solution? I seem to remember Micro Machines v3 handling it by making the tip of ramp surfaces suddenly change the player's speed so that the player doesn't have to approach the ramp at full speed in order to make the jump.

The result is an overly cartoony effect, so it may not be appropriate to your game depending on what tone/feel you're going for, but it's a suggestion nonetheless. :D

(The effect is subtle in this video, but you can see it if you're looking for it.)

That's a good idea! Right now I just adjusted the ramp a bit, and turned the drag down to zero when you're driving on it so you don't lose as much speed driving up it. It works, but it might be fun to try giving the player and extra boost as you exit the ramp.

That's a good idea! Right now I just adjusted the ramp a bit, and turned the drag down to zero when you're driving on it so you don't lose as much speed driving up it. It works, but it might be fun to try giving the player and extra boost as you exit the ramp.

Cool! 

:tup:  :tup:

How long have you been working on this? What you've shown so far looks really polished and nice.

Thanks. I've worked on it for maybe 1 or 2 months, I think.. I did most of the work in February, but then had a a looooooong pause from working on it.

Got some sweet, sweet skidmarks in using my OWN CUSTOM SOLUTION! Holy shit, I thought I was going to fry my brain thinking about this but it worked out in the end. All skidmarks in one mesh, one texture draw call! Hooray!

Pink Texture Skidmarks:

BujMyAlCAAACNI1.png

The actual, real skidmarks with real, sweet skidmark texture:

https://vine.co/v/MVvwpqK2Qhp

https://vine.co/v/MVvvBx6VPWw

Now I just need to figure out why they curl at the ends... :( MATHEMATICAL!

BujXz1HIAAEj3DK.png

That's really rad, I'd have no idea where I'd start trying to do that. Actually, one of the things I'm messing around with could use that functionality! Maybe we should share stuff

Thanks! http://pastebin.com/1sNu1DxT of the code for it, but I don't know how useful it'd be. It's generating a dynamic mesh based on points the cars feed to the script. It redraws the mesh only when a new point is fed to it.

I should figure out some way to optimize the redrawing, so it only adds the relevant new points to it and keeps the old data. Right now it's just capped at 50 skidmarks or so, so the array of skidmarks/points never gets too large to cycle through.

Much better now! No squiggly ends, they fade out nicely AND also the entire skidmark fades out gradually before it hits the max limit on skidmarks and disappears.

Buwo9GlCUAEVwxE.png

BuwueibCAAEf2R6.png

Much better now! No squiggly ends, they fade out nicely AND also the entire skidmark fades out gradually before it hits the max limit on skidmarks and disappears.

This is looking really nice, now I feel kinda bad for having suggested such a hacky solution when you were talking about this in IRC.

I made an enemy sprite for my penis game, It has a cartoon penis. Just so you know.

VlH7iyO.png

Excellent penis man for your penis game, SpennyDubz.

Dinosaursssssss, don't worry about it! ;) It was still a valid solution you had and, considering I'm not a programmer, my custom solution might be wildly CPU expensive. I just don't know. Scary..

Man, your porting of old stuff into UE4 makes me super jealous of all the cool shaders and stuff you get... I'm stuck with Unity Free's stupid, boring, regular shaders and no SSAO or anything!

Which is to say, that looks great Lacabra!

Is unity 5 free going to have the new lighting stuff?

As far as I know, the features for the free version haven't yet been announced. :(

Edit: can someone remind me again why the sad face a crazy tomato in these forums?

If you're talking about the physical-based Standard Shader or whatever it's called, from what I could glean from a demo talk on it it's not doing anything you can't already do in Unity Free with custom shaders (granted, that's probably loads of work!). Just making it easily available in one big Standard Shader. And making the workflow much easier to get Skybox ambience on your models instead of just a single ambient color.

But I think they have some new real-time GI solution thing? That's proooobably not a Free feature.

I gotta go read into this a bit.

EDIT: I might be talking out of my ass on the Physical-Based Shader.. It just didn't look like something you couldn't already do in a custom shader. It might be MUCH more technical than that.

Aye, you can do almost anything in Unity Free but the lighting system is seriously underpowered there. I just don't understand that stuff at all.

Is unity 5 free going to have the new lighting stuff?

They haven't announced it, but I seriously doubt it'll be in the free version, or at least a lot of the features won't work on certain platforms like iOS without Pro versions.  I'm sure more info will be revealed at Unite next week.

They haven't announced it, but I seriously doubt it'll be in the free version, or at least a lot of the features won't work on certain platforms like iOS without Pro versions. I'm sure more info will be revealed at Unite next week.

Man it seems like continuing to lock up modern default lighting behind the pay gate would be a huge misstep, now that they're competing with Unreal and Crytek and the like on price at this point. Default Unity lighting feels a decade old now.

Man it seems like continuing to lock up modern default lighting behind the pay gate would be a huge misstep, now that they're competing with Unreal and Crytek and the like on price at this point. Default Unity lighting feels a decade old now.

Yep, it's pretty frustrating. Still, I guess nothing has been confirmed either way, so for all we know they could be totally redoing the pricing for 5, making the pro features more easily accessible.

Wishful thinking, I know :P

Thanks pal. <3

In the meantime here is a potato-filmed video of the truck thing

The truck thing continues to look awesome. I've said this before but man, that suspension looks so arcadey and good!