BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

The other thing that they never mentioned about Hyrule Warriors is that the whole game can be played co-op. Which is pretty neat if you're not too fussed about getting every base and finding all the Golden Skulltulas (which is kinda lame btw. They appear generally after 1000 kills, but in the story mode, there is 2 per map (you unlock the other one after completing the game), and only one golden skulltula will appear in a playthrough, which is annoying.) Basically, One person plays on the Tablet, and the other person (with either the pro controller or the wiimote + nunchuck) plays on the TV. Which is pretty rad. It's also quite funny, as P1 is generally locked to one or two characters, whilst P2 can choose anyone, so we had a blast playing as Ganondorf and Zelda, as watching the princess of light siding with someone evil to do evil things.

I've heard (and seen) that the framerate and resolution take a pretty big hit when you add a second player.  Something to keep in mind if that matters to you.

I've heard (and seen) that the framerate and resolution take a pretty big hit when you add a second player.  Something to keep in mind if that matters to you.

Yeah I noticed that too. But only on the Tablet screen did it look noticeably worse. I didn't notice any frame rate issues though. It didn't bother me enough to stop playing, as it was a lot of fun.

I'm playing Mega Man Battle Network on Wii U VC; and it holds up incredibly well. That battle system is just so FUN.

I bought hyrule warriors last night. Left it downloading whie I was asleep. Super excited to play it today if I ever get home from work.

Yeah I noticed that too. But only on the Tablet screen did it look noticeably worse. I didn't notice any frame rate issues though. It didn't bother me enough to stop playing, as it was a lot of fun.

The framerate difference looked fairly obvious on the Giant Bomb Quicklook, but that might have just been the level they were in or something up with the capture rig I guess.

I really like Hyrule Warriors, but I don't know why. I'm not very far (Destiny is still occupying most of my gaming time) but it's enjoyable. 

Shit, apparently the GC Controller adapter will actually emulate the Wii U Classic Controller - http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/07/wii-us-gamecube-controller-will-support-more-than-just-smash-bros/

That's actually super exciting, as the proud owner of two Wavebirds. This actually makes me want a Wii U that much more, a huge reversal from my original cynicism.

It'd be better if he was planking horizontally & had a thin plastic support to suspend in permanent "Green Missile" mode, maybe a quarter-turn rotation for good measure

I remember literally crying with laughter seeing Luigi do that in melee. Props to nintendo for choosing the best Luigi pose.

So, Bayonetta 2 reviews dropped today, and overall, they're exceedingly positive. I remember being at E3 when the first one was about to come out, and being mega disappointed by the woman they had walking around in full Bayonetta outfit, since the weird oversexualization of that game was pretty offensive. I never played the original, and even though this game is apparently a very good action game, it kind of pumps up the juvenile humor, too. I'm really glad that polygon's review score reflects the fact that this is unnecessary, and offensive. 

Perhaps I'd need to play the game to see that this is done ironically, or done to make a point, but I have a feeling it's done in that kind of strange way that these things are done in some games. And that's sad to me. Good job polygon for sticking to your guns. I know that they're likely to get some flak for it, but I think it's a very good move. 

Edit: I mostly want to hear a perspective like the one given by Leigh Alexander, here. Is Bayonetta 2 a game which, on the surface, is exploitative, but actually has things to say? 

Yeah absolutely do not read the comments on that Polygon review. I know "don't read the comments" is a general rule, but especially avoid them on that game, since Arthur points out - correctly - that sexploitation aspect of the game detracts from the otherwise enjoyable nature.

That said, good lord that demo sold me. Tight controls, wacky-as-hell (pun... sort of intended?) attacks and gameplay, and Witch Time is something I didn't know I needed but YO I NEEDED IT

So, Bayonetta 2 reviews dropped today, and overall, they're exceedingly positive. I remember being at E3 when the first one was about to come out, and being mega disappointed by the woman they had walking around in full Bayonetta outfit, since the weird oversexualization of that game was pretty offensive. I never played the original, and even though this game is apparently a very good action game, it kind of pumps up the juvenile humor, too. I'm really glad that polygon's review score reflects the fact that this is unnecessary, and offensive. 

Perhaps I'd need to play the game to see that this is done ironically, or done to make a point, but I have a feeling it's done in that kind of strange way that these things are done in some games. And that's sad to me. Good job polygon for sticking to your guns. I know that they're likely to get some flak for it, but I think it's a very good move.

I don't think it matters if the game is ironic or not. Part of what makes the game is the sexualized aspect of it. So there will be objectification because that's a Bayonetta game. I think the Polygon review is ridiculous to dock the score because of the essence of the game. It would be like someone who reviews B-Horror movies from the 80s and docks the score because there's too much gore and tits. Like that's what people are looking for that would like those movies, why should Bayonetta lose points from its score for doing what it's trying to do?

