ysbreker

Games giveaway

And yep, specifically a 360 controller is the way to go -- USB version (not wireless). A lot of games support it right out of the box, so to speak, and it just makes everything a lot easier.

Why not wireless? Mine works awesome from all the way over here on my pillow. Nomnomnom.

If you really want, keep your Steam on your HD and copy your most favourte game your SSD and link it back to the original steam folder. It may mess up if you try to move stuff around though!

Wireless controller used to have a lot of issues (with drivers, I think). I don't know what they were secifically, or if it still does.

Why not wireless? Mine works awesome from all the way over here on my pillow. Nomnomnom.

You have to buy the wireless receiver, which I believe Microsoft stopped making... which means there's likely to be driver issues in the future.

Even if you do find a wireless receiver, it's extra money that you wouldn't need to spend if you just get a wired controller. Plus, you know, batteries. And weight, too.

I already had a 360 controller from owning a 360, and it's wireless. I've never ever had issues with drivers, and as far as batteries since it came with the play and charge cable. As far as I can tell Microsoft still makes the reciever as its still on Amazon, though as stated that's an extra $19 you wouldn't have to spend. Then again with this new Steam big picture mode it might be worth it if you plan on ever hooking your PC up to a tv. The point is that the wireless controllers work fine, but costs more and may not matter to you.

The cable on my wired 360 controller decided to become extra finicky and only work if I hold it in a certain position, so about a month ago I dropped $15 on a receiver to go with the wireless 360 controllers I own due to owning a 360. Works great. Didn't know there were ever issues with it.

Waitaminute, I thought wired Xbox 360 controllers were out of production? I had one which came with my console and I'm super happy and careful with because it's my only one. I hate, with a passion, wireless controllers. They're bulky and I need to dick around with batteries - no thanks.

Wired 360 controllers are still in production, yes.

The wireless receiver was actually really horrible when it first came out, because Microsoft didn't have the drivers into their plug-and-play database so you'd have to dig around in their help files on their support site. Beyond that, Xinput wasn't really very popular until relatively recently, or in other words the 360 controller wasn't officially supported by a lot of games for the first year or so after it came out.

I actually threw mine into storage after the first six months of practically no use, but I dug it up a few weeks ago and it works like a charm now that games actually support it and Windows 7 installs the drivers as soon as you plug it in.

I already had a 360 controller from owning a 360, and it's wireless. I've never ever had issues with drivers, and as far as batteries since it came with the play and charge cable. As far as I can tell Microsoft still makes the reciever as its still on Amazon, though as stated that's an extra $19 you wouldn't have to spend. Then again with this new Steam big picture mode it might be worth it if you plan on ever hooking your PC up to a tv. The point is that the wireless controllers work fine, but costs more and may not matter to you.

Where is this? Got a link?

If you're referring to this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows/dp/B000MGVAAQ

Most reviews say it's a 3rd part knock-off trying to pretend it's official.

Oh yeah I didn't see that. That's weird, I ordered mine maybe a year or so ago and got a Microsoft one so I assumed it was the same. The reviews I see all seem to say that it still works fine, but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

You can change the default folder for your Documents/Music/Photos etc by right-clicking on them and selecting Properties.

Oh awesome, thanks, I was wondering about this. Also my free Assassin's Creed 3 download automatically used a temp folder on my C drive to extract, then ran out of room or something, so I've probably got a few gigs of useless AC3 files clogging it up at the moment.

BTW - If anyone pre-ordered The Devil's Playhouse, make sure you get your Steam TF2 hats. Even if you don't use them, you can trade them for games. I put my Max's Severed Head hat up on TFOutpost.com and sold it within 30 mins. (I swapped all my DP goodies for SSFIV and The Walking Dead.)

Pretty nifty!

Whoa I had no idea that someone had set up an item trading site sort of thing. Maybe I can get rid of this crap in my inventory finally. I wonder if anyone will give me Far Cry 3, XCOM, and Mark of the Ninja for my frying pan.

I recently got myself a new graphics card which provided a code for Assassin's Creed 3. I already own AC3 through steam and so have no need of the extra code. The extra code needs to be redeemed through here and from what I can tell is not attached to steam. So I think this would work for you UK folks who apparently can't get AC3 through steam. If anyone on my current steam friends list wants this code it is yours.

WARNING

Also my free Assassin's Creed 3 download automatically used a temp folder on my C drive to extract, then ran out of room or something, so I've probably got a few gigs of useless AC3 files clogging it up at the moment.

I used to have my hard drive partitioned so that the C: partition was very small and just my OS while the rest was a data/programs partition (D:) and stuff that extracted itself to a temp folder on C: was the worst. I guess with the advent of solid state drives that problem has come back in full force. HILARIOUS.

I have enough games to play so I won't take your AC3 code but, Ben, if you want to post me your hard drive (that's the British word for 'mail' right? Post?) I'll happily clean the useless gigs off. Then keep the hard drive. An SSD would be sweet! I'll send you like a biscuit in return or something. (That's the British word for 'cookie,' right?)

That's an odd place for an introductory post, but welcome.

Hmmm...I got a PM from that user asking for my AC3 code. I suppose he/she only made the account for that sole purpose. Sorry buddy, ain't happenin'.

Hi, I'm new, nice to meet all of your free stuff.

I am seriously considering pulling my old Linux box out of retirement and trying to install Windows 98 on it to see whether that's legit.