toblix

Smart TV just means it has internet access, right? Why's that a dead-end?

I've yet to see a "smart" TV that isn't just a slow, unusable mess of bullshit "apps" that in no way compete with what more and more people have on their tablet right in their laps.

Smart TVs don't get any sort of exposure at all, either. I had never hard of a Smart TV until I saw a few store displays for them last summer. I haven't heard or seen anything about them since.

Also, the primary reaction to Smart TVs by content providers has been to block Smart TVs from accessing their content.

Oh, I'm talking about the already existing AppleTV box, not the TV screen they'll release never. The box is just begging for an app store, IMO..

My girlfriend and I picked up a fairly budget TV a few weeks ago. It seemed impossible to get one without either Smart TV or 3D features. We picked a Smart TV, and so far I've been pretty pleased with Netflix at least. It doesn't seem any clunkier than using a PS3 (though clunkier than the Boxee box my parents have).

Yeah, video related apps are the one obvious exception to what I said – obviously you'd much rather watch video on your TV rather than on your tablet or phone. I wish they'd gone more in that specific direction, rather than making a this whole generic "app" framework thing, but I guess there are too many marketing people involved («we gotta have apps!») and anyway, with little or no standard for a "video service," it would be hard to take any other route.

I can see a technology, Miracast, replacing smart Tv's utterly soon. Miracast is a standards based, direct video/audio streaming through wifi. In other words, everything can use it, and you almost already have it.

Why have 10 devices when you can have one that slings appropriate video to whatever screen/speakers you want?