JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

Mildly on-topic: Stranger's Wrath is the broken. Patters and I are both on the receiving end of approx. 10 FPS at all times. *Sadpanda*
The JAW (the team that did the Stranger port) twitter feed has been fielding complaints all day. They're suggesting making sure that your graphics drivers are up to date and are promising a patch soon. They are accepting bug reports and are doing a pretty good job of keeping people in the loop.

There's a couple of bugs in Munch's Oddysee but no-one is sure what the story is there as it was a different company that did that port.

Oh, and more ontopic: If you didn't know, all Oddworld games are 50% off today and then 25% off until the 3rd of January.

Nice, I haven't even had time to play SMB yet and now they put it out for *free* (3,50 is basically free)

Is super meat boy appropriate for someone who has never played a platformer? I'm tempted by the endless lauding it gets.

For anyone curious, Super Meat Boy is not appropriate for those with no platformer experience. Nor is it appropriate for children, pregnant women, or men particularly prone to tears.

I'll try again with a controller at some point.

Edited by Cult of Jared

I really, really, really want to finally stop futzing about and buy RUSE, but I just know it's going to go on sale like the Silent Hunter games just did, so I want to wait. But I want it now. Nrrrrrrr.

Heh, I bought SHIII for me and my brother so we can play it co-op. Cheap enough to worth the 3 euros and change. Also, Dragon Rising even though it's no true Operation Flashpoint.

Heh, I bought SHIII for me and my brother so we can play it co-op. Cheap enough to worth the 3 euros and change. Also, Dragon Rising even though it's no true Operation Flashpoint.

I would be happy to play with the two of you if you have room for a third person-thing.

Oh, sure, except we've never played it and who knows when we get around to it. If you already know how to play you could teach us.

Oh, sure, except we've never played it and who knows when we get around to it. If you already know how to play you could teach us.

Vaguely! My missions usually end up with a face full of depth charge and a whole lot of sadness. And corpses.

I already picked up super meat boy, and I would have bought titan quest and AC2 if I hadn't played them already. Anyone played the PC version of Darksiders? I've heard lots of good things about it and it's hard to resist for 10 dollars.

So because I'm not going to update my computer until it dies (which may be soon, who knows) I've decided to get das old skoolen with some war gaming and simulation.

To that end I picked up, a while back, IL-2, Men of War and Hearts of Iron III. Thanks to the marvelous soul and wallet-sucking monstrosity that is holiday sales, I've picked up the Theatre of War Collection and Achtung Panzer: Kursk 1943 (though admittedly the later was from Direct2Drive.)

I do believe my holidays will be filled with maniacal cackling and angry German tank commander impressions.

(Also, because it's not bad looking and the metal is mildly hilarious:)

(1:15 is where it gets Rammstein)

Problem with steam copies of Silent Hunter vs. physical, as my brother found out, no cards that tell you what all the damn controls are. These are vital and you'd probably want to print out a list if you're just starting out.

Similar to most console -> PC ports, I've heard that mouse + keyboard controls are a bit wonky for Darksiders. Still, it was one of the best games I've played this year, so I'd definitely recommend it for $10 especially if you have a controller.

Similar to most console -> PC ports, I've heard that mouse + keyboard controls are a bit wonky for Darksiders. Still, it was one of the best games I've played this year, so I'd definitely recommend it for $10 especially if you have a controller.

I think it played just fine with mouse+keyboard. At least the aiming is much better. The only annoying thing is using wrath abilities.

I bought it. I intend to play with my 360 controller plugged into my laptop, which has been excellent for a lot of things.

I also bought darksiders, but I had to download the motionjoy controller drivers so I could use my PS3 controller, because I didn't have a USB 360 controller.

a lot of pc ports seem to prefer a xbox controller though (mappings, onscreen icons, vibration, etc). If you have a xbox, I highly recommend getting a wireless receiver so you can use its controller on your pc. Official microsoft ones are hard to come by, but cheap chinese knockoffs can be found easily and works just as well. Some of them don't come with drivers, so just download it off of microsoft's website.

Oh jesus christ I've tried three different browsers so far in order to make a username in ubi.com. The site is just totally unresponsive. Can't make an account, can't use the forgotten password prompt. The only thing it can do is tell me I'm using the wrong account name or password. Fucking Ubisoft :tdown::tdown:

EDIT:

FFS I even downloaded and installed IE, but turns out it doesn't even work in IE. So ubi.com account creation does not work with any browser. How can that happen? Now I can't play SHIII online because the in-game account creation doesn't work either.

EDIT 2:

They had a webmaster email on the site for feedback regarding the site. I wrote a succinct email describing my problem...

"Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender"

Edited by brkl

For 3 dollars (or whatever euros/pounds/fruitcakes) I cannot recommend Hegemony enough.

The best way I've figured out to describe it is Sins of a Solar Empire in ancient Greece.

And that doesn't begin to cover it.

It currently only has the campaign in which you play Macedon, but sandbox mode is coming in a free update, along with several other things.

OK, I'll buy because of your recommendation.

And I'll play it... someday in the distant future when I'm not being sucked by WoW.

A. . .certain game, might be on sale today.

I've heard things about it. Like grenade physics.

:strangelove:

A. . .certain game, might be on sale today.

I've heard things about it. Like grenade physics.

:strangelove:

I hear stuff rolls down hills in that game.