TheLastBaron

Sports

Man Sharks fans are acting like winning their first three games of the season means the series against the Kings didn't happen. They remind me of Arsenal fans with the way they go through cycles of delusional confidence at the start of every season and then end up wallowing in self pity when they choke.

I haven't been able to watch as much NHL as I wanted this season but what I have watched in droves is Japanese sumo. I got into it this past May. For those that don't know there are 6 tournaments (or Honbasho) a year, ~every 1.5 months. So I've watched the last three ones and absolutely loving it.

I don't like any kind of martial arts. I think judo, wrestling and jiu-jitsu is really boring and MMA waaaay too violent. Boxing and Taekwando can be interesting but matches go on for so long. That's a thing I really like about sumo is that the longest bouts are like 1.5 mins so I can watch it in bite-sizes.

There are two great Youtube channel that I follow for Japanese sumo tournaments Kintamayama: This guy posts edited compilations of every bout, everyday when a tournament is going on. He edits in nice little info on the wrestlers(or Rikishi), the bout before and the bout. Jason's All-Sumo Channel: He only does a couple of bouts for each day but he records it from the English commentary feed and gives his own commentary. He also records the pre-bout ritual stuff if you're interested in that sort of stuff.

The New York Islanders are looking fierce this year. 

Very fast and dangerous in the offensive zone, while providing good defensive coverage as well. 

Sharks were fairly lucky to escape with a point yesterday.

1-1 going to San Franscisco for the next 3 games.  I can live with that, the odds of us actually sweeping a third post season series in a row was pretty slim. 

Also, apparently the Royals were addicted to Clash of Clans during the summer.

Well my nightmare scenario of the Royals getting swept at least won't pan out. I was worried after that first game. Man I hope they win it all. I sure don't need to see the Giants win another World Series...

Well my nightmare scenario of the Royals getting swept at least won't pan out. I was worried after that first game. Man I hope they win it all. I sure don't need to see the Giants win another World Series...

I was going to be quite cross with you if that had happened.

RE: Game 1 - someone in the office was placing a bet with their ...whatever..bookie? And one of the bigger baseball fans "shields is unhittable! put it on KC!"

i didnt turn it on till the 9th, just seemed flat.  But turned that around obviously... i wonder if it'll be high-scoring all the way through.  Defense hasnt really seemed to be top-priority the whole post season (lots of high scoring games in both leagues)

KC's defense has been phenomenal through the post season, like routine mind-bending defensive plays every game.  Until the WS.  We do seem a little flat footed in the last two games, though the latter half of last night's game they were looking better.  And you can't play perfect forever, some of the earlier post-season defensive plays were honestly pretty lucky.  They missed multiple on the run catches over the last two games that they would have caught in earlier games. 

KC is one of the biggest parks in the game though, there's a ton of acreage for balls to drop into.  While AT&T is still above average in raw size, it's still smaller than the K, so our outfielders should have an advantage on fly balls.  But, AT&T is also one of the hardest parks to hit homeruns in, which tends to be a factor that favors the Royals. 

RE: Game 1 - someone in the office was placing a bet with their ...whatever..bookie? And one of the bigger baseball fans "shields is unhittable! put it on KC!"

i didnt turn it on till the 9th, just seemed flat.  But turned that around obviously... i wonder if it'll be high-scoring all the way through.  Defense hasnt really seemed to be top-priority the whole post season (lots of high scoring games in both leagues)

I'm pulling for KC hard, but your officemate deserves to lose money by betting it on James Shields in the post season.

AT&T Park is one of the game's best pitcher parks, yeah. Kauffman was actually an above average hitter's park over the last few years.

Another thing with the Royals, they actually won more games on the road this season than they won at home, which is another reason that going into SF for three games tied at 1-1 isn't too worrisome.  The only team that won more away games than us were the Dodgers. 

Man, a lot of NFL games have been ending in spectacular ways today. The Bengals vs. Ravens? Lions vs. Falcons? Vikings vs. Buccaneers? Seahawks vs. Panthers? Amaaaaaazing finishes in all of them, all close games.

Watching my Raiders play the Browns, and the Raiders are doing some really goofy shit offensively. Including using their starting QB as a RECEIVER in one play. What the hell. And if anyone here pays very close attention to the NFL, the Raiders got Schaub this season, who was a meme because of how bad he was last year on the Texans. The Raiders attempted a fourth down conversion using him, and he dropped the ball right on the snap and then threw it haphazardly for an interception. SCHAUB.

Sorry, but serious lulz at Schaub. I really feel for raiders fans.

I've had a whole weekend of watching sportsball. Went to a k-state vs Texas game with my dad, where KSU shutout Texas to take control of the big 12. Watched the royals game with him in the k-state stadium parking lot that night, then we came back to Lawrence today and spent the afternoon watching nfl games. He started the royals game with us tonight, but pooped out early and headed back to his rv. Not often enough I just get to spend a whole weekend being a sports geek with my dad. Pretty fucking sweet weekend.

Now hopefully the royals pull the rest of this one off.

Oscar Taveras died in a car accident with his girlfriend tonight.

So very sad. Condolences to his and his girlfriend's family.

Sounders won the Supporter's Shield! Finally, our first piece of in-league (ie, not the open cup) silverware.

Next up, Game 7 of the World Series!  I don't normally get nervous watching sports, I'm a fan, but not a super emotional one, usually.  Something about this series is making me a wreck though. I was so freaking nervous going into game 6 tonight. 

i have no vested interest in either team but this series has been interesting, the "nerves" you mention could because every game except game 3 has been a rout of sorts.  

Sure there have been some clutch pitching getting out of a hard scoring position or fielding plays - but generally who ever shows up hitting well that night is decisively winning the game.  Last night KC looked like they did the first few series of the play offs - i hope they can carry it over tonight.

There's too much content surrounding my life to digest for me to pay attention to baseball. I'm not against it, but it just didn't make the cut on what I desire most.

So that said, I can't wait for the World Series to end because it's all anyone talks about at work. It'd be one thing if it was a sometimes thing, but all the time is like :( .

... also everyone at work is a filthy San Francisco fan and our security guy and I are the only Oakland folks. REPRESENT. <_<

Edit - I forget the emoticons are different on this forum, it's always a surprise to see my sentiments reversed or otherwise twisted.

Thanks, the worst part was actually the triple there at the end, giving us hope. 

Ultimately this has still been the most successful and exciting Royals season in my adult life and the Royals proved they can go toe to toe with anyone in baseball.  It's been a ton of fun having a reason to be a Royals fan and watch this city go nuts over the last few weeks. 

I think he would have been thrown out barring a bad throw or knocking the ball out of the mitt, but I agree, it would have been the better finish. 

Oh, and fuck Joe Buck.  The massive wave of mockery and derision he's getting right now provides some minor solace for the loss. 

it was a good showing.  there will be conspiracy theorists & what-if analysts talking about Perez and that major hit to the leg all offseason

*edit - i had to put it on mute after bumgarner came in - after praising Panik for half an hour it turned to building the Bumgarner shrine.  Hes good, i get it, talk about KC's bullpen options, solution to hitting drought, the series & playoffs as a whole. Or how Herrera showed up and pitched almost 3 great innings