Roderick

Assassin's Creed: Mohawk

So, how are we feeling about this?

original.jpg

To be sure the setting of the American war of independence sounds rife with cool stories, characters, though less so interesting architecture to climb, and conflict, but at the moment I'm still a little disappointed that we didn't get to see revolutionary/Napoleonic France. That's purely based on personal preference though.

I look forward to seeing how this game will propel the series into the future. Not just in terms of story, but especially from a gameplay standpoint. It would be good if some real changes to the core gameplay were made to reflect the changing times and ensure the franchise doesn't get bogged down in conventions, much like the Zelda topic we've all been discussing lately.

That image seems more like a parody of Assassin's Creed franchise than a teaser for a sequel: "Lets use the same character design, clothes and pose once again, but slab an American flag on the background. Done."

I'm a bit disappointed by the setting, but still looking forward to see where they go with this one. Hopefully, someplace new.

I thought this was a joke. Anyway, can't get excited about this at the moment. Too many other cool games on the way.

Maybe I'm just a European asshole but this doesn't interest me at all. Americans often reference stuff about about their war of independence or their civil war, but it's totally meaningless to me. I don't know much about either and what I do know has never interested me.

There are plenty of other sections of history that I also don't care about, the only reason this one feels weirder than those is because, like I said, it gets referenced all the time. A lot of popular media comes from the US and it often takes for granted that people understand and care about these two points in time.

That said, I still haven't finished Revelations and I'm already feeling sort of burned out on Assassin's Creed so maybe my patience for the series is just running out.

Have they said if they will they do 3 Assassins Creed 3 games like they did with 2? They've said the series will end with 3 but I have a feeling they're not willing to let go of the cash flow just yet.

Nah, I think they've just said that Desmond's story will finish with 3; not that the entire series will. That'll be their loophole, I guarantee it.

How many buildings taller than 5m did Revolution-era NA have?

I was part of a discussion about possible settings for Assassins Creed 3 a while back, and when the American war of independence came up as a possibility it was regarded as unlikely for this very reason. But then we hypothesized that instead of large buildings the main character would scale

A spiritual successor to Shadow of the Colossus, if you will.

I'm happy that they're doing another setting that's not often explored in games (aside from grognardy strategy). Aside from the kinda half-assed continuing adventures of Ezio, that's been one of the major strengths of the series.

As with every historical setting chosen for an Assassin's Creed game, it still bums me out that the only way to get historical fiction in non-strategy games is to load them up with supernatural elements and near-superpowered killing machines.

On some level it makes sense, what with all the conspiracy theories around the founding fathers being freemasons and the links of freemasonry with the illuminati etc.

In general terms, I think I would have preferred something with more interesting architecture and if they were going to do America, I think the period following the civil war would have been more interesting if only for the fact that you have Lincoln, Garfield, & McKinley assassinated within the space of 40 years and it would have been neat to see a revisionist history with protagonist assassin somehow responsible for orchestrating all of those.

On some level it makes sense, what with all the conspiracy theories around the founding fathers being freemasons and the links of freemasonry with the illuminati etc.

In general terms, I think I would have preferred something with more interesting architecture and if they were going to do America, I think the period following the civil war would have been more interesting if only for the fact that you have Lincoln, Garfield, & McKinley assassinated within the space of 40 years and it would have been neat to see a revisionist history with protagonist assassin somehow responsible for orchestrating all of those.

Well, there's still Assassin's Creed 3: Supremacy and Assassin's Creed 3: Ultimatum for that. :tup:

Well, there's still Assassin's Creed 3: Supremacy and Assassin's Creed 3: Ultimatum for that. :tup:

You took the words out of my mouth :)

I actually really like this setting. It's something that, as a European, I'm not intimately familiar with. Also, the change of landscape might actually change up the gameplay a bit. After 3 games of steady improvement on the first, maybe it's time for a bit of a switch up?

Also, who wants to bet that Abe Lincoln and JFK were killed by the Templar? :shifty:

...as a European, I'm not intimately familiar with.

As Americans, I'm sure the vast majority of people who will play this are also not familiar with the setting.

How many buildings taller than 5m did Revolution-era NA have?

A considerable number. While smaller colonies were mostly log buildings, places like Philadelphia, New York and Boston (our most likely locales city-wise) all had three and four story brick and mortar buildings in decent abundance. Keep in mind that, while they were fighting for independence from England, a large majority of the colonists at the time were still spoke like and sounded like the people they so hated. Their architectural style was also still heavily influenced by London.

Of course, this being Assassins Creed everyone is just going to speak perfectly unaccented American English.

Well sure old Ezio is old, but it's going to take some alien artifact thingy to get the American version to be around during the revolution (presumably a teen, at least) and still be around to off Mckinley. You're talking about 130+ years old even if he's 10 at the time of independence.

Which is not to say that the series has demonstrated the kind of restraint that indicates they wouldn't find some artifact to slow his aging/make him immortal/clone him etc, but they did manage to get away without it for Ezio (unless there's a plot twist like that I missed by not playing revelations).

A considerable number. While smaller colonies were mostly log buildings, places like Philadelphia, New York and Boston (our most likely locales city-wise) all had three and four story brick and mortar buildings in decent abundance. .

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_yE1jakaG6kk/TAm295j5chI/AAAAAAAACag/u__X_UkIvAs/s1600/boston+harbor.jpg

A lot of churches too, apparently.

Think back to Gangs of New York. That was around that period, right?

I'm both excited and bummed. First off, there's a game with a native lead character whose name isn't something borderline racist like "Tommy Hawk" (I'm looking at you, Prey) and coming from a developer surrounded by whatever artifacts of Algonquin civilization Canada has managed to hold onto, I'm curious to see what they do with that. Second, as someone else has said, it's a setting that has only really been done by the grognard-iest of games, so that's new. Third, it's more AC, and I'm still way too into that series, not feeling at all burnt out halfway through Revelations right now. That said, I would have preferred the French Revolution setting that had been rumoured, so I'm disappointed that that isn't happening.

Still, cautiously optimistic. As with all things AC however, I must point out that this is coming from someone who played the PSP version to completion twice and actually enjoyed it. It is definitely something that I am inclined to be stoked on.

Think back to Gangs of New York. That was around that period, right?

Considerably later.

Yeah man, this game, you're riding buffaloes and bisons.

I'd actually be interested in learning more about this period of American history. I know bits and pieces about the Boston tea party and how that one dude ran across the country on a horse to warn all the cities the British were coming. But what I don't know is, for instance, what role the Dutch Republic played at the time, or what tensions ran through the various factions.

I concur with Chris that it's sad we can't just have a straight-up historical game. At this point I've made peace with the sci-fi framing of Assassin's Creed, but I'd still like to see a ballsy historical game at some point.

About the Napoleonic wars because holy shit that's the craziest and most interesting bit of European history ever I've been reading all these books about it and it's bafflingly interesting

I don't believe for a second you can't find an audience for that, I think gamers as a group are underestimated hugely about the breadth of their appetite.