mikemariano

Gone Home from The Fullbright Company

That's stupid. But since you're not saying another word on the subject, I'll just leave it at that.

I think the above letter was written by somebody with a medical degree. It's impossible to read. :)

Initials of the ghost you play as from Gone Home confirmed.

Oooooooooh, so...

you assume you're playing as one of the daughters because you hear answer phone messages and notes left around "remember to buy hotdogs as Sally's coming him at the weekend" whatever.

But actually you are the g g g ghost of the former occupant of the house, who has 'gone home'. Who actually built the house in the first place. This starts to dawn on the player when you find secret passage ways that haven't been open for 70 years, and the 'person' you are playing as somehow knows all the combinations to the locks of the secret tunnels

How can Sally know the combination? No ones been down how in 70 years.... Unless... G g g g g GHOSTS! Roll credits

Or even better...

You're playing as the reanimated corpse of the original occupant of the house who has 'gone home'. And as you are searching around the house you can hear voices... Spooky! But they're not the voices of the dead, they are the voices of the living! The family who now live in the house who are hiding from the zombie (you) shuffling around looking through their underwear draws.

The game finishes when you finally find the family holed up in the attic and you eat their brains. Roll credits

I'm calling Gaynors bluff, he said there's no dead bodies. I say YOU ARE THE DEAD BODY!

Or...

You are an extraterrestrial who's been left on earth by accident and you are hunting around the house for coat hangers and computer chips so you can build a device so you can 'phone home'. But whilst rooting through the possessions of a 13 year old boy you start to build a connection, an affinity, a friendship that will transcend time and space. The game finishes with you dressed in drag. Roll credits.

Any possibilities of this indie darling appearing on the PS4? Does it have game pad support? I don't think I'll ever get to play it otherwise

That's stupid. But since you're not saying another word on the subject, I'll just leave it at that.

This post is just to not let you have the last word.

I am looking forward to this ghost house game more and more. I swear I've seen that gargoyle/lion head somwhere before, it's driving me nuts.

The handwriting on the envelope is mine, as is the drawing of the lion. The handwriting in the 2nd note is our friend Foley's. She is good at doing "old timey handwriting."

We're doing like Lacabra suggests, and getting a bunch of different people we know to contribute handwriting to the game, since you can only fake so many different people's handwriting before it becomes obvious it's all being written by the same human. For instance, we've all gotten our moms to contribute handwriting-- you can't fake a middle-aged woman's handwriting, it turns out. Though NObody's handwriting today looks like someone's who would've been writing a note in 1923, so you have to fake some stuff.

We do have gamepad support already, and should be Steam Big Picture compliant. We're going to investigate other platforms like PS4 after we launch on PC/Mac/Linux.

Did you use a reference for that lion? It has a really cool medieval/mesoamerican vibe to it that I can't put my finger on.

We're going to investigate other platforms like PS4 after we launch on PC/Mac/Linux.

Fingers crossed! seems like a good fit to me

Did you use a reference for that lion? It has a really cool medieval/mesoamerican vibe to it that I can't put my finger on.

Yeah it is kind of an Aztec/Mayan-inspired thing. 

I hadn't really thought about it, but the handwriting of the older people I know is waaaaay more distinctive than that of anyone my age I'm aware of. I wonder if that just comes with time or we all just have uninteresting handwriting

Few of us write as much, so there's no time for handwriting to develop or any need for it, since we do not express ourselves through our handwriting to the same extend.

True, hadn't thought of that. Bit sad, my mother's handwriting is insane and insanely fast, I kind of wish I could do it.

Also Steve just tweeted "excited for when indies move on to emulating the PS1 era. God that 32-bit texture style/rendering" and i was all "oh lawd that is sort of what i am doing". I crave the Gone Home team's approval

Few of us write as much, so there's no time for handwriting to develop or any need for it, since we do not express ourselves through our handwriting to the same extend.

I think one big part of it too is that handwriting was actually taught as part of public school coursework when our parents were growing up, including learning how to do cursive properly and quickly. 

This post is just to not let you have the last word.

How rude!

I think one big part of it too is that handwriting was actually taught as part of public school coursework when our parents were growing up, including learning how to do cursive properly and quickly. 

The-Simpsons-06x14-Barts-Comet.jpg

Handwriting was taught to me in school (about 20 years ago, I suppose), although it was private school. Maybe public schools threw it away first. I dunno if private schools would even still do it.

Handwriting is fun! Sort of. I don't really remember how to do cursive. Although I suppose if I just started doing it, it'd come back to me.

Everyone my age learned in school how to do joined writing. All the girls learned in their school and the boys in ours. This meant that the boys in my town had different writing than the girls and anything written could immediately be gendered.

Your writing is boys writing Steve.

Well even at schools where boys and girls learn together (well, mine, at least), the girls' writing was generally more... bubbly. Lots of round wide curves, instead of the boys' more sloppy, angular style.

Everyone my age learned in school how to do joined writing. All the girls learned in their school and the boys in ours. This meant that the boys in my town had different writing than the girls and anything written could immediately be gendered.

Your writing is boys writing Steve.

Yeah. Though Karla does another female teen character, and her writing is almost indistinguishable from mine (we do a lot of color coding and stuff.) It's weird.

I showed off this video game at Rezzed this weekend. It was super well received, even by people who had no idea of its existence prior to seeing the booth. Hooray!

I showed off this video game at Rezzed this weekend. It was super well received, even by people who had no idea of its existence prior to seeing the booth. Hooray!

One could say that it's the Citizen Kane of indie games, even.

Anyways, after looking at the PAX blogpost I dug through the Fullbright archive, and I really enjoyed a lot of the progress work on the logo and voice acting. Johnnemann's programming posts in particular are also really cool for actually having code excerpts and a very straightforward this-is-how-i-did-it explanation. Is there a post on Chris Remo's music coming soon?

You guys did a fine job. I saw a ton of people excited for this game too which is great.