Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

I'v'e always loved the story about how Pixar deliberately designed Buzz Lightyear to be the coolest toy ever, and then there was a massive shortage of the actual toy after the movie came out, because they had designed the coolest toy ever and every kid wanted one.

I remember being really bummed out that my Buzz Lightyear toy didn't have Karate Chop Action.

I got this amazing Buzz Lightyear for Christmas that didn't even exist over here because it was made for the American market. It was half a metre tall and talked.

Being a weirdly pedantic child though, I was quite disappointed that instead of green on his chest plate it was a weird faux chrome colour and therefore not The Real Buzz.

I had the Buzz Lightyear toy. There were no razors on the wings, ending is not possible.

perhaps the duct tape heated in the sun & from the rocket flare thus making it easier to rip.  and they way he was taped, he had full arm mobility, but wasnt he depressed from finding out he was just a toy and didnt care if he rocket popped

it would have been pretty anticlimatic if the wings popped out and the duct tape slowly oozed up off of him leaving a thick residue

it would have been pretty anticlimatic if the wings popped out and the duct tape slowly oozed up off of him leaving a thick residue

Oh that sounds so good though, I love your description.

Watching twitter work it self into a lather over the $10,000 iWatch and then descending into affected worldly cynicism and ennui over 10 minutes was fun. 

I straight up muted apple watch on Twitter. I don't even care if it's gauche to announce one's mutes but it seriously just made Twitter more bearable today. I honestly just have never owned an Apple product. 

Oh god, Twitter has been unbearable today. People are either loudly proclaiming how much they don't like Apple and picking apart everything that's wrong with whatever they do, or they're being San Francisco as Fuck and fetishising laptops.

I think the worst thing about owning a macbook is that as soon as I pull that thing out in public, I instantly know what everybody in the room thinks of apple products.

Damn.

Maybe that's a dumb way of putting it since I'm from Scotland and I've never been anywhere near the west coast of the US, but it seems like there's a huge tech culture there of awful silicon valley journalist types who get all glassy-eyed and start writing thinkpieces about how Elon Musk should be president whenever a company like apple has a conference to announce their new stuff.

Haha I love San Francisco and I do the same thing, so it's fine. I just think it's funny.

Haha, alright, cool! I just want to make sure I'm not way off base, I get most of my news through twitter these days.

Innovate. Disrupt. The Uber of Fart. The AirBnB of Barf.

I put the word "disrupt" into my dissertation proposal because I wanted to sound clever, then my supervisor asked me "what exactly are you disrupting?" and I didn't have an answer.

I straight up muted apple watch on Twitter. I don't even care if it's gauche to announce one's mutes but it seriously just made Twitter more bearable today. I honestly just have never owned an Apple product.

I owned a third-generation iPod Touch for a while and thought it was very stylish and fun to use, but poorly-made for something so expensive. It stopped working in the same amount of time that it took for me to break cheaper players in the past and would have cost a fortune to repair or replace, so I moved on and bought an imported luxury Korean media player that cost me just as much but was much more flexible and has thus far lasted me five times as long.

Post-Jobs Apple just feels kind of shiftless. The Watch will sell for a time, but it's fundamentally damaging to the all-in-one convenience that is essentially the impetus behind the iPhone. Making a device that does an adequate job replacing multiple devices is smart, but I feel like they're throwing that under the bus by definitively saying it's still too inconvenient to have to pull it out of your pocket and offering an incredibly expensive solution to an incredibly minor problem.

I don't like the specifics of a lot of Apple merch, but this is the first time they've made something that I feel is fundamentally just a useless novelty. I don't even care about the $10k model because at least that one's not even pretending that it exists as anything but an overpriced status symbol.

I don't even know what it is and I haven't bothered to look it up yet.

I don't like the specifics of a lot of Apple merch, but this is the first time they've made something that I feel is fundamentally just a useless novelty. I don't even care about the $10k model because at least that one's not even pretending that it exists as anything but an overpriced status symbol.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. If I want a fancy high tech watch I'll just go back to my old calculator watch with the little individual number buttons.

And when did reaching into your pocket become such an inconvenience that you need to spend >$300 just so you can avoid doing that some of the time.

I think the worst thing about owning a macbook is that as soon as I pull that thing out in public, I instantly know what everybody in the room thinks of apple products.

I'm from Scotland 

I have a feeling that may just be a UK specific thing. I have certainly commented on friend's macbooks when they bring it out. (Sorry)

But then again Macbooks are generally more accepted than they used to be like 5 years ago. I think. I dunno.

I don't even know what it is and I haven't bothered to look it up yet.

The name of the 18-karat gold $10000-17000 Apple Watch is literally Apple Watch Edition.  It's not Gold Edition or Fancy Edition or Extravagantly Unnecessary Edition.  It's just called Apple Watch Edition.

I have a feeling that may just be a UK specific thing.

Nnnnnnnope.

I've had to use one at work for the last few years and Apple computers are literally just PCs at twice the price. I don't understand the appeal.

The name of the 18-karat gold $10000-17000 Apple Watch is literally Apple Watch Edition.  It's not Gold Edition or Fancy Edition or Extravagantly Unnecessary Edition.  It's just called Apple Watch Edition.

I may have been better off not knowing! I can't say I'm all that emotional about it. Dumb name but lots of things have dumb names. Also Apple so of course it has a dumb name.

I'll tell you what I am emotional about:

I used a Mac at my previous job and yeah Reyturner's correct. Also developing for/on Apple products is literally the worst. Xcode is fucking atrocious. And then you get mobile web development... People complain about Android's many different specs, but at least Android doesn't enforce weird standards or not let you do extremely simple things or make you call standard stuff with weird names or or or or

god i never really hated apple - was mostly just ambivalent - until i started working on apple software like NO NORMAL PERSON WOULD HAVE DONE THIS they are all sadists all of them

One interesting thing about the Apple Watch Edition that I noticed was the weird Twitter tension between "really nice watches cost this much" and "this costs too much, period". I sympathize with the latter position, mostly because I feel the first sentiment is a bit snobby because it totally doesn't acknowledge the fact that a smartwatch has an inherent end of usefulness (whether that's due to obsolescence with regard to functionality, the rechargeable battery dying, or software eventually becoming incompatible with it) while a luxury watch will theoretically serve its intended function forever.