toblix

Double Fine Amnesia Fortnight 2012

I voted for seven games, but I first voted for only four as I thought that was the point.

Silent But Deadly needs to be one of the four. ;)

Shine Run is like Shine Runner which has been already done for at least Android. That's strange. The concept is almost exactly the same except the vehicle is different. Not surprised to see that hasn't gotten votes. I didn't vote that.

So it looks like Hack 'n Slash, Spacebase, The White Berch, and Autonomous are the winners. Though Black Lake and Kaiju Piledriver could pull out maybe the last place still with 2 days left.

Hope to see what's coming out of this either way! Good job to Doublefine.

There is still a 1+ day left. Although the gap is rather large. I'm glad my 100 votes for Autonomous helped.

Interesting how there are seven clear winners. What happens to the three that aren't taken to prototype stage, given that they've demonstrated they have a certain amount of public appeal?

It is nice that the winners are reasonably diverse, although many are... similar... to games that have come before.

I really don't get why The White Birch is doing so well... and Bad Golf is doing so badly :(

Edit: Or Black Lake for that matter. Both that and White Birch sound very bland to me :-/

He, have you people tried the prototypes yet?

I just played a bit of Brazen. It's quite nice, it's sort of a fighting game against huge monsters in the style of Jason and the Argonauts including monster animation in the style of Ray Harryhausen \o/

He, have you people tried the prototypes yet?

I just played a bit of Brazen. It's quite nice, it's sort of a fighting game against huge monsters in the style of Jason and the Argonauts including monster animation in the style of Ray Harryhausen \o/

image-2.jpg

Sorry, it just popped into my head.

I really don't get why The White Birch is doing so well... and Bad Golf is doing so badly :(

Edit: Or Black Lake for that matter. Both that and White Birch sound very bland to me :-/

Yeah I don't get why Autonomous has so many votes. Building AI robots out of bits of gray shapes sounds boring, and the world and theme of it don't seem very exciting or like much fun either.

Hack N Slash has the absolute MOST votes, and it's one of the games where I just can't figure out how you play it or what you do. He's talking about editing the game's code, but isn't that something that like 1% of people know how to do, or even enjoy doing? The votes are crazy.

EDIT- Wow those are actually the top 4... welp, at least Space Base seems really good.

You monster!

I voted for... Spacebase and others. Bad Golf. Can't remember, probably something like 8 altogether.

I voted for 3 out of the top 4 so I'm happy (as long as Black Lake doesn't make a sudden push past Autonomous).

Yeah I don't get why Autonomous has so many votes. Building AI robots out of bits of gray shapes sounds boring, and the world and theme of it don't seem very exciting or like much fun either.

Shut up! They are not gray shapes. Also, you don't get what it will be. It will be awesome.

Shut up! They are not gray shapes. Also, you don't get what it will be. It will be awesome.

It kind of reminded me of a sandbox Minecraft style game meets Tron. This gave me a nerd boner.

I voted for both The Birch and Black Lake because they are quiet pitches with nice art direction being helmed by what looks like quite people.

I don't think they are bland; I just think they are not as bombastic as others.

And I could definitely use some more games made by quiet people.

I have no idea what it'll be, I'm just picturing garbage-bots moving around a map like some kind of tower defense, playing punch animations on... other robots? A lot o spikey gray buildings under purple n blue lights? The game in my mind looks awful.

No, it's not tower defense. It's exploring a world and creating autonomous robots that will help you (or not given that you cannot control them).

From Lee's mouth:

You explore a new-wave inspired, futuristic “junkyard world” in a first-person perspective to collect primitives and energy in order to construct, and give life to, automatons. Once activated, automatons have a “mind” of their own that you cannot directly control. Automaton behavior is derived both from the type of primitives that they are built from as well as an array of dials and sliders that you set during their construction. But assembling automatons isn’t just a creative exercise—it’s also a matter of survival. The environment is a hazardous one, and you must find ways to harness the self-directed automatons to explore, survive and ultimately shape the world around you.

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewreply/247046/

Brazen was quite nice, they should you know... Kickstart it perhaps?

I really liked the monster animation style. Really, really reminded me about the old adventure movies of Harryhousen. I too remember seeing those as a kid.

Three of the four I voted for got picked in the final four.

At this point I don't get why Hack'n Slash got so many votes, but it will be a blast to see how the prototypes will end up being in two weeks from now.

I doubt I will be checking the live stream that much. Is it going to be on all the time or just like some hours per day?

Brazen was quite nice, they should you know... Kickstart it perhaps?

I really liked the monster animation style. Really, really reminded me about the old adventure movies of Harryhousen. I too remember seeing those as a kid.

Three of the four I voted for got picked in the final four.

At this point I don't get why Hack'n Slash got so many votes, but it will be a blast to see how the prototypes will end up being in two weeks from now.

I doubt I will be checking the live stream that much. Is it going to be on all the time or just like some hours per day?

It'll be roughly eight hours per day, starting Wednesday--today and tomorrow will be shorter streams since development hasn't begun yet.

But with limited time you might be more interested in 2 Player Productions' daily videos. I don't know how long they'll be, but they sure won't be eight hours each.

Oof, I was hoping to see Kaiju Piledriver as one of the top 4, but Spacebase made it in, so that's just as good.

I've also always been curious as to how gamejams actually go down, so I guess I'll be glued to the livestream.

Awesome... they are going to do the top 5 games. So Black Lake is also in.

But actually only 1 is going to get made into a full game? Is that how previous (closed) amnesia fortnights also worked? Did Stacking, Costume Quest etc. all come from different fortnights?

But actually only 1 is going to get made into a full game? Is that how previous (closed) amnesia fortnights also worked? Did Stacking, Costume Quest etc. all come from different fortnights?

My guess is they'll make whatever works great of the prototypes. I mean, if all 5 end up being fantastically fun you don't just toss 4 out and say "welp, we're only doing one ever, goodbye!"

But certainly Doublefine isn't big enough/probably not budgeted enough to make all 5 games at once either. So, probably just a "wait and see" thing. How many people they have available now/soonish, how many (if any) work out well, etc.

Total guess of course, but I doubt there's any "hard rules" that couldn't be broken under the right circumstances.