Erkki

Other podcasts

I try to keep it real and working class for everyone. Remind me to tell you about the time I cleaned up semen.

I've been listening to Polygon's Minimap this week, a daily podcast that summarizes the major headlines of the day.  Since Joystiq ended, I haven't had a steady source of gaming news, so this is really nice to just be able to listen to.  I don't find Polygon's site or news feed to be that conducive to just catching up on major things, but this works. 

EpicNameBro has also recently launched a podcast, the Poison Arrow.  I really enjoy listing to ENB talk about Soulsborne games, and so far him having a general podcast seems like a decent idea. 

I'm listening to the most recent episode of Radar Radio + today.  Apparently GamesRadar is where Ludwig ended up after Joystiq.  Susan Arendt is on as a special guest, so it's almost like a reunion of the final incarnation of the Joystiq podcast.  I'm also quite enjoying it there's good chemistry amongst the hosts and the overall conversation has been interesting.  I'm not familiar with the other two hosts, Sophia Tong and Ashley Reed.  But I could see this entering my regular rotation. 

ENB has such a soothing, friendly voice! Gosh I could listen to him talk about anything for the whole day. I think I'm in love. *swoon*

The lady and I also both agree he has a very pleasing voice!

I figured this would be of particular interest to Idle Thumbs fans. I host a radio show/podcast called Checkpoints. Each week, a guest on the show talks about the games that have shaped their life in one way or another. Games that have inspired them, games that forged connections with others and games that have soothed wounds. Checkpoints!

​My guest in the latest episode is Idle Thumbs own Sean Vanaman. It's a great talk, I was thrilled to have Sean on. You can listen here: RSS  iTunes  Web

I hope you enjoy it!

I figured this would be of particular interest to Idle Thumbs fans. I host a radio show/podcast called Checkpoints. Each week, a guest on the show talks about the games that have shaped their life in one way or another. Games that have inspired them, games that forged connections with others and games that have soothed wounds. Checkpoints!

​My guest in the latest episode is Idle Thumbs own Sean Vanaman. It's a great talk, I was thrilled to have Sean on. You can listen here: RSS  iTunes  Web

I hope you enjoy it!

This was delightful!

Listening now! I love the subtle "Congrats Nick" Sean gives by not mentioning that Nick was one of the founders of the podcast.

I was looking for more of Laura K Buzz's podcasts after deciding that she's probably the best Podquisition member.

Instead of finding any of those I randomly decided to look up Justice Points after remembering that the Thumbs mentioned it as a similar cast that still talks about video games. It's a good listen, I don't know if I'll be regular with it since that's pretty dependant on how much Path of Exile I play a week but its good.

I'm still really happy that people said such nice things about JP on Idle Thumbs. Idle Thumbs comes across as so much of a "bigger" podcast in terms of production and audience so them saying something nice about a tiny little project I do just kinda knocks me over. Then again everyone on Idle Thumbs seems like really nice people so I'm not surprised.

Edit: I listened to Checkpoints and jeez, I loved the kind of open-ended banter on that show. Very crisp audio production, very nice work. 

Thanks so much for listening! I was really pleased with it. I've now also checked out the Justice Points podcast and it's incredibly refreshing to hear different voices on a gaming podcast. Great stuff. 

I know Sean is what brings everyone to the party but I'd really encourage folk to listen to some of the others too. Particularly the ones with Kirsten Kearney and Simon Parkin. I'm not choosing favourites because they're all good, but both of those have so far felt the most like what the show was in my head. i.e. personal stories that become inextricably linked to the games people were playing at the moment. Kirsten met her husband in a Rainbow Six game!

Simon Parkin is a very cool, annoyingly intelligent dude. I'll have to check it out!

I've been working my way through Justice Point's after hearing Apple Cider on The Heroine's Journey a little while back, enjoying my journey back to the days of MoP so far :D I had no idea you guys started out focused on the ladies of azeroth when i began listening so it was actually a kinda nice surprise for me since i'm a long time wow player (just finished the lady Vashji episode).

Looking at the feed it's impressive how you managed to keep on throwing out so many shows. It should be interesting seeing how your style evolves as shows go on. also it was sorta funny to me how different your audio quality was in some early JP episodes compared to your apperance on HJ but as i'm finding out atm a lot of that stuff comes from more practice and better equipment :D

I know Sean is what brings everyone to the party but I'd really encourage folk to listen to some of the others too. Particularly the ones with Kirsten Kearney and Simon Parkin. I'm not choosing favourites because they're all good, but both of those have so far felt the most like what the show was in my head. i.e. personal stories that become inextricably linked to the games people were playing at the moment. Kirsten met her husband in a Rainbow Six game!

That's cool I'll go check it out. It's been an interesting time finding friendships that end up growing over the games they were forged in.

Actually thinking about it your premise sounds similar to the delightful podcast Strangers by Lea Thau which is all about people coming onto the show and talking about strong personal connections forged in their lives.

If anyone's thinking of giving that cast a listen I highly recommend the episode 'Unconditional' which is about a reformed career criminal trying to understand and connect with the mother she never knew. It was pretty emotional but just so powerful. Not all of the stories are semi harrowing sad but cathartic stories though, plenty are light-hearted and touching in different ways.

