toblix

So what is everybody looking forward to in 2013?

I was feeling a bit depressed after Far Cry 3 turning out to be such a big disappointment, but then I found this, which cheered me right up again. No doubt a lot of 2013 games won't be out until 2014, but there's just so much great stuff coming, in every genre and in every scale – if you can't find something in there to be excited about, I guess that's fine ... but I bet you will!

Oh, and probably the new consoles, which could turn out to be totally fucking sweet or completely god damn terrible. Nintendo already did their weird thing with the Wii U – will the weird Xbox rumours turn out to be true? Will MS and Sony unveil powerful gaming boxez, or cheaper Apple TV-like Netflix NFL gadgets that run "apps?"

WHAT ARE YOUR PREDICTIONS HOPES AND FEARS

The only game that immediately comes to mind as something I'm looking forward to is Gone Home. But good grief, this is a huge list.

I don't have much interest in buying more consoles unless there's a good reason. I would honestly be a lot more excited about the rumored Steam console, if that happened and was good. I've gotten a lot more interested in PC games over the last year or so, and I've thought that I should probably get an actual gaming PC instead of just trying to run this stuff on my laptop (with its mobility graphics card that blows my asshole), but I'm so out of the loop as to what a gaming PC needs to have these days that I'd be pretty much the perfect target audience for a small, affordable PC that just had standardized specs that developers would try to make sure their games ran acceptably well on.

That was an atrocious sentence.

Tons of shit. Gone Home, Quadrilateral Cowboy, Routine, the Dishonored DLC, possibly Company of Heroes 2, Zeno Clash II, GTA V, Gunpoint, The Stanley Parable HD, Sir, You Are Being Hunted, Bioshock Infinite, potentially Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns, Xenonauts, Clockwork Empires, and probably lots of other stuff I'm forgetting.

Far Cry 3 wasn't really that disappointing to me because I wasn't expecting it to be Far Cry 2 + 1. From all the things I'd heard about it I kind of expected it to be worse than it ended up being.

At the moment I'm looking forward to Gone Home, The Witness, whatever Famous Video Games makes next, The Cave, DFA, playing some of the games on my wishlist and what I got from the sale that are already out, BioShock Infinite (just a bit, I want to see the environment, but not that interested in playing the game set in it), GTA V Five, Beyond Good & Evil 2 (is it really coming out in 2013, though? doubt it), Overgrowth (although following it's progress so far has been weird since it's not clear what the game is beyond the cool lagomorph-based melee combat and why it's taking so long), The Dream Machine (still haven't played chapter 3). Dead Island: Riptide, Metro: Last Light, Sir, You Are Being Hunted, 0x10c, Zeno Clash 2, Gunpoint, Tetrobot and Co., Wasteland 2, Dead State, Kenshi (must admit to not having tried the alpha so far, though), HL3, Prison Architect. Last but not least: Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (almost forgot about this. haha get it?).

PS. Amazing number of interesting adventure games on the horizon!

PPS. Didn't we just have a similar thread a couple of months ago?

Star War 1313, first Star Wars game I've looked forward to since KOTOR 2. Almost a decade, probably will be a decade if it (quite possibly) get's delayed. But who cares, it's friggen Uncharted in SPAAAAAAAACE!

Oh, and the weird Xbox rumors are true, there's new consoles a comin! I just wonder when they'll reveal them. Too early and your dampen the last sales of current gen stuff (God of War whatever, Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, Gears X, GTA V). But too late and you're left without enough hype, hell they're already pushing it by keeping mum to get one last holiday season of profits out of it. Probably a good call though by the sales numbers I saw.

There are so many good games coming up next year. It's not looking good for the status of my backlog. I really hope Sony announces the PS4 and it looks compelling. Software support for the 360 has been so much better than the PS3, but I cannot stand the ad-riddled eye sore that the 360's dashboard has become. Anyway, here's my lists:

AAA games from established studios: The Cave, The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, WATCH_DOGS, and Telltale's Fables game

Indie games: Clockwork Empires, Scrolls, Gone Home, Super Time Force, and Quadrilateral Cowboy

And hopefully all the Kickstarter games I've backed: Planetary Annihilation, Double Fine Adventure, Sir, You Are Being Hunted, Legend Of Dungeon, Full Bore, Sportsfriends, SpaceVenture, and Wasteland 2

Planetary Annihilation and Dark Souls 2 are my big, big ones. There are a large portion of ones that I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton of but include Sir You Are Being Hunted, Maia, two separate Sid Meier's Pirates! successors, and many others. It should be a very good year.

There's a lot of tension regarding MS and Sony for their next gen consoles and I hope this year is it. The business drama and reactions from internet folk (for better or worse) will sustain me. It's not a hardware power thing, it's business model that interests me more.

Very much looking forward to the Xbox361 and PS4. I actually expect that they'll just continu to do what they do well now: provide powerful machines for a reasonable price. There will be inbuilt support for Kinect/Move/Smartglass and whatever gimmick they'll come up with in the near future, but the core machines will be high spec luxury machines like they are now. I doubt either will go with some radical paradigm shift, like providing just a streaming box, or a casual thing, or download only.

As for the GAEMS: Double Fine Adventure, Broken Sword 5, Europa (holy shit didn't even know this existed and now it's top list), GTA5, Bioshock Infinite, I want a sequel to Catherine, Heart of the Swarm,

The website list is just for PC, so it inevitably misses a ton of fantastic games on other platforms. I'm thinking Professor Layton, some Marios, Phoenix Wright, a couple of JRPG's maybe or other Japanese gems.

