TheLastBaron

Sports

So I noticed we don't have (as far as I can see) a thread on sports.  I'm not super into sports personally, by which I mean the only sport I follow deeply is soccer/football and then baseball and hockey to a much lesser extent and then I don't pay much attention to other stuff.  The only thing I can talk about with any authority though is soccer, and only MLS, The Premier League, and Bundesliga.

So, what are other peoples' thoughts on sports?

Being Canadian, I quite like hockey. Having been raised just outside of Toronto, I quite like the Toronto Maple Leafs. Being a Maple Leafs fan, I'm used to being disappointed by my team's performance and try not to get too wrapped up in it. That said, I do enjoy watching games when I have a free Saturday night. Those are VERY few and far between, meaning I get to watch approximately 5 sporting events a year, but I always enjoy them.

Also being Canadian, I also enjoy hockey.

Growing up in the wilds of Northwestern Ontario, I didn't really pay attention to sports or anything because there were no teams nearby (for hockey at least; Winnipeg had the Blue Bombers for football; I grew up after the Jets left Winnipeg originally). Then in college I was in Ottawa, and started following the Senators. But now that Winnipeg once again has the Jets, they're the team I follow (and they're not doing too badly this season, although I will concede we are still very early in on the season.)

As for other sports... I listen to "The Tuesday Club", a podcast about the Arsenal football club (I think thats the right term?) simply because it has Alan Davies and the voices of everyone on the podcast soothes me to sleep... (I'm sorry I just love the accents...) So I kind of learn some stuff through osmosis, maybe? But I dont really follow it.

I live in San Jose so growing up the Sharks were my favorite team out of any sport period. At some point I started to care more about the Bruins because my dad is from Boston and most of the interest I have in sports comes from him (I was way more stoked when the Red Sox won the world series both times than the times the Giants won it) and these days I don't care much about the Sharks at all. That said, things like this still make me super happy:

So, what are other peoples' thoughts on sports?

They are boring.

I ride downhill mountain bikes (please don't get them confused with cross country bikes like everyone else does) and follow the race scene closely. I also started rock climbing over the summer and I am about 4 months in and loving it! part of the university club and there are 2 indoor walls around where I live. 

I also go to the gym 4 days a week for weights training for both sports.

I'm gonna throw that I'm super weird and do/watch various juggling disciplines.

Particularly:

Staff (I have a 1.6m 1 kilo contact fire staff I nearly killed myself with) 

Diabolo (2 V2 finesses, 1 tornado, 1 Vision, a few others over the year) 

Devil/flowerstick (2 Lunastix Wizards)

I'm gonna throw that I'm super weird and do/watch various juggling disciplines.

Particularly:

Staff (I have a 1.6m 1 kilo contact fire staff I nearly killed myself with) 

Diabolo (2 V2 finesses, 1 tornado, 1 Vision, a few others over the year) 

Devil/flowerstick (2 Lunastix Wizards)

that is pretty cool, got any videos of you doing it?

that is pretty cool, got any videos of you doing it?

Not that I know of. If you look for Manchchester juggling society there are some on Youtube of my old society

I live in San Jose so growing up the Sharks were my favorite team out of any sport period. At some point I started to care more about the Bruins because my dad is from Boston and most of the interest I have in sports comes from him (I was way more stoked when the Red Sox won the world series both times than the times the Giants won it) and these days I don't care much about the Sharks at all. That said, things like this still make me super happy:

Wooo! Sharks!

Being Swedish hockey is my main sport as well.

Wanted to play as a kid but my parents couldn't afford it.

Not super invested though, but I like to check out the scores every now and then as well as catching a game whenever I can. Besides the Sharks (to whom my fandom is based upon loving the animal when I was a kid) I also cheer for my hometown team Frölunda Indians, a bunch of constant underachievers much like the Sharks. 

Wanted to play as a kid but my parents couldn't afford it.

I played hockey for about a year in kindergarten, using old equipment our neighbour's kid had outgrown.

We were the worst team in our league and did not win a single game.

In NHL news, the Jets are now last in their division and I couldn't be more upset about it. :(

EDIT: Well they won their game against St.Louis today, so at least there's that.

How is Seto working out for you?

I'm kinda worried with the amount of injuries that have plagued the season so far. Especially since many of them come from kind of the same play around the end boards. Is it just because the season has just started and the players haven't quite gotten their smarts about them yet or have people just gotten extra shitty all of a sudden?

Not that I know of. If you look for Manchchester juggling society there are some on Youtube of my old society

ARRIVAL is a mountain bike movie that on its release day is free to view for 24 hours! i have already ordered mine and it sick!

If any one thinks that we are like road bikers, this should prove them wrong haha. I highly suggest everyone one to watch the first ten minutes, the POV whistler section really captures having fun biking with your friends.

Also there is some awesome nature shots in there too :)

check it out here http://www.pinkbike.com/video/341581

Woo baseball! Excited to buy some Giants tickets for next season when they go on sale soon. And I'm looking forward to Tim Hudson starting in SF. So that's where I'm at, sportswise.

Any hockey fans out there? Entering period 6 of game 1 (world champion) Chicago Blackhawks I figured try to necro the thread at least for playoffs

As for hockey as a whole I think it's too early to tell but the east looks really strong

*update, 26 seconds into ot3 it's over. Oh well. If I was a fan who just sat through 15 minute zamboni show I'd be a little upset

Yeah I've been watching the games, the Sharks seems to be doing well but even if they manage to win this game they'll still choke later on.

I'm getting back into Formula 1 this season.
Motorsports are sports right?  :P
The last race at Bahrain was the most fun of the three races so far this season. It also produced this amazing image though it's a serious spoiler if you haven't watched the race yet!

_74071377_gutierrez.jpg

Gutierrez ended up on his wheels and walked away with no injuries don't worry!

The new cars dictated by the new rules have made the a lot of the field a lot more interesting as teams are working out the kinks.

I don't know, I've got a good feeling about the Sharks. (Although thats based on nothing but a gut feeling, so don't take my word for it...)

Also glad to see Montreal won a game, but I still don't think they'll make it to Round 2.

Yeah I've been watching the games, the Sharks seems to be doing well but even if they manage to win this game they'll still choke later on.

:)

Go Flyers.

People are blaming the rookie who took a high stick penalty when he lost his footing, but 1 shot in the 3rd period is more indicative of everything else!

Just watched the Bruins game, dear lord Chara is a monster.  Smith punches him in the face and he just stands there laughing.  When a 6'9" 260 lb. man is standing there laughing at you you should probably just get away as fast as you can.

Huge game from the Flyers today. They had more zone pressure in the 2nd period than they managed in the entire game on Thursday. Being 1-1 and hopefully getting Mase back would be huge headed back to Philly.

big win for chicago yesterday...but they had one of those stat windows pop up showing the last 25 years when down 0-2 they've lost 6 or 7 of the 9 series

im all for breaking tradition, but offense has been a real problem for the BHawks (and also defense in the last few minutes of regulation gm1 & 2)

also, the ice at the United Center (chicago's large arena for Bulls & Blackhawks) is getting a beating.  the bulls are on alternating days at home for play offs & it's been a little warmer here too.  

its pretty interesting to see as the game goes on how much chips up & how the puck goes on edge/bounces more.  Its only going to get worse if the weather picks up & bulls advance in the playoffs

Man the Sharks won in overtime and I was starting to get stressed out.  I want the Bruins to win, but I want it to be in San Jose, so I'm committed to the cause for now.