Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 113: Shoot That Pizza

Idle Thumbs 113:

415__header.jpg

Shoot That Pizza

When we're two hundred years dead and buried, we hope the kids of our kids' kids' kids are still bringing you this podcast out of some strange never-ending sense of family destiny. In the meantime, we bring you our experiences playing Rogue Legacy (which is basically that, except killing guys in castles and not podcasting), share our excitement for the new Civ V expansion, and talk about the cold war and the moon. Like we do.

Things Discussed: Rogue Legacy, Civilization V: Brave New World, Hearts of Iron: East vs. West, The Last of Us, Moonbase Commander

I just started listening, but I'm disappointed the episode title isn't "A Molyneux Renaissance"

I was playing Rogue Legacy while listening to the cast and at one point Jake made a farting noise.  I thought it was my character with irritable bowel syndrome until Chris made a comment about Jake farting. For a brief second, I thought that somehow they were reacting to my game before I realized it was Jake all along.  I had another character with IBS during the discussion of Last of Us, which made it unintentionally hilarious to me.

Stupendous cast. As far as the stream goes, I dunno if you guys know this but there's a pretty decent twitch app that notifies you when favorite streams go live. It works really well and I recommend others use it. It's how I found out about the stream, and the other unexpected idle thumbs streams.

Of course, schedules work well, too.

I love you guys but sometimes you guys do laugh a lot and I get confused at what was actually being talked about or a thread of an idea is dropped and I get disappointed. 

With that in mind, I understand completely where you guys often are coming from. The closer to an ideal a game gets the more you and we all usually have to say about it. If it is truly a horrific game there isn't much to say about why it's bad. It just is. But when, say, it's Bioshock Infinite and there are genuinely great ideas and glimpses of much more interesting ideas that get lost in muddled exhausting combat and other such things, I think we all have a lot more to say and complain about.

Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but holy shit, do they really talk about Moonbase Commander?

That was such a cool, inventive, and unfortunately always-overlooked game.

In response to the thread: I never knew it ended up on GoG. I need to coerce some people into checking it out.

I laughed my ass off at the ten seconds where I thought "Steve's wedding story" was about to be "I switched the rings with a copy of Far Cry 2."

EDIT- Oh I guess you guys got there eventually.

As a Canadian, the part about the Canadian RTS was incredible. I'd play the shit out of that.

(ps: EA, Ubisoft, Microsoft, Capcom, United Front, Bioware, Capybara, Eidos, Klei, Relic, Rockstar, and a bunch more I'm forgetting are all in Canada/have studios in Canada.)

I laughed my ass off at the ten seconds where I thought "Steve's wedding story" was about to be "I switched the rings with a copy of Far Cry 2."

Yeah, I was totally waiting for the story to be like "And then I switched the photos for a copy of Far Cry 2!"

Also, I feel like I've said this a million times, but between Rogue Legacy and Hearts of Iron, I was hoping for some crazy alchemy to merge the discussion into Crusader Kings II. Nick Breckon, you're my only hope!

After the discussion of Canada, I really wanted the cast to be titled "A Day Late and a Loonie Short." I really do want more games about Canada, especially ones that take place in interesting historical periods, like World War 1, the Klondike Gold Rush or the Prairie Wheat Boom. Also, it's weird hearing people talk about Canada having imperial aspirations in a joking way, since reading newspapers and political speeches from 100-150 years ago, you can see that imperialism was very much present in the Canadian discourse around settling the West and getting involved in wars and stuff.

Okay, and now i've listened to the podcast.

You guys need to do a Moonbase Commander stream.

^ Random youtube video of an MBC match.

I too couldn't believe you talked about Paradox Games and Rogue Legacy without mentioning Crusader Kings, the Paradox game about managing your legacy.

Moonbase Commander is sublime.   I never knew that it started as a game built by themselves for themselves to play in the office.  Is there an article or anything it?

I would love nothing more than to see a Moonbase Commander revival.  2v2 tournaments streamed on twitch?  

I too couldn't believe you talked about Paradox Games and Rogue Legacy without mentioning Crusader Kings, the Paradox game about managing your legacy.

We r dum

You can always blame Nick since he couldn't remember Rogue Legacy's title, and he was the one who brought up Paradox. It was his seg to make.

We r dum

It's fine, it's definitely a game in the Paradox tradition and not one that you pick up on a whim.

But it's full of the sort of systemic emergence that creates the best stories. Just yesterday, I started as the independent duke of Armenia, forged a kingdom under my son, swore fealty to the Byzantine empire to protect me from the Muslims, and then had my crown split between my two sons -- one of whom, a young boy, killed the other, a middle-aged bastard I made my own, in battle to reunite the kingdoms. And then the jealous regents of the child-emperor of Byzantium thew my king in the dungeon and he developed syphilis. It's worth your time even to put in an evening, since I know several Thumbs who'd be happy to explicate the more arcane mechanics.

I've found the perfect game for Chris

I played all those shitty games when they came out so I could write some dumb thing about them at the time.

The term "roguelike" has always been weird to me, because it just reminds me that we used to call the FPS genre "doomlikes."