Asembo

Minecraft

Okay, fuck this, this is just too scary.

LOL! I'm rather annoyed ta MineCraft, I'm not a predominatley PC gamer, and my terrible little netbook can only run MineCraft at around 6FPS, I really need to shell out for something better.

Still, brilliant game, am I right in thinking that Gold is useless and Obsidian can make arrows?

Yes and no, respectively. You make arrows out of the little flint rocks that live in gravel blocks.

Yes and no, respectively. You make arrows out of the little flint rocks that live in gravel blocks.

I did no that, but I read up on my obsidian today (as in the real world obsidian) and found out that it was primitively used as spearheads and arrowheads due to it's sharpness.

So what's the current use for it? It seems like Notch made some weird decisions with Gold, Obsidian and Red Stone, they're all somewhat redundant right now, but could be interesting in the future...

I did no that, but I read up on my obsidian today (as in the real world obsidian) and found out that it was primitively used as spearheads and arrowheads due to it's sharpness.

So what's the current use for it? It seems like Notch made some weird decisions with Gold, Obsidian and Red Stone, they're all somewhat redundant right now, but could be interesting in the future...

Obsidian is useful to block certain things say a river or lava, it takes ages to remove with a diamond pick. Gold is useless in real life but it's pretty. Redstone can be used to make circuits and such.

If you bake cobblestone, it gives you regular stone.

I'm aware. What I wasn't aware of was the formulae for clay -> bricks. I kept throwing away the base element of the chain because I thought it was an oddly graphic'd graphite stack. Godsdamnit.

Kingz. . .what texture pack are you using? It looks similar to. . .Dookuz? Whatever his name is' RPG texture pack, but it also seems to be finished, unlike his.

It is some hodge podge of that one and the painterly pack that some dude on some message board made. I am not too excited about it. I think I will try making some of my own.

Kingz, you should make one of those permanent fires, it's the only thing missing.

Kingz, you should make one of those permanent fires, it's the only thing missing.

You know, I was thinking about that. I don't think it would catch. Not enough wood. My permanent fire moment happened with the lava buckets. It was fairly permanent. I wish I had a wooden castle to burn. Maybe I will make one of those, just so that I can build a good fireplace.

Oh, actually, wood would be a great material to build scaffolding out of. I've been using mud, but mud you have to dig out. Wood you can just light on fire.

What software are these dudes using for the screencasting, does anyone have any idea?

Remember that fire can travel as far as three blocks, if you ever decide to build a fireplace in a wooden cabin. :shifty:

Kingz, I heard Fraps is an excellent program to record gameplay footage (PC).

I actually lol'ed.

Maybe I should give mincraft another try. Played it for a while last weekend, but couldn't actually figure out what to do.

I'm beginning to find this all horribly addictive. I'm a little sad that you can't invite other players into your own instance and show them around, a la Animal Crossing. That would be amazing...

Remember that fire can travel as far as three blocks, if you ever decide to build a fireplace in a wooden cabin. :shifty:

Kingz, I heard Fraps is an excellent program to record gameplay footage (PC).

Fraps has been the defacto go to thing for ever. I don't think it allows you to narrate realtime, tho. Besides, I don't feel like paying 40 bucks for the full version. Something free would be nice.

Also, I don't know if the fire traveled three blocks, I think the dude made the floor of the fireplace out of wood.

Fraps has been the defacto go to thing for ever. I don't think it allows you to narrate realtime, tho. Besides, I don't feel like paying 40 bucks for the full version. Something free would be nice.

Also, I don't know if the fire traveled three blocks, I think the dude made the floor of the fireplace out of wood.

It does.

Obsidian is useful to block certain things say a river or lava, it takes ages to remove with a diamond pick. Gold is useless in real life but it's pretty. Redstone can be used to make circuits and such.

You can just use normal stone for blocking stuff, or buckets alternatively (if you can get to the source block.) Gold is useless in a practical sense but in the real world it can be sold, so it has a value. And those circuits are just about useless, anything that could be created with them could be done much more easily without it.

I'm slowly getting addicted as well. It's kind of a travesty that there isn't a Thumb server yet. I mean,

at what GWJ has done on theirs. We can't be outdone like this, can we?

Btw: Why aren't my botanical garden trees growing? I have a glass ceiling so they get sunlight, but is it just that it's too low under the ceiling? (5 or so squares), or do they need water too?

I tried setting up a server, but every time someone connects, the computer reboots.

You can just use normal stone for blocking stuff, or buckets alternatively (if you can get to the source block.) Gold is useless in a practical sense but in the real world it can be sold, so it has a value. And those circuits are just about useless, anything that could be created with them could be done much more easily without it.

You can but Obsidian takes a considerable time to remove with a diamond pickaxe, unlike stone which barely takes a second. On the server I played on someone griefed a building by filling it with obsidian, I helped remove some of it, which took ages. Again the game is in very early stages so not everything will have it's full potential yet. Also you are very wrong about redstone http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Redstone_circuits.

The GWJ servers is definitely impressive but I'm turned off by the item giving in servers. I think a true spectacle would be built cheat-lessly.

After calming down a bit, I returned to the game and started a proper mining operation with stairs everywhere. After a while, though, fucking lava came up through my hole. Does this mean I've reached the bottom of the world, and can start making sweet lava shit?

Also, as long as I keep plenty of torches around my cave, and keep the doors closed, no monsters can come, right?

Damn I suck at this game.

I can't figure out the logic behind crafting.

Also my computer sucks at creating a world, always takes me ages to find some coal.

The wiki for minecraft is almost a must as far as crafting goes.

Also, I've had the most luck finding coal around cliffs or not too far underground.

I too am hopelessly addicted to minecraft.

I've been mostly busy on one of the shack servers. But I've also been busy in singleplayer.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/8326218/1minecraft?h=ad28a7

These screenshots are from my monster mine of doooom and it's far from finished. Since picks wear out a bit to fast, progress has been slow lately :/

I too am hopelessly addicted to minecraft.

I've been mostly busy on one of the shack servers. But I've also been busy in singleplayer.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/8326218/1minecraft?h=ad28a7

These screenshots are from my monster mine of doooom and it's far from finished. Since picks wear out a bit to fast, progress has been slow lately :/

Dropbox oops.

The wiki for minecraft is almost a must as far as crafting goes.

The wiki sometimes has weird information in it. A host of facts still refers to some old builds of the game.

So for example, what's up with the mine carts in multiplayer? I stumbled upon this cart on your server that was just sitting at a weird corner by a cliffside. I hit it and it pooped out a little collectable cart icon (which I couldn't pick up), and then proceeded to spaz out forever without disappearing. I dug out the part of the cliff around it and it stayed in mid air forever, flipping out. At one point I even got stuck in it somehow and was shaken for ten, fifteen seconds until I got lose. I take it they don't quite function yet?

They need a more comprehensive FAQ, or something that describes relatively accurately the state of the game and what is still busted. Considering there is a dude on board who does support now, that may be coming up.