tegan

Link 2 The Past: 2 Past 2 Furious

Some day I fully intend to play Four Swords Adventures the correct way:

RpYJYWc.jpg

(except replace the purple Gamecube with a Wii so you can do component out with progressive scan)

best name, and now I want vin diesel to play zelda in a movie. Before anyone jumps in, yes I'm aware zelda is the girl.

I will respectfully disagree with that. Structurally, Ocarina of Time, the DS Zeldas and everything else (barring MM) closely resembles, even mimics, LttP. The way you control Link (i.e. the buttons you press to make him do things) or the point of view of the camera (topdown or third person 3D) makes little change in that. It mixes up the feel of the game a little, but they're superficial changes, much like how in one game you have digging claws, in the other a hookshot - when it boils down to it, it doesn't make much of a difference.

It doesn't alter that the experience of those games is much the same as LttP, in terms of structure, broad gameplay, narrative, feeling. At their core, they're similar.

I could never mesh well with the 3D aiming, target lock, and jumping puzzles in any of the newer Zeldas. I finished Occarina despite that, but gave up very early in Majora's Mask and Windwaker. I'm looking forward to a new 2d Zelda where I don't have to bother with those sorts of things.

Some day I fully intend to play Four Swords Adventures the correct way:

RpYJYWc.jpg

(except replace the purple Gamecube with a Wii so you can do component out with progressive scan)

I always had the intention of playing Four Swords. I even went so far as to pick up a couple of used original GBAs after the folding ones came out, but I never actually bought the game :wacko:

I play Four Swords Adventures with my girlfriend long ago. It did involve me buying a second GBA and bugging her a little bit, but we ended up having a lot of fun. The game felt super long. Maybe we'll do it again one day.

Speaking of connector cable games, i would totally play another Crystal Chronicles.

No, Square, i don't mean that you can call some random other game Crystal Chronicles and trick me into playing it.

I want the bucket.

I want another game where a group of people have to argue over who carries the bucket.

I'm not a big fan of the art. Mrrrh.

I wish they'd done Link's Awakening 2, instead. That game is by far the most superior 2D Zelda game! FACT. DON'T EVEN DARE DISAGREE.

Despite the above, I'm pretty excited.

But also worried that they'll turn it into yet another hand-holding extravaganza. WHAT'S THAT. YOU FOUND A PUZZLE. LET ME SOLVE IT FOR YOU BEFORE YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO TRY.

By LA2 do you mean a remake or an actual sequel?  Also isn't Link's Awakening a sequel set in the LTTP world/timeline?

I mean a sequel, and, yes, technically LA is in the LttP timeline? I think? Different world, though, technically. It's like a... dream world or something, in Link's Awakening. I dunno. Doesn't really matter. Games play pretty differently despite being essentially the same. Plus, LA had a better world/story.

Sno: Crystal Chronicles with a full group is one of my favorite multiplayer experiences ever. The bucket is rad. IT'S MINE. I LEAD THE WAY DON'T YOU DARE PICK IT UP. Did you know there are people who hate the bucket? Fools.

Sno: Crystal Chronicles with a full group is one of my favorite multiplayer experiences ever. The bucket is rad. IT'S MINE. I LEAD THE WAY DON'T YOU DARE PICK IT UP.

I had a proper group together to play FSA and Crystal Chronicles a grand total of once, so i don't know if it was the excitement of actually managing to pull together all the disparate pieces it took to get that insane exercise underway, or if Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords Adventure are actually as awesome as i want to believe they are.

Either way, fond memories.

I mean a sequel, and, yes, technically LA is in the LttP timeline? I think? Different world, though, technically. It's like a... dream world or something, in Link's Awakening. I dunno. Doesn't really matter. Games play pretty differently despite being essentially the same. Plus, LA had a better world/story.

Sno: Crystal Chronicles with a full group is one of my favorite multiplayer experiences ever. The bucket is rad. IT'S MINE. I LEAD THE WAY DON'T YOU DARE PICK IT UP. Did you know there are people who hate the bucket? Fools.

That's a really good point, actually. I'm pretty sure LA is a direct sequel to ALTTP.

It definitely seemed like it was sold as such back when it came out, though apparently the fancy official timeline for the series puts the Oracle games between LTTP and Awakening.

The reason I ask is because I don't really know how a sequel would work, given the ending to the game.  Link's Awakening is probably my favorite Zelda game, favorite 2D Zelda game for sure, but I don't see how you would make a game be specifically a sequel to it rather than just another Zelda game given that the story is pretty self contained and it ends where it starts (starts with his ship in the middle of a storm and ends with him waking up floating on a piece of the wreckage). 

Well I don't really care about a sequel, per se, just saying that I prefer Link's Awakening in every aspect of the two games.

I kind of assumed it was a given that nobody really cared about the story and that we were all talking pure gameplay/setting. U:

LA definitely had some good stuff going on, but I still love the Hyrule in LttP.  It had a lot of little mysteries that never had answers but made me super happy to find.  I remember the map in the light/dark world was covered by clouds until you reached that area, but the edges of the map were always surrounded by clouds and as a kid I really wanted to uncover them.

