TychoCelchuuu

The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 - Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie - Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa

Have you ever played Tales of Game's Studios' Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden? It's pretty much the only JRPG I've ever really enjoyed, mostly because playing as Charles Barkley and exploring the post-cyberpocalyptic ruins of Neo New York made for enough hilarity and the combat had enough button mashing/reflex timing that, together, these things could overcome my odd irrational dislike for wandering around dungeons with monster encounters while I keep an eye on my stats bars or whatever it is that you call those things in JRPGs.

Whatever. Shup Up and Jam Gaiden was free, but Tales of Game's Studios is Kickstarting the sequel, The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 - Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie - Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa. I kind of don't want to spend $10 for it even though it looks fantastic and has swapped to the action genre, thus escaping my weird dislike of JRPGs, but I suspect I will cave before the end of the Kickstarter just because the pitch alone makes me laugh.

e39c0824ee9b755dcd8bcc22098a070f_large.png

I would also be lying if I said I didn't want a Cyberdwarf body pillow.

There is also a nice article on the game up at The Verge. Also I just now discovered that The Verge and Polygon are different.

The fact that people are giving this money and not giving Peter Molyneux money is going to melt my mind.

The fact that people are giving this money and not giving Peter Molyneux money is going to melt my mind.

Barkley 2 - $16,344

pledged of $35,000 goal

Project GODUS - £170,368

pledged of £450,000 goal

wut?

Man, don't get me started on that Peter Molyneux Kickstarter. Usually I'm fine with what he does and says. Just to not leave any mystery, he doesn't need Kickstarter. I won't get into it more than that.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I think the guys making this have earned their place to KS this game. I imagine the first one took plenty of time and it's not unreasonable to want to be rewarded for it. Great thing about KS is that you don't have to put a price on the product. Unless they decide to do that. I'm sure that'll make some people miffed.

I just wish the title was shorter. It's funny, don't get me wrong, but good lord.

Barkley 2 - $16,344

pledged of $35,000 goal

Project GODUS - £170,368

pledged of £450,000 goal

wut?

Just some discussion elsewhere. Suffice to say that I think these games are the colon cancer of gaming.

Well, that's fair, if you are a grumpy person with no sense of fun ridiculousness. Lighten up and enjoy things for what they are.

Just some discussion elsewhere. Suffice to say that I think these games are the colon cancer of gaming.

Why? Have you even played the first one? Steve Gaynor disagrees with you and I think anyone sensible would disagree with you. Colon cancer is unpleasant. Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden is hilarious and fun.

edit: how you could say a single mean word about a Kickstarter where the $1,000 backer level is "you get to pretend to be us for an interview with a journalist" and the $10,000 level is "lunch with pictures of us (you pay for lunch)" is beyond me.

Why? Have you even played the first one? Steve Gaynor disagrees with you and I think anyone sensible would disagree with you. Colon cancer is unpleasant. Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden is hilarious and fun.

edit: how you could say a single mean word about a Kickstarter where the $1,000 backer level is "you get to pretend to be us for an interview with a journalist" and the $10,000 level is "lunch with pictures of us (you pay for lunch)" is beyond me.

I did play the first one. It was like the internet had sprung a leak, and in that fetid cesspit someone had created a game.

Man, don't get me started on that Peter Molyneux Kickstarter. Usually I'm fine with what he does and says. Just to not leave any mystery, he doesn't need Kickstarter. I won't get into it more than that.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I think the guys making this have earned their place to KS this game. I imagine the first one took plenty of time and it's not unreasonable to want to be rewarded for it. Great thing about KS is that you don't have to put a price on the product. Unless they decide to do that. I'm sure that'll make some people miffed.

I just wish the title was shorter. It's funny, don't get me wrong, but good lord.

Wait, so 30 years in the industry, quitting a luxurious job at Microsoft to go start a small, indie studio doesn't earn you the right to ASK people for money, but creating a meme in RPG Maker does? That's weird logic, and I don't understand why older devs are put through such insane amounts of scrutiny just because they want to try the indie thing and have creative control over a project they love?

You should back this game because Eric Shumaker is hilarious and this game looks to be wonderful. Watch the pitch video, the jokes are incredible. It is like watching a Brett Gelman piece in a video game.

I loved the first game, so ridiculous. What made it even more silly was that it was a well put together game, despite being such an insane and hilarious concept.

Wait, so 30 years in the industry, quitting a luxurious job at Microsoft to go start a small, indie studio doesn't earn you the right to ASK people for money, but creating a meme in RPG Maker does? That's weird logic, and I don't understand why older devs are put through such insane amounts of scrutiny just because they want to try the indie thing and have creative control over a project they love?

I don't think Molyneux is hurting for money or pitching ideas to publishers without loss of creative control. He has the clout and financial backings necessary to do what he wants.

I've never played the first game, but I respect it, and I don't like the 16-bit art but the animation is winning me over.

I love the completely unapologetic slammin' jammin' action.

I downloaded Barkley 1 last night and played up until the first proper JRPG Battle. Um, I'm glad this makes some people happy for some reason.

What should I do if I don't want to give money to these guys or Peter Molyneux?

At first I thought this game featured Gnarls Barkley, which would've been equally amazing.

Then I saw the first game's designer was Chef Boyardee and my mind was blown after all.

I downloaded Barkley 1 last night and played up until the first proper JRPG Battle. Um, I'm glad this makes some people happy for some reason.

What should I do if I don't want to give money to these guys or Peter Molyneux?

Give and/or don't give money to people you do want to have it, including other game studios, friends and family in the form of either cash or goods and services that were exchanged for cash, or perhaps a worthy cause such as the Red Cross or the Food Bank.

If you are chilly I hear that paper money is excellent tinder.

I don't think Molyneux is hurting for money or pitching ideas to publishers without loss of creative control. He has the clout and financial backings necessary to do what he wants.

Why does everyone assume that? He's running a small indie studio now, I don't think he has money to do whatever the fuck he wants.. And that's besides the point. The point is, he's asking for money, not forcing anyone, and it baffles me that people go "Outrageous! He's not a real starved artist!" Why does that matter? It's a good idea, it needs this much money to get made, you can help it get made without any publisher meddling.

Yeah, how many of the Kickstarters we talked about are actually from people who are hurting for money? They're not living on food stamps, they just can't afford their endeavor.

It was like the internet had sprung a leak, and in that fetid cesspit someone had created a game.

tell us how you really feel.

Why does everyone assume that? He's running a small indie studio now, I don't think he has money to do whatever the fuck he wants.. And that's besides the point. The point is, he's asking for money, not forcing anyone, and it baffles me that people go "Outrageous! He's not a real starved artist!" Why does that matter? It's a good idea, it needs this much money to get made, you can help it get made without any publisher meddling.

Agreed. It's a really silly thing to complain about.