toblix

Double Fine Amnesia Fortnight 2012

Everyone know what this is, so it's that, only now they're doing it all publicly, with voting and videos and humble bundles. Check it out here!

Bonus comment: This guy is amazingly good looking:

aJbfR.png

I was listening to all the ideas in the video, and then his chiselled face appeared and I was taken aback and rendered unable to pay attention to his idea.

Letting the public inside the process is super cool! Having people vote on everything seems like it favor the same sorts of winners that Greenlight favors, although with much less art to go on people do have to vote largely based on the concept which I suppose cuts down on the whole "certain aesthetics get all the success." I'm rooting for JP's game - I've wanted another Startopia since... the first Startopia. Brad Muir's "KAIJU PILEDRIVER" sounds exciting too although I'm curious as to how extensive the roguelike elements would be.

edit: Rock Paper Shotgun has an interview with the Schafmeister about the process.

That's Levi! He's a good artist.

Way to take the fun out of toblix's objectifications.

Yup, this is an awesome thing. I like that there's so much variety, both in the themes and genres, but also in the concreteness of the pitch («catapult a physics object onto this switch to cross the gap» vs «you will feel like part of a warm summer». Double Fine have managed to position themselves deep in the Heart of the Gamer.

I was not at all surprised to hear JP's pitch come out of his mouth. I do think that the word "ace" needs to be somewhere in the title, though.

I also voted for, among other things, The Flock, not because I think it would make a particularly interesting game but because I fucking love birds.

edit: and toblix is sitting pretty in the #2 highest donor/purchaser slot with a payment of what I can only assume to be the randomly chosen value of $123.45

This is really cool! I voted for JP's Spacebase, Lee Petty's Autonomous and Brandon Dillon's Hack n' Slash. Seems like a boring vote as those 3 all seem to be in the top 5 or so. I even thought about voting for the White Birch, but I'm a bit sick of platformers (unless they are post-excellent).

Still thinking what else I'm going to vote for... maybe The Flock or RedBot's Reboot or Echelon...

omg! Haven't watched yet, but Amnesia Fortnight is my favourite thing. It's SO perfect for Double Fine.

I've seen a couple other studios do similar brain-storming events but I hope it's something everyone does.

...guys this is a pretty weird video.

EDIT- Holy crap a lot of those games sounded good. I'm clicking on the thumbnails and nothing's happening D:

I went for Autonomous, Black Lake, White Birch, and Spacebace DF-9

They need to patch Costume Quest prototype -- it gets stuck in combat mode sometimes. Also, suprised both by how similar and how different it is from the final game.

Wonderful idea. I managed to narrow it down to 8 pitches - Autonomous, Kaiju Piledriver, The White Birch, Bragging & Fighting, Milgrim, The Knockover, Black Lake and Spacebase DF9. Now to decide...damn!

3050941094b10a47a00786e07e374852.png?1353365797

This DoubleFine High concept art made me laugh.

Yea there's a lot o good games here. I think SpaceBase and CritterVerse are two definate picks from me. MAYBE Milgrim... I dunno... I wanna ask questions about most of these.

Holy crap, this is tons of awesome. Instantly paid 50 bucks!

I do have to say that Spacebase DF-9 sounds suspiciously like a remake of of Mucky feet's Startopia. Which is a totally awesome thing! (I presume JP will address this some time during the fortnight)