Sign in to follow this  
Zeusthecat

The 'Does this thread exist?' thread

Sorry, I'm misusing this thread, but does anyone remember where it was here that someone was pointing out holes in Minority Report (something about his eye colour) recently? I just re-watched the film and want to go back and see what that person was saying, but I can't find the damn post!

I can't figure out which combination of search words would bring me to a general hardware/product recommendation thread. I need to buy a basic microphone for gamin' and also maybe a disc drive for my computer.

I can't figure out which combination of search words would bring me to a general hardware/product recommendation thread. I need to buy a basic microphone for gamin' and also maybe a disc drive for my computer.

You could probably use this thread.  It's sort of a catch all for computer stuff.

I have no help for Ben sadly.

This forum is weird. All the posts have pages and pages and it makes me feel like it's not okay to just make a new post about whatever.

In the case of this post topic: I think it's good to do a search just to see if your subject is something too often talked about, but if it hasn't been talked about for a while, who cares? Is this community toxic?

I'm a fan of people bumping old threads pertaining to their subjects since they never get locked, but I don't think anyone minds if you don't.

Considering about once a month someone starts this running joke where 5 separate threads are made of the same thing at the same time, I think you're fine.

But, this is an intensely toxic community, beware!

Do we have a thread with the current podcast promotion codes?  I don't remember seeing one.  That way if you want to use one of the promotions and aren't in a position to write down the code, you can just reference the thread. 

Do we have a thread with the current podcast promotion codes?  I don't remember seeing one.  That way if you want to use one of the promotions and aren't in a position to write down the code, you can just reference the thread. 

I've considered making that thread multiple times but I have yet to actually use a single one of the services that sponsor the cast so I figured I'd let someone who actually has used them do it.

Do we have a thread where we can ask for help with remembering the titles of movies seen 15 years ago?

Ok, since nobody answered my question I assume we don't (now thinking about a different movie, though).

So surely this thread exists, but I can't find it for the life of me: Can someone link me to the Walking Dead Season 1 thread?

I promise I searched, none of the 112 hits for "walking dead" in the video gaming forum seemed to be the thread dedicated to the game itself.

Putting "site:https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums" in your search will only return results from this website, too, so it's pretty much the optimal way to search almost any kind of forum. I've never encountered a forum search function that I didn't find unsatisfactory. U:

Putting "site:https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums" in your search will only return results from this website, too, so it's pretty much the optimal way to search almost any kind of forum. I've never encountered a forum search function that I didn't find unsatisfactory. U:

I'm usually too lazy to type that, if you just search "idle thumbs" the majority of the time the first link includes the "More results from www.idlethumbs.net" that automatically adds that. 

Guys, just go to the top right, type what you want, then change "this topic" to "forums."

I think it'd work better if it always defaulted to forums though.

Yes but as discussed the forums search is not as effective?

I'm with Twig, forum searches are hardly ever good.  I don't remember what I was looking for, but I do recall at some point trying to use the forum search for something but because all the search terms were 3 letter words it was useless.  Google found it right away.

I'm usually too lazy to type that, if you just search "idle thumbs" the majority of the time the first link includes the "More results from www.idlethumbs.net" that automatically adds that. 

If you want to be even lazier, you can set up custom searches in Chrome.  Right click on the address bar and pick 'Edit search engines...'  Scroll to the bottom and make a new one for the forums.  You can call it whatever you want and give it a keyword shortcut (I called mine Idle Thumbs and used 'it' for the keyword).  Then put this in for the URL

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&q=site:idlethumbs.net/forums+%s

When you want to search the forums, just go to your address bar, type in your keyword shortcut, hit space, then whatever you're looking for.

Is there a thread for TV hunting? Or maybe just "is this a good thing to buy and if not what are your recommendations"?

Is there a thread for TV hunting? Or maybe just "is this a good thing to buy and if not what are your recommendations"?

You're probably looking for the home theater thread, but all the information in it is out of date, so I'll just answer you in the Life thread.

Do we have a thread dedicated to making posts about the first post on a new page? I realize this describes practically every thread but I want one where each post at the top of a new page is followed by 19 posts commenting on that post. I wonder how far up its own ass a thread like that could get?

Is there not a thread for Hex, the trading card game? It seems like it ought to have one already, but I can't find it (the forum search is terrible and "Hex" isn't exactly a great SEO name).