Irishjohn

Idle Explorers (Spelunky, um, thumbs)

I played this latest one at the same time as a friend, over Mumble. I recorded it. Unfortunately, the sound levels are wonky and I'm way quieter than he is. Hopefully I fixed that for future runs. Also another friend comes in out of nowhere to say hello with the worst microphone in existence.

Anyway, the ending is very sad.

Ugh. Today's run was garbage. I'll still throw it on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/jjharney) but I won't post it here, not least because I forgot to lower the sound again so it's a bit tough to hear me ruminate on how I begin to panic as soon as my character suffers damage.

This was the first run I did where I was able to get the recording software to work. In it, my jetpack goes to my head.

That noise you made when you saw the jetpack in the store is more or less exactly how I react when I'm able to afford it, too. Great stream!

I played this latest one at the same time as a friend, over Mumble. I recorded it. Unfortunately, the sound levels are wonky and I'm way quieter than he is. Hopefully I fixed that for future runs. Also another friend comes in out of nowhere to say hello with the worst microphone in existence.

Anyway, the ending is very sad.

It's a pity about the sound... I have no idea how to do this, but could you guys do a split-screen video of both games while talking? Maybe that's too much to try and work out but I think it would be cool.

I tried setting up the Open Broadcast Software using the instructions on the twitch page, but it didn't really work out...

My run last night was going fairly well, but ended sadly in the jungle world when I got trapped underneath a tiki trap with no room to manuever and an exploding frog landed on me. No way out of that situation other than to avoid getting in it in the first place.

It's a pity about the sound... I have no idea how to do this, but could you guys do a split-screen video of both games while talking? Maybe that's too much to try and work out but I think it would be cool.

Yeah, the sound is pretty bad, hah. Sorry. ): I wouldn't have even posted it if I didn't like the death so much. :D

Doing a sort of split-screen merger of the video was my original idea. Unfortunately, he can't stream. He can only record on Fraps. Which would make it hard for me to watch him if I die first. I'm gonna see if I can't figure out how to make his streaming not destroy his framerate.

It's the first thing your character does when you starts a new adventure!

Holy crap yes!

I had no idea that you could throw ropes down.

If I had a dollar for every time, up until this moment, that I jumped over an empty space, threw a rope, and prayed that I'd grab it in time, well... I could at least buy a copy of Spelunky for a friend. Good to know.

In which I muse on what the shadows in Spelunky say about it's fiction and use a jetpack a bit more sensibly. Sorry for the weird echo effect, I didn't know OBS would record both my voice through the microphone and my voice coming into my headphones.

So do we want this thread to be our de facto Explorers' Club or would people prefer to start picking and choosing notable days? I ask because this is my fourth day in a row and I don't want to spam the thread. Anyway, I would have posted this one regardless: 

I'm probably only gonna post notable days (10/18/13 NOT being one of them for me), though I'll be uploading all of them to my YouTube channel here, if you want to subscribe.

EDIT:

On second thought, given that me and you died the EXACT SAME WAY, I'll post it.

Irishjohn, Usually the loss of accrued resources and accomplishment is what pains me at death; this time is was because I wanted to find out more about teaching about communism to american youth as a european expatriate.

Patrick, your musings about shop-keeper message-boards were interesting. Because you mentioned that you died the same way as IrishJohn, when I heard that bat flap, it was tense.

You guys make me want to capture a Daily-challenge or two, but I doubt I'll be able to say more than "Oh shit!" and "Are you fucking kidding me?" the entire time.

You guys make me want to capture a Daily-challenge or two, but I doubt I'll be able to say more than "Oh shit!" and "Are you fucking kidding me?" the entire time.

Yeah, in terms of how I sound while playing Spelunky, only three days old, Nick Breckon provides a better experience of baby rage and all that.

I was just now thinking how creepy it would be to watch multiple streams of the same Daily and when each player gets to a certain point, they say something ritualistic and then commit suicide in a very specific manner. Then they just go "I don't know what happened there, well, I guess that's the run for today."

Today I made it to the Olmec Head, and then I tried the daily challenge and of course didn't do nearly as well.

I did good.

Sorry that I don't know how to properly capture video aspect ratios and sound.

Daily Challenge 10-20-2013