54511-221777-overworldjpg-620x.jpg

Hey, for anyone who wasn't sold on the look of the game, there's a short trailer on the 3DS eshop now, under Nintendo Direct. When you actually see it on the system itself, it looks fantastic. The design of the new Link basically looks exactly like the Zelda 1 concept art. It's great.

The first I heard of this game was accidentally coming across 15ish seconds of gameplay and getting a really weird sickening feeling in my stomach.  I haven't paid any attention to link for a decade (since I played the crap out of link to the past on the N64 or SNES) aside from catching a bit of my friend playing wind waker, and it just completely shocked me that for all these 3 games across multiple decades apparently nothing has changed.

Don't know if the game is going to be good or not, but my gut reaction is why is link the same forever?

I wish they'd done Link's Awakening 2, instead. That game is by far the most superior 2D Zelda game! FACT. DON'T EVEN DARE DISAGREE.

Despite the above, I'm pretty excited.

Both of these things. LA was the first game that I ever completed back when I was 8 or however old I was. That game will always be my favourite Zelda, for that reason if for no other. I love LA and still think it is a high point in Nintendo history. LttP, conversely, while I have always enjoyed it and have reached the final dungeon on multiple occasions, I have never finished. I don't know why that is. Maybe this is my cue to finish this?

I think a lot of what made Link's Awakening more enjoyable to me than LttP was the humor instilled within the characters. It was so much more playful not only in terms of the NPCs, but also the little side scrolling levels with nods to the Mario games by the reuse of enemies.

Also the tone with much of the storyline was just kind of weird and trippy, sharing a lot in common with Majora's Mask.

Don't know if the game is going to be good or not, but my gut reaction is why is link the same forever?

Because he's an icon, not a character.

I actually really like the gameplay structure of the Zelda games...I can understand why some might be tired of it, but I see that structure as a big part of why I love those games.  We don't get upset because so many games tend to use a linear level progression structure...everything from SMB1 to CoD does that and people don't seem to pick on it as much.  The item-driven dungeon/overworld scheme of Zelda doesn't seem anymore beaten to death than the select a world/boss structure of the Mega Man games (and all of those that I've played have followed that structure), or the large segmented but connected world of the Metroid games (and Metroidvania games)...and certainly no more than the level-1, level-2, level-3 structure that most games use.  if anything I'd like to see more games try the sort of structure the Zelda games use...and I'd like to see a lot of other structures explored (and they are being explored).

That said, I don't see any more sense in expecting that Zelda completely abandon its gameplay or progression structure or whatever you want to call it than I see in expecting Mega Man to do so...I wouldn't dislike it if they did explore other possibilities, but I'm not going to fault them if they create a good game that uses the same structure of dungeons and overworld that LttP used.

I also think that Zelda gets shit on way more than a lot of other series for doing the same thing over and over...when you look at Halo that series has had far less variation than Zelda for the most part...same with many other series.  It not even that Zelda games get cranked out...its just that Zelda has been around for sooo damned long that there a lot of games in the series.  Some of the games have even deviated a good bit from the general structure (The Phantom Hourglass did, Spirit Tracks did, Majora's Mask did, and Wind Waker's sailing was a definate deviation from the traditional overworld of most Zelda games).  My big concern is that a different Zelda would be less a new and exciting experience and more likely God Of War with a funny hat...if anything I'd like the Zelda games to be a bit less linear; Skyward Sword felt a lot more linear and didn't seem to have as much exploration as past Zelda games (and Spirit Tracks took that to an extreme)...LttP had a lot of oppurtunity for sequence breaking that has been more and more lost in Zelda games and I'm hoping this game has a bit of that...hell I'd really like to see the games look further back to the original NES classic for some inspiration at some point given how little direction you were given in that...it was a game entirely about exploration that had as much in common with Dark Souls as it did with OoT.  Hell, Farcry 2 reminded me a lot of the original Zelda in some ways.

I just realized I rambled on for far too long there and made little sense.  That was horrible, so I guess what I'm getting at is that I can understand why some folks wouldn't be all that excited for a new LttP game (and I could see where some who would be might have gripes about this), but LttP is one of my favorite games of all time and something that tries to do more of that is something I'd love to see, so I have guarded optimism.

Gosh, so this is the first Zelda game reveal that has me cautiously optimistic. I'm not sure how that mechanic of moving along walls will work out.

My biggest criticism (face value at reveal usually is silly but this is about how it looks, so face value criticism counts!) is about the graphics presentation. It looks really weird to me. The lack of line art to define things rather than leaving them borderless like in Wind Waker is not working for me here. And I don't bring up Wind Waker to be a butt about it - that game looked great. But it's because the perspective was different, the game had a certain flow, and the color palette was incredibly vibrant. But in this, it just looks... I dunno, it alienates me.