I've been working my way through Justice Point's after hearing Apple Cider on The Heroine's Journey a little while back, enjoying my journey back to the days of MoP so far :D I had no idea you guys started out focused on the ladies of azeroth when i began listening so it was actually a kinda nice surprise for me since i'm a long time wow player (just finished the lady Vashji episode).

Looking at the feed it's impressive how you managed to keep on throwing out so many shows. It should be interesting seeing how your style evolves as shows go on. also it was sorta funny to me how different your audio quality was in some early JP episodes compared to your apperance on HJ but as i'm finding out atm a lot of that stuff comes from more practice and better equipment :D

Oh yeah, we recorded the first episodes of JP on very old mics or headsets, using Mumble's in-house recording feature. It's mono track audio of both of us and prone to dropping packets, hence why a lot of it sounds very garbled! 

We both now having professional recording mics with pop filters and I also have studio monitor headphones, etc. I also have everyone record local audio and I mix it all together. 

I stumbled across the axe of the blood god which is Kat Bailey's current RPG podcast on US gamer. Listening to it I realised how much I missed her and Jason Wilson talking about RPGs.

Anyone got a classical music podcast to recommend?

I gave Sawbones a try and while I really like the format of the show, a lot of the banter and some of the offhand comments about gender or sex really kinda rub me the wrong way. Also I think I just also don't like any McElroys. 

I gave Sawbones a try and while I really like the format of the show, a lot of the banter and some of the offhand comments about gender or sex really kinda rub me the wrong way. Also I think I just also don't like any McElroys. 

Yeah, that's maybe the biggest stumbling block for My Brother, My Brother, and Me, even though I'm somehow a regular listener. I get the distinct impression that the McElroys don't say as many ableist or sexist things now because they've been taught through experience that they shouldn't say them anymore, not because they aren't thinking them anymore. It doesn't usually bother me, but there are still moments when Travis or Justin will say something awful and then the other two brothers will make them walk it back.

Yeah, that's maybe the biggest stumbling block for My Brother, My Brother, and Me, even though I'm somehow a regular listener. I get the distinct impression that the McElroys don't say as many ableist or sexist things now because they've been taught through experience that they shouldn't say them anymore, not because they aren't thinking them anymore. It doesn't usually bother me, but there are still moments when Travis or Justin will say something awful and then the other two brothers will make them walk it back.

I adore the McElroys, and really like Sydnee but am totally unmoved by Sawbones. I liked the Freaky Friday episode last week with Rileigh, but enjoyed their old TV podcasts (The Satellite Dish  & Losing the Sheen) way more.

The Adventure Zone is the best of the McElroy shows though.

MBMBAM got old for me after awhile, but I don't remember it having content that bugged me, just the schtick wore thin.  Are they still treating it as an advice show, or did they ever move on to something else?  If it's still an advice show...eh, I honestly cannot think of an advice columnist or podcast host who does not say something shitty on a semi-regular basis.  I suspect when primarily commenting on other people's lives, particularly their love lives, the opportunities to say dumb shit are ever present. 

That doesn't excuse it, but if someone knows of a long running example of someone who doesn't end up doing that I'd be interested (I have a not so secret obsession with advice columnists and shows).

MBMBAM got old for me after awhile, but I don't remember it having content that bugged me, just the schtick wore thin.  Are they still treating it as an advice show, or did they ever move on to something else?  

Yeah, they're still doing fake advice. 

Well I never really listened to more than half an episode of MBMBaM but on Sawbones there was just a bit of weirdness over how overly careful he was handling the idea of discussing hysteria in one episode. It was really offputting because it really felt like "This is the episode for the women so I should make sure not to offend the women."

It was from a sincere place of wanting to be progressive but it just had such an adverse effect and I feel like he has the same lack of critical filter I talked about in the Giant Bomb thread recently.

MBMBAM got old for me after awhile, but I don't remember it having content that bugged me, just the schtick wore thin.  Are they still treating it as an advice show, or did they ever move on to something else?  If it's still an advice show...eh, I honestly cannot think of an advice columnist or podcast host who does not say something shitty on a semi-regular basis.  I suspect when primarily commenting on other people's lives, particularly their love lives, the opportunities to say dumb shit are ever present.

Eh, the most recent example for me was a question about helping a guy who doesn't earn very much feel better about not contributing much financially to his relationship with his successful wife. All three McElroys got stuck for an uncomfortably long time up a blind alley about how he shouldn't feel emasculated by female power and how he shouldn't feel obligated to provide for his wife so that she can sit at home and do nothing, neither of which were even close to the question actually being asked. It just felt really awkward for me to listen to them each independently reinterpreting his perfectly normal worry ("I feel bad about not pulling my weight with our bank account, what do I do?") to something misogynistic on which they could pontificate clumsily ("Women earning lots of money is a good thing, you're just an insecure jerk."). And that's not when they accidentally say something transphobic right out, of which I'm much more understanding (although I don't exactly thrill in it).

I don't think MBMBaM is actually a good advice show. I would be shocked if anyone did think that. It doesn't seem like they're actually interested in giving good advice, which I'm all in favor of. I can't understand why anyone would write into them for any reason other to hear their joke answers.