Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

I now have a nice big desk and nice chair... but my mattress is on the floor. Some small part of my brain is saying I have my priorities wrong; another part says I'm right on track.

The third part wants a burger.

My old Yahoo! account is currently the target of the weirdest spambot ever.

It started out with your typical unsolicited email, from random people and titled "my ebay store", but over the weeks it's begun to add As to the subject, no doubt to fool the spam filter. By this point, two months after it's started emailing me, most subjects are like "aamya aaeabaaay staaaoarae". I almost want to remove him from the filter, just because the idea of an old Italian man typing his emails phonetically tickles so much.

I just found out that "segue" and "segway" are two different words.

This reminds me of when I found out tht "facade" and "facade" (pronounced "fa-kade") were the same word.

Nope. I'm not sure if I picked it up from someone else or if I just started using it after reading the word.

Not 100% whether or not this fits into the "random thought" theme, but I recently thought back to something that happened to me in high school and wanted to share it.

So I am a fat guy (by which I mean, I eat shitty food), and I had never peeled my own orange at this point. I was in the 11th grade (sophomore?) and was sitting next to a cute friend of mine. She had two mandarin oranges on her desk and graciously offered me one. The teacher was handing out tests and was standing at our shared desk discussing my friend's mark. I took the mandarin and, assuming it to work like a hand fruit, bit directly into it, skin and all. The juice from the orange squirted across the desk into the teachers and my friend's faces. It was their immediate realization the fat kid had never once eaten an orange.

TL;DR
I hate mandarins now.

I mean, it could have been worse in the sense that you could have tried to bite a *********.  Though that would be more personal pain than anything

I was just just writing a lesson plan on wetlands for school while listening to Idle Thumbs. "water slowly releases into rivers" became "water slowly releases into wizards". Whups.

Not 100% whether or not this fits into the "random thought" theme, but I recently thought back to something that happened to me in high school and wanted to share it.

So I am a fat guy (by which I mean, I eat shitty food), and I had never peeled my own orange at this point. I was in the 11th grade (sophomore?) and was sitting next to a cute friend of mine. She had two mandarin oranges on her desk and graciously offered me one. The teacher was handing out tests and was standing at our shared desk discussing my friend's mark. I took the mandarin and, assuming it to work like a hand fruit, bit directly into it, skin and all. The juice from the orange squirted across the desk into the teachers and my friend's faces. It was their immediate realization the fat kid had never once eaten an orange.

TL;DR

I hate mandarins now.

I am laughing very hard at this right now. I'm sorry. (I'm not sorry.)

Could have been worse: the juice could have gotten in their eyes and temporarily blinded them, or something.

TL;DR

I hate mandarins now.

Do you love Cantonese?

They're alright I guess.

Their women are cute.

Hmm... :getmecoat   (I know you don't ACTUALLY mean anything by it but still awkward)

Hmm... :getmecoat (I know you don't ACTUALLY mean anything by it but still awkward)

Which parts are awkward:

A) The implied fetish

B ) The conflation of mandarin oranges and Mandarin Chinese

C) The implied dichotomy between Mandarin and Cantonese?

D) the implied hatred of Mandarin Chinese.

Hmm... :getmecoat   (I know you don't ACTUALLY mean anything by it but still awkward)

After re-reading that exchange, yeah, that came across in a weirdly uncomfortable way.

This could be a teaching-moment if y'all were more specific about what makes it uncomfortable and why. Just saying that it's uncomfortable has the effect of making people too frightened to speak. Be specific so we can be more considerate and know how to do so.

Does Netflix have a QA department? Do those people watch new content all day? Because somebody has to check that the delivered content is ok. Right?

I feel like Netflix would probably just dump stuff on and then only have a real person look at it if a customer complains something isn't working correctly.

In essence, we ARE Netflix's QA. (At least content-wise. For the technical end of things I'm sure they have QA people, or some QA firm they hire or something.)

This could be a teaching-moment if y'all were more specific about what makes it uncomfortable and why. Just saying that it's uncomfortable has the effect of making people too frightened to speak. Be specific so we can be more considerate and know how to do so.

Maybe the fact that it ended with "Their women are cute" gave the whole exchange a weird tone, I dunno.