subbes

The Idle Thumbs 10th Anniversary Committee

Also, I wanna' try my hand at one of these now.

I think that would be a neat idea.  Especially if we get multiple canvases made, we might want to use different thumb forum artists for them...

Tabacco, is there any way you can make this thread invisible to the forum profiles of the Idle Thumbs podpeople (and possibly Campo Santo, just to be safe) ?

edit:

Yes. It would be funny.

(Should the thread name be changed to include C/FNB as well?)

Why? It's not a gift to Nick...

Yeah it's possible that I don't get the rules of this conspiracy but I fully support it anyway.

We have enough funds for the Nick canvas!  If you'd like to donate but haven't yet, please contact me within the next 10 hours.

A SECOND MAJOR DONATION HAS HIT THE FUND

We now have enough money to do the diptych.  Holy crap.  

Can the Vanaman bobblehead be posed with a dead deer?  Sean's killed before, right?

I'll volunteer to do the diptych if only because they could be painted in a similar style to Jake's portrait, forming a triptych.

But if other people are interested in doing this please do so!

My vote is for Nick. It'd be cheaper.

Also, I feel it would be less insulting to the lord.

I've got a big post in the works with plans and next steps but I want to wait until the donation period is finished before getting too specific.

Don't forget I'm married to another forum member, who is more than capable of preventing that.  

If the worst does happen and I'm unable to continue leading this adventure, I'll pass the reins over to someone else.

oh my god, there was a post right above this one by someone claiming to also be shammack's wife, but it's gone now

Edited by subbes

That's me wearing a "shammack wearing a Nappi costume" costume.

Tabacco, is there any way you can make this thread invisible to the forum profiles of the Idle Thumbs podpeople (and possibly Campo Santo, just to be safe) ?

Not without banning them from the whole forum, which they'd probably notice :(

Any chance you could alter the title of the thread to something like "Jake, Chris, Sean, Nick, please don't read this thread"?

Edit:  Thank yoooooooouuuu!

Edited by subbes

Better safe than sorry!

The donation period has ended!

tl;dr: We have enough money for what we want to do, and more.  I would love for Idle Thumbs forum members who are artists to provide artwork.  Artists will receive a small $ in return for use of their artwork.

Total funds: ~$395  (some funds are not in USD, therefore total may vary subject to exchange rate fluctuations during conversion)

Allocated funds:  $210

Unallocated funds:  ~$285

Our next steps are to gather artwork, and decide on what art will be used for what canvas.   Read on...

In progress:

• Jake "Video Games" Rodkin canvas
  • CanvasPop has sent me a digital proof, and it looks good.  Unfortunately the design of their proofing page means this is the only way I can share it.

Planned:

• One small canvas portrait of Nick Breckon.  Dimensions: 10" h by 8" w
  • One diptych featuring J Allard and Bobby Kotick. Dimensions:  two canvases, each 24"h by 18"w
  • Third small canvas for a freeform/Idle Thumbs related subject. Dimensions: 10" h by 8" w
  • Gift note/letter to be sent at the same time as the Jake canvas, listing contributors (I will be writing and mailing this)
  • Artist consideration (see below)

Call for Art

We need artwork for each of the three planned canvases.  If you are willing to provide artwork for any of these ideas, I am happy to offer a token of my appreciation for art used in the gifts.  Since this is a non-commercial project running on donated funds, it won't be much - probably about $50-$80 per piece of artwork used in each finished gift.  I'll be making up the difference if the collected funds won't cover the artist consideration.

If you would like to submit artwork

• You must be an existing Idle Thumbs forum member, registered on or before January 15th, 2014.
  • Your artwork should be suitable (CanvasPop's requirements are here)
  • Your artwork must be submitted by 23:59 PST, January 25th, 2014 (that's Saturday night). 
  • Post your artwork, or a link to your artwork, in this thread.
  • Submitting your artwork gives us permission to use it for this purpose.  You will retain all other rights.

Once artwork is submitted

• If there are multiple pieces of artwork for a planned gift, I will set up a vote for donors to decide which artwork is used.
  • If there are 0 pieces of artwork for one or more planned gifts, I may either repurpose unused artwork submitted for another planned gift, or change the planned gift.  Donors and artists will be consulted.
  • In cases of tie or deadlock, shammack and I will be tiebreakers.

I appreciate the thoughts and suggestions everyone has offered in this thread.  If your idea doesn't get turned into a gift, please don't feel slighted.  

Oh, also, I propose that since we're 4 pages into this bad boy, we stop using spoilers.   :)

Wait. You have this power?!

Should have dug this out with some really unassuming title like, uh... "video games"

Also, possibly the best gift idea ever.

Wait. You have this power?!

Muahahaha.

Also, one thing you might consider for some of the unallocated funds is hitting up Cheap Pete's (there's one by the Trader Joe's in San Rafael) and snagging some appropriately tacky gold frames:

http://www.cheappetes.com/frame/greatWallFrames

It's what we did with some original art from Steve at Telltale back in the day, and it was amazing.