So i'm strictly a console gamer, the only PC's in our house are clapped out laptops, and as much as i've tried i cannot stand handheld/mobile/touch device gaming

You have to listen to this whilst reading my list

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiMXUDz7yp0

Metal gear rising revengeance

Castlevania shadow of the whatnot 2

The last of pus

Bioshock Infeloops

EARTH DEFENCE FORCE 4 ooooooooooooossssshhh - almost forgot about this bad boy

That ellen page game with the ghost

Games that i will no doubt play but don't really hold any excitement for

Tomb raider blah*

Gears of war blah*

God of war blah

Dead space blah

Crysis blah*

Metro blah

Alien : Colonial blah*

GTA V five blah

*strong chance i wont bother playing this, all depends on the reviews

Did you know E3 is June 11th!! (For some reason i thought it was in Aug-Sept, so that was a nice surprise this morning)

So i'll pick up the new xbox in November if its a super powered console, i'm not interested in some motion controlled app machine

And i'll pick up Star warts 1313 and Watch dogs which will hopefully be a launch games

Whats the possibility/probability of Dark Souls 2 being a next gen title?

i'm getting a little tired of the dark souls formula, but a next gen injection would be very welcome.

Do you think we'll see lots of games with two verision, for current and next gen. This is the type of thing i can see the next Call of Duty doing.

And have they already confirmed this is the case for Metal Gear Solid 5

I think that's what'll happen for Watch Dogs as well. Ubisoft has talked up simultaneous development for current and next gen vidcon machines.

I just remembered that Revengeance is the stupidest name ever, even for a video game, which has literally the lowest bar in coming up with half-decent names ever.

YOU WOULDN'T NAME YOUR CHILD REVENGEANCE

Whats the possibility/probability of Dark Souls 2 being a next gen title?

i'm getting a little tired of the dark souls formula...

Get out.

(Also having a nextgen release would change nothing about the formula.)

i knows, i just mean even though its getting a little stale for me a graphics injection would probably trick my brain into liking it again :crazy::nuts:

i love the hard as nails intro to the games, but after about the mid point when it gets harder/longer to level up and your stats stop moving and the weapon upgrading and the GIANT SKELETON GIANTS IN PITCH DARKNESS

the formula needs a shake up.... Dark Souls needs a skill tree! :eyebrow: Dark Souls formula fixed, you can thank me in donations

btn_donateCC_LG.gif

Love that shop music.

I'm mainly looking forward to the Metal Gears.

Do you think we'll see lots of games with two verision, for current and next gen. This is the type of thing i can see the next Call of Duty doing.

I'd guess they make a certain amount of business sense, though they tend not to take great advantage of the newer hardware. Examples from the last go-round I can think of off the top of my head would be Gun, Just Cause and a variety of sports games.

On the other hand, we're probably going to be looking at specs that aren't too weird, so things should scale relatively easily. A lot of current Xbox 360 games make me wish I could just stick a faster video card or something into the machine, and having some extra power juice (very technical stuff here) to spread around won't hurt.

Basically I want something like Sega's Extended RAM Cartridge for the Saturn, or the N64 Expansion Pak.

l3jRv.jpg

Actually, this brings me to another subject. How does everyone feel about the future of the "HD rerelease" trend?

I'm sure publishers will continue to dredge up PS2 and Xbox-era games for reissue, as it's a pretty low-risk venture, but what about PS3 and Xbox 360 games? There are quite a few Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 games that run at resolutions below 1280 x 720. Would you consider buying your favorites again at reduced prices if it would give you the same experience at 1080p with a consistently high framerate and with a few trendy new shader effects glorped on top?

I probably would in a few cases. PC die-hards will surely sneer at the idea, but there we are. This console generation has seen a lot of games with crappy performance that would benefit from a little cleanup. Do we wait another generation before we start getting HD+ versions?

i have more

Remember Me. probably be garbage, but lovely concept art

Splinter Cell: Blacklist, i had a ton of fun with the last one, just a mindless forgettable fun romp

And i'd love to play The Witness but i believe it's going to be PC only? sadface

How does everyone feel about the future of the "HD rerelease" trend?

We must be running out of worthwhile HD upgrade releases now, hitman trilogy is on the horizon.To late for Max Payne

I can foresee a dark souls trilogy HD+ box set in 3 years time. And Gears of war.

I'd love some remakes/re-imaginings though, Soul reaver is begging for a reboot. They should totally remake Quake 2. yeah buddy! And resident evil needs a reboot of course

I'm holding out hope for Battleblock Theater actually coming out this year (was originally scheduled for 2010). Castle Crashers was such a wonderful experience, and I just want to see more from Behemoth.

oh that's what they've been doing, probably be a summer of arcade title

(i didn't really like the look of that, sorry)

Actually, this brings me to another subject. How does everyone feel about the future of the "HD rerelease" trend?
This may be some kind of sacrilege, but I'm really interested in seeing more HD rereleases and collections of old games. I'm a sucker for snazzy boxed sets and only got into a lot of games fairly recently. In particular I'm really excited about Nintendo's recent trend of updating their back catalogue through things like Ocarina of Time and Starfox 64 on 3DS and the enhanced Gamecube ports of games like Metroid Prime and Pikmin that the Wii got.

I feel like a terrible person for wanting a Playstation Vita, because I mostly want it to play the enhanced ports of Muramasa and Persona 4.