Salka

Fund Tim Schafer's next game YOURSELF!

Kickstarter inspires some bad habits in me because it lists all donors in the order in which they donated.

So now I get to gloat because I supported the Double Fine Adventure before such luminaries as Chris Avellone and Notch.

But I got beat out by Greg Kasavin and Felicia Day. (And the Idle Thumbs crew, probably.)

Are you listed earlier than page 26? If so, congratulations, you're hipper than I am based on this meaningless metric that no one finds important!

Kickstarter inspires some bad habits in me because it lists all donors in the order in which they donated.

So now I get to gloat because I supported the Double Fine Adventure before such luminaries as Chris Avellone and Notch.

But I got beat out by Greg Kasavin and Felicia Day. (And the Idle Thumbs crew, probably.)

Are you listed earlier than page 26? If so, congratulations, you're hipper than I am based on this meaningless metric that no one finds important!

Page 16 boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys.

Damn. Will there be anyone left to actually buy the game when it's released?

I was thinking the same thing when I donated. "Well shit, I'm getting the game for $15, and lots of other stuff for paying more than that. I wonder who will buy this when it comes out if everyone is getting it now." It's certainly going to be interesting to see how that shakes out on Steam when it launches. Still, exciting! It's been a weird couple of days to be gone from most internet stuff. I logged into the U of C's wifi yesterday solely to ask a question for class. Today I go online and see that since Wednesday afternoon Double Fine has gone from 0% of their goal to 350%. Good on you, internet.

So far there have been only 40.000 contributors. I'm sure a DF game sells more than 40.000 copies. I'm sure there are enough people who are going to buy the game.

I would have figured a portion of these donations do cover profit even before copies of the game are sold after the project is done. $15 isn't really priced differently than the previous smaller Double Fine games to come out.

I'm actually now more interested in what the budgets were for Costume Quest, Trenched/Iron Brigade, Once Upon a Monster, and Stacking just to compare to what kind of game we might be looking at here.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

I would have figured a portion of these donations do cover profit even before copies of the game are sold after the project is done. $15 isn't really priced differently that the previous smaller Double Fine games to come out.

I'm actually now more interested in what the budgets were for Costume Quest, Trenched/Iron Brigade, Once Upon a Monster, and Stacking just to compare to what kind of game we might be looking at here.

You're forgetting that marketing is not a concern where marketing can easily be 60% of the budget, esp. for a wee game. And who cares about profit when there is no investor? They're gonna cover all expenses and salaries and walk away happy. Basically, I would expect games under this model to sell for a lot less money than a game that also has to worry about marketing and investors.

Well I know breaking even is always ideal, but profit just going towards companies in hard times or the next game is always nice. It doesn't really help the employees directly outside of possible raises, but making a little over the top always helps the company as a whole.

You're forgetting that marketing is not a concern where marketing can easily be 60% of the budget, esp. for a wee game. And who cares about profit when there is no investor? They're gonna cover all expenses and salaries and walk away happy. Basically, I would expect games under this model to sell for a lot less money than a game that also has to worry about marketing and investors.

Also, since they're selling the game on Steam, a certain amount of marketing happens automatically in that the game is in front of new people via the Steam client.

Number 13! :)

Assuming they don't blow all that Kickstarted dough unwisely, every single game they sell after they're done is pure profit. Extra sales are bound to happen as there are surely gonna be people who're gonna miss getting in on the Double Kickstarter Fine Funtimes but are still curious to play the game.

Yeah, for instance ME, since I can't fund the Kickstarter because of my lack of credit card or Amazon account =( I'm seriously miffed by it.

I only pledged this morning, while I was on Kickstarter checking on something else I'd pledged on. I am so late to this party.

Yeah, for instance ME, since I can't fund the Kickstarter because of my lack of credit card or Amazon account =( I'm seriously miffed by it.

I've never had a credit card either. Yet I keep buying stuff online somehow :) I don't know if they have something like this in the Netherlands, but look into virtual credit cards -- they are not really credit cards as there's no credit involved. In Estonia only one bank (SEB, maybe you have SEB there as well?) offers it, and I've been using it forever. I can create a new one in a couple of minutes, set the limit myself and they are only valid for 40 days.

[edit] Hmm, I guess this might be unique to Estonia, says so here: http://www.seb.ee/en/business/bankcards/virtual-card [/edit]

Banks in the UK give you debit cards (so you can get money out ATMs) that can also be used as credit cards, as they're VISA debit cards — you just select 'VISA' when filling it all in. This not the case in the rest of Europe? :tmeh:

Tweet from Schafer:

$1,343,061! We've passed the budget of Day of the Tentacle and are closing in on the Full Throttle budget ($1.5M). I'm adding motorcycles!

Adjusted for inflation, it would cost ~$2,213,966.54 in 2011. So they're not really there yet, but they should make it.

Thanks Erkki. We do have one-use only credit cards here, so I guess I'll just get one and use it for this. Good idea. I wanna see that documentary! Player2 Productions was also responsible for the excellent first season of the Penny Arcade documentary. If this is half as fun, it'll be terrific.

What I love the most about this is that we are paying just for a game from Tim, all we know is that it's adventure game.

Is it Grim Fandago: The After Afterlife? Pyschonauts 2? A dating sim with all our favorite adventure game designers in sailor fukus? WE DON'T CARE! SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

I wonder who bought the dinner with Tim, I hope it was Notch, that would be awesome!

I am excited and confused! :blink: