Irishjohn

Idle Explorers (Spelunky, um, thumbs)

You know you can simply put down the thing you are holding just over the edge so that it drops down. You don't have to dangle on the edge.

My run of today went well until I reached a bunch of arrow traps in 1-3. I shouldn't have died there. I did use the webgun to stop a arrow in its path.

Daily for the 16th. As I mention in the video, my practice run was pretty great, so it's inevitable that my daily should be bloody awful. I always choke when tossing bombs at giant spiders!

El Muerte, I do not believe that you "did that on purpose" :P It was cool though, good reflexes!

But I did do it on purpose. Why else would I jump down. I was just expecting to die from the attempt.

Survived giant spider trap and the Black Market massacre and got the Hedjet for the first time, then got killed by a dick yeti-

By the way, provided that I had noticed the Jetpack I got from Kali right before I died, would it somehow have been possible to switch the cape for that?

By the way, provided that I had noticed the Jetpack I got from Kali right before I died, would it somehow have been possible to switch the cape for that?

If you're wearing a cape and pick up a jetpack, you put on the jetpack and drop the cape.

Edit: There was also the jetpack in the black market you could have picked up

Ugh.. you are right. I was wondering whether I can still get spin the wheel to get the jetpack, then got scared by the ghost and quickly bombed my way through the floor. And the wall. And did not pick up the jetpack... Jesus, I need to get better at this.

Just out of curiosity, but very much related: How many hours have you put into Spelunky at this point?

Ugh.. you are right. I was wondering whether I can still get spin the wheel to get the jetpack, then got scared by the ghost and quickly bombed my way through the floor. And the wall. And did not pick up the jetpack... Jesus, I need to get better at this.

Just out of curiosity, but very much related: How many hours have you put to Spelunky at this point?

Hmm... that's a good question... I think I'm somewhere around 80 hours on steam?  But I've also played some Spelunky on xbla.  I would guess somewhere around 100-120 hours all told?

Man that sounds like a lot now that I think about it.

my Steam says 14 hours. So I think about 12-14 hours, mostly daily challenges.

Had a fight with a giant spider that did not go well at all for me today.  Also, this might be unwatchable again, obs is still dropping like half the frames.  I've been playing with the settings and I think I've got it figured out for tomorrow though.

I also failed battling the spider, but I ended with 2 hearts. I diend in the same level while trying to rescue the dog

I've been doing super badly in recent dailies, and today was no different. I just took a ton of unnecessary damage, and actually straight up died to a bat (so didn't get pushed into spikes or anything). Yesterday I scored a whooping $0 points. I could and would swear that I paused the game, that I even heard the 'beep-boop' of the diary opening. I stepped away for more than two and a half minutes, I come back and I've been killed by the ghost.

But, in a regular game from start to finish, I beat Olmec today! Hooray! I don't know if it considered cheap to bomb a hole in the ground and just lure the big dumb head there, but that's how I did it.

129 deaths, 1 victory, with 19 hours played according to Steam.

Niiiiice. Too me more hours than that to beat Olmec for the first time, so you've got me whupped. Congrats!

BUT! I trounced you in today's daily, and here's the evidence. I had loads of fun with today's seed, and I saw something which I'd never seen before in the black market. Died in a stupid way, though.

BUT! I trounced you in today's daily, and here's the evidence. I had loads of fun with today's seed, and I saw something which I'd never seen before in the black market. Died in a stupid way, though.

Nice run today. There was a mattock in a crate that you ignored on 3-2, which would have been a safer way to gain access to the gems on that level, not sure if you saw it.  I liked how you dealt with the giant spider on, what was it, 1-2 or 1-3? I can't remember.  It didn't cross my mind to use a rope until I saw you do it.  I should probably have thought of that.

Thanks hammerpants :) I have watched my run since then and seen the mattock, but at the time I didn't notice it for some reason. Those dollar signs in my eyes sometimes make it difficult to see.

I did get a bit lucky with that bomb; I intended for it to go where it did, but I never thought that it actually would

I didn't know there was another way to beat Olmec, cheap or not. Boss-battles are always cheap.

I think it's unfair you get hit when you're haning on a wall and something jumps at you form below. I still have the damn shoes on.

I beat the game a second time, this time in the daily!

Looks like beating the game was exactly what I needed. Yesterday, at the beginning of the game that I ended up winning, I thought to myself, "Maybe I shouldn't play for a few days, because I just seem to be getting worse". Then I beat the game literally twice in a row without dying (although there was about 30 hours between the games :P). And today, I wasn't sweating like a gimp in a sauna during the boss battle.

I guess now I should set my sights for Hell, and that weird spaceship level that appears in the ice caves. I've been to the latter one once, but I killed myself literally within 15 seconds.

I was doing well, but then I reached a classic Spelunky "everything goes horribly wrong" stage and died

Pretty lackluster run, ended in the black market to a stupid mistake.

The thing I'm more excited about is I finally achieved a no score run in this goddamn video game!