toblix

Double Fine Amnesia Fortnight 2012

Thanks for all the kind comments about the music, guys!

You can download it in friendly format on the Humble Bundle page where you downloaded the games.

In Spacebase's case it's necessary due to the dynamic layering of the music, but the other games may include the data in mp3 format in the games themselves.

Actually, the music layering system I wrote for Spacebase just uses regular streaming MP2 files (which is what we use for pretty much all of our streaming music in our games). We feed uncompressed Wav files into Fmod and we have various compression presets for different types of sounds: music, effects, voice, ambience, etc. Then Fmod (running on one of our build machines) compiles all of the audio into one or more banks (usually, a bank for each category of sound), and those aren't playable in regular music software.

Our 3D Buddha engine supports audio events with "parameters" (that is, various layers that can be cross-faded in Fmod), but our 2D engine based on MOAI does not. That's why I had to write my own system for our implementation. (For what it's worth, we could build in that native support to our engine if we wanted to, but it wasn't practical for a two-week prototype.) To get around that limitation for Spacebase, all three music layers are separate music files that all start playing as soon as the game loads (or when the player switches tracks, or un-mutes, etc.), and my system is actually just dynamically managing their relative volumes in the background.

I'll read that a little later. Thank you

That photo of Chris makes me laugh. Does the man ever shut his fucking mouth?! Remo the fly catcher