Sign in to follow this  
Jake

The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 4: Super Expert Pro

Idle Thumbs Forum Exclusive Message

Super Expert Pro

In a daring escape accompanied by expert commentary, The Idle Thumbs Podcast crew managed to narrowly evade being overrun by a rampaging army of BigDogs flying the Sony flag, aided only by a pneumatic rifle and a an infinite supply of parachutes. Video games.

Games Discussed: Metro 2033, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, Just Cause 2, Shatter, Chime, CPU Bach, Shadow and the Colossus 2: Everything's Windmills Everywhere (In Hell).

Consoles Discussed: Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Autodesk 3ds Max 4

minipod_itunes.png

minipod_rss.png

Sweet! Just Cause 2 discussion! Excited! Somehow I've already put more than 5 hours into that game, with homework kicking my ass and everything. I don't understand...

oh man....its 2am and i just noticed this on itunes. Should I go to bed and listen to it while I run tomorrow? Or just listen to it now? Decisions....

Woah, I just started listening, and on doing so I realized that I had previously thought the name of the podcast had changed (again), and that this must have been a dream. I remember having felt slightly disappointed that you guys couldn't make your minds about it. I have the most mundane dreams.

One time I dreamt about borrowing a friend's socks.

Edited by JamesM

Wikipedia Notability selective enforcement is bullshit, it's true.

I may have been convinced to pick up Metro 2033.

I played the crap out of Chime while listening to this episode, so it was cool to hear your take on it while it was being played. I too was consumed by Lumines and Meteos... I find that I'm actually better at those type of games when I'm not really focused on the action. Some of my craziest combos in Tetris Attack/Puzzle League have been made while debating the meaning of life or some crap with someone sitting behind me. Thanks for the new high scores!

Wow, what an angry Wikipedia finish!

Reminds me of a comment that a friend had about the 'cast now that Breedon is sealed inside the Reader Mail vault, that the 'cast has a little more snark and edge now that Steve is settling into his dynamic with Jake. Can't say I disagree, but I'm kind of into the saucyCast, so roll with it!

Jake "Silence" Rodkin?! I dunno... "Video Games" is pretty memorable.

I've barely heard any Metro 2033 talk anywhere else. Looking forward to listening to it later.

The BigDog spoof:

VXJZVZFRFJc

I can now no longer watch the real bigdog without seeing those two dudes.

Saving it for Saturday and my 3 to 4 hour train journey, perfect timing.

Chris I think you would enjoy Sean 'Day[9]' Plott's daily show where he goes through, comments and reflect on replays of top SC and SC2 players: http://www.livestream.com/striderdoom +he's the little brother of Nick 'Tasteless' Plott, the commentator at GOMtv.

Thank you Jake for reminding me of Big Dog. Now I won't get any sleep tonight.

Regarding the SC2 matchmaking system Chris mentioned, I really like how it works too. I'm in the bronze league right now, and I never really feel like I was totally out of my league or totally dominant. SF4 had a system like this after their content patch, basicly setting milestones in skill points used for matchmaking, so I wonder if they were the first. It's a great trend in matchmaking.

Amazing! Gaynor likes Orbital, winrar!

Now I'm interested in this Chime game seeing that it has Hartnoll solo tracks (I think Orbital splitting in two made me realize he was probably making most of the hooks I liked) and Lemon Jelly... or one half of Lemon Jelly.

Speedsuit

Would such a suit afford one a speed boost? Could the suit therefore accurately be described a "boost suit"? Would this be amusing, or am I reaching pathetically?

No Far Cry 2 tangents? Chris, this is disappointing. Where else am I going to get my usual FC2Talk fix?

Big Dog is clearly the precursor to AT-AT walkers. So we're basically fucked when people start using those to take over.

So here's how TF2 healing system works: the ubercharge meter raises faster when you heal an injured teammate, so at first soldiers/demomen would hurt themselves during setup to allow the medic to have the ubercharge ready. After a while, Valve patched this and the ubercharge is accumulated at the same rate whether they're injured or not ONLY during the setup phase. But once the match has begun, soldiers/demomen will hurt themselves in a safe place, so that the medic will have the uber faster.

On the issue about rewarding the player, TF2 has another interesting example. At first, the critical rate was flat, meaning that it was the same chance for everyone to trigger a crit. However, they introduced an algorithm that will analyze how well the player is doing and the more damage he does, the greater is the chance to trigger a critical hit. You can see it as rewarding the player that's doing better or as making the game more uneven since the winning side will have more crits as well.

I would buy the IdleThumbs.net shirt if the price to quality ratio wasn't over a billion.

http://www.cafepress.com/sk/idlethumbs

Do they not sell Wache anymore? I bought that back in the day and wore it to the launch of the Wii in my city. People fucking loved it.

Try your luck here: http://thumbs.spreadshirt.com/

I bought a "The Danger Zone" shirt awhile back, and am wearing it now. It's quite nice.