N1njaSquirrel

Webcomics

My favourite currently-running webcomics are:

Gunnerkrigg Court - children go to a school that is also a technomagical institute in the middle of a magical forest. Gorgeous art.

Nimona - An evil genius and his shapeshifting sidekick. nicely subversive.

Paranatural - Boy moves to town, finds out town is full of ghosts, joins paranatural activity club. Hilarious and so anime.

Loved paranatural to begin with, but lately he's gotten off the funny and now I just find it kinda boring. It was much more my thing when it was poking fun at anime tropes rather than just being anime tropes.

Speaking of webcomics: Channelate is hilarious now. Going back too... even a couple years ago it was kinda eh. But the guy seems to have found his footing now.

It's crazy that I recognise 90% of the comics in this thread. Oglaf is both great and nsfw and/or not safe for watching with grandparents.

I made a webcomic once, with crazy gif and layering shit. Only took me about 5 hours per page, but I was pretty terrible at visual communication when I started. It's a shame more online comics don't take advantage of the digital mediums, but the ones that do are usually pretty radical as all of the hells.

I don't know if there's ever been a Dinosaur Comic that I didn't find amusing on some level, even if it was just the alt-text, which is incredibly impressive given the large quantity of Dinosaur Comics. Love that shit, yo.

Also I just realized this is not the Internet Comics thread. I went back to check the things I'd already recommended so that I wouldn't re-recommend them (or maybe I WOULD, who knows!!!), but my posts are nonexistent in this thread! That's convenient for me.

Erfworld takes what could have been a pretty cheesy premise- strategy game nerd gets sucked into a punny world resembling a strategy game- and gives it good art, characters with personality and motive, and a conflict that amounts to more than good vs evil. I can't recommend it enough.

JL8 and Strong Female Protagonist are both fantastic.  Thanks!

I didn't actually notice Strong Female Protagonist in that post the first time around, but it's very quickly become my favourite ever superhero comic.

So Nimona's ending soon, which reminded me of other great finished works in webcomics, specifically Narbonic and Digger. Do either hold up, or were they just good for the time, when people didn't really expect webcomics to do more than make tech support or video game jokes?

I think Digger is still seen as a classic, whereas no-one I know has mentioned Narbonic in, like, ever.

Anyone else reading Gunnerkrigg Court? On the latest page, is that Jack and Zimmy?

Anyone else reading Gunnerkrigg Court? On the latest page, is that Jack and Zimmy?

It's definitely Jack, but me (and large parts of the GC forums) are unsure whether that is actually Zimmy. I guess it could be, but then she's changed quite a bit.

I had to jump back a few chapters in Gunnerkrigg to catch up. The Mort story is really good.

Hell, these one-shot chapters do a lot more for me at this point in the story's development. The world has become so rich over these past few stories.

I'm so fucking glad that this Chainsawsuit exists; because cloying, sappy fanmade epilogues to Calvin & Hobbes are the worst goddamn thing.

DSF2td7.png

I liked that one.

Honestly I'm pretty up on chainsawsuit right now because the commenters did me a favour recently

I only found about Nimona a few weeks back when Tegan mentioned it but I'm still on tenterhooks about its imminent conclusion in a way that I wouldn't have expected.

It's one of the few Webcomics I've read which I really feel there is almost no bloat to it. Even when it wasn't advancing the plot it was building character.

I'm quite fond of String Theory. It's a science-fiction comic set in an alternate timeline where the cold war never ended, and the plot focuses on a scientist's descent into supervillainy.

It's still ongoing, and the art improves significantly as it goes on.

Yeah I just read the entirety of Nimona and now I'm freaking out about the ending. DAMMIT TEG.

It wasn't meeeeeeeeeeee

My favourite currently-running webcomics are:

Gunnerkrigg Court - children go to a school that is also a technomagical institute in the middle of a magical forest. Gorgeous art.
Nimona - An evil genius and his shapeshifting sidekick. nicely subversive.
Paranatural - Boy moves to town, finds out town is full of ghosts, joins paranatural activity club. Hilarious and so anime.

Osmosich, you should read recently-started print comic Lumberjanes. It's cowritten by Noelle Stevenson of Nimona fame and involves cool girls punching paranormal things.

I think in my case i think it's because I started reading Cucumber quest & Nimona at pretty much the same time after you & Tanukitsune mentioned them in the comics thread

Gigi D.G. answered some questions about Cucumber Quest (which you really should be reading, you know), and I'm super happy about this one:

I mean, I thought it was obvious, but yay!

Speaking of webcomics, while "blind grinding" I read Nimona, from one of the authors of Lumberjanes.... only to find out it's ending soon.

Overtime I must have forgot who recommended what & assumed it was because your avatar is a Lumberjane  it MUST have been you who recommended Noelle Stevenson stuff. 

Cucumber Quest continues to make me super happy about the way it handles representation.

63oIa98.png

Yes.

Yes it is.

I just realized I'd love to see an animated version of Broodhollow. Wouldn't really be all that long so far, but yes. I would.

I keep finding great tumblr artist peeps who I wish did more stuff.

b9wXBjn.jpg

jrs7SJ2.png