I guess it's the author's point of view, I know that, but wouldn't it be more in the service of readers to find someone in tune with that sort of thing? Bayonetta is one of those extremes where you can't expect it to change without the compromise coming out super lackluster. It's not like Dragon's Crown where the sexualization is obnoxious and grotesque and wouldn't make a difference if it were not in the game. That is where I agree with docking points.

Even if we get to a point where games are more equal in their representation, there's still going to be these sexualized guy games like Bayonetta and it's just a constant that you can't expect to change. It would be the same as expecting different of Dead or Alive.

And all of this said, I will never play Bayonetta, all of that stuff puts me off and I don't find the game particularly sexy either, just grotesque. But there's more than a few other games that play exactly like Bayonetta with different subject matter, so it is not something I feel I need to criticize or damn someone for liking.

I don't think saying something is ironic makes it any better than the real thing if they're identical in execution.

But there's more than a few other games that play exactly like Bayonetta with different subject matter, so it is not something I feel I need to criticize or damn someone for liking.

I actually disagree with you there. Whilst there are games that are similar in that they are 3rd person beat 'em ups, I don't feel that there's anything quite like Bayonetta. It might not be apparent in the first playthrough on normal, as the real beauty and robustness of the fighting system really comes out when the game is set to infinite climax. On infinite climax mode, you cannot activate witch time by dodging. This means that the only way to activate witch time is by parrying. This completely changes how you play the game, as you now have to take huge risks to fight off the most simple enemies. You might be able to survive a couple of levels without parrying, but about three or four levels in, there is an enemy that's covered in fire. By this time, you know that the only way to hurt enemies on fire is to attack them in witch time, so you have to learn how to parry. After that, you start to read the enemies tells as they attack, and become fluent in parrying enemies, and it feels awesome... Until about halfway in, as the enemies change their attack patterns and messes up everything. again.

Also, the way you can equip different things on your feet and hands is a really nice system. Swapping between the two sets of hand/feet combos on the fly, depending on the enemies is a really sweet system that works so perfectly, and I can't think of any other brawler that does something like that.

I'm super excited for Bayonetta 2. The demo was superb, and was exactly what I was hoping from the sequel of Bayonetta. I was a tad skeptical about the flying parts, but it seems like my worries were baseless.

I think it's fine that different reviewers have different priorities. We don't really need reviewers to tell us if a game is playable any more, most games are. Whether or not a game will be worth the time these days depends mostly on taste.

I can't think of any other brawler that does something like that.

Wonderful 101? Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance? All Platinum games are very similar in how they play, which is certainly not a criticism (sort of like saying how every orgasm is similar), but I have to disagree with this point. 

I don't think saying something is ironic makes it any better than the real thing if they're identical in execution.

I agree, but are games like Bayonetta and Dragon's Crown identical in execution? In Bayonetta you play as a strong female who uses her sexuality to distract, dominate and derogate her enemies. The "fan service" of bouncing ass and tits is generally in context like it is in a campy British movie such as Carry On X. 

Dragon's Crown on the other hand has you fight over scantily clad maidens to be used as pretty much objects. The female characters (and male) are pretty much devoid of personality, making their overt sexualistion seem out of place.

My only dislike for Bayonetta and the Platinum formula is the award system at the end of each section. You're involved in this epic event only for a shit player like me to be given a stone/consolation prize. Kinda puts a downer on it. 

Wonderful 101? Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance? All Platinum games are very similar in how they play, which is certainly not a criticism (sort of like saying how every orgasm is similar), but I have to disagree with this point

I actually forgot about metal rising. Although I don't remember the parry system having the added witch time. Likewise, I'm pretty sure that 101 had parry assigned to a button (which is slightly different than bayonetta/mgr). Either way you are correct, but bayonetta did it first. (Which is a moot point, but still.) Also mgr didn't have the weapon system like bayonetta did.

No, but the things like Witch time and hand/foot combos are flavour that make the game better, while still following a similar formula.

I'm super excited for Bayo since I never even knew about the first one. So I'll have both of the fantastic platinum games soon!

You can now pre-order digital copies of select Nintendo games! It only works for six games right now (Captain Toad, Smash Bros Wii U, Pokémon Art Academy, Fantasy Life, and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire), it's US/Canada only, and you have to do it through their website; but it's a start! I put a preorder down for Alpha Sapphire to test it out. Apparently you can set it to download the game automatically at release, but I haven't found that option. Maybe it's US-only?

(note: those are the US pages. If you're in Canada like me, just try to sign in with your NNID. It'll give you an error that includes a link to the Canadian page for that item. I have no idea how to navigate Nintendo's website)