Erkki

Other podcasts

Funny, i just heard about that too and was going to post something about it.

I backed it, but I'm kind of disappointed Chris Kohler isn't involved.

I backed it, but I'm kind of disappointed Chris Kohler isn't involved.

Yeah I feel the same way. Back when I first discovered Retronauts, he was half the reason I loved it. The other half was Jeremy Parish (who allegedly hated doing it or something, I dunno, but clearly he actually didn't, 'cause he's still here for this one!). They had a really nice dynamic, and they're both insanely knowledgeable on the topic of Old Video Games. And I goddamn loved Retronauts; I might've put it at the top of my list for a time! Then they stopped. Then it came back and was like... "live"! Oh. Ehhh.

I'm definitely more interested in this than the dumb live thing, but it's missing half of the reason I loved it so much in the first place. Granted, I don't know Ray Barnholdt or Bob Mackey. They could be good! I assume they must've been on the live episodes before that died, but I have literally zero desire to go listen to those. Someone assuage my concerns by telling me Ray and Bob are cool dudes!

EDIT: I'm dumb. Ray's been on the Geekbox a lot, pimping his classic video game magazine thing. He's cool! THAT LEAVES BOB.

Fuck it I backed it. I hate thank you segments on the episodes, though. I wonder if I can request a special feed that has none of that. ):

Then it came back and was like... "live"! Oh. Ehhh.

All said and done, the call-in format barely changed the show, and it gradually shifted back to the original show format anyways.

I think it was still really good in the last couple years, and Mackey was a capable host, I don't think you should have dismissed it so easily.

As for Kohler, I be surprised if he didn't show up. I mean, he was technically always a guest host, wasn't he?

Bob Mackey hosted the show after Parish left it. He's the Mike Nelson to Parish's Joel Hodgson. I think he did a good job considering that he had far more limited resources to work with, since that was right around the time that everyone at 1up got laid off and everyone else had too much to do. He managed to get some good guests in, too, with the best being Victor Ireland solely for one amazing bit of comedic timing.

Also, I think they realized that the live call-ins were a bad idea, especially after the Sonic the Hedgehog episode.

Admittedly it would be pretty sweet if they could get at least one or two guest appearances from some of the old recurring guests like Chris Kohler, Scott Sharkey, or Jenn Frank.

I never realized that Jenn was the voice from Super Hexagon because I don't recognize her in situations where she doesn't sound like she's had a few drinks and is going off about "releasing the balls of monster."

I don't think you should have dismissed it so easily.

I gave it like twenty episodes. I wouldn't call that "easily". It was horrific. I hated it. It had nothing to do with the hosts. Just the format.

Moot point, anyway! Like I said, I backed it. Yayyy.

Man, that new ALWW episode is some incredible stuff. The way they produce that podcast, with the super surreal music and everything, reminds me of Waking Life, except it's real people telling real stories. Crazy business.

I am wavering on RadioLab, as it really feels like a science program for people who don't like science very much. Might try Dr. Karl again and see if it clicks this time.

I'd love a recommendation for a good comedy podcast; my tastes for audio tend more towards British humour than American, particularly absurdist humour and wordplay.

the bugle.

Not sure if they'd really be your thing, but I love the hell out of My Brother, My Brother, and Me. Also comedy bang bang.

I bounced right off The Bugle last time I listened to it, but I'll try the other two. The Bugle appears to have a new logo, perhaps other things have changed in the few years since I last tried it.

I am wavering on RadioLab, as it really feels like a science program for people who don't like science very much. Might try Dr. Karl again and see if it clicks this time.

Man, that recent episode of RadioLab, the "Are You Sure?" one, was so incredibly bad. After that super mundane story about some dude waffling about his marriage and his belief in God, they drop a completely uncritical Pascal's Wager explanation, without elaborating on it at all, before moving onto the next story. Ugh.

I bounced right off The Bugle last time I listened to it, but I'll try the other two. The Bugle appears to have a new logo, perhaps other things have changed in the few years since I last tried it.

the bugle has not really changed, but that really is the most british thing ever. CBB can be hit or miss but has mostly been great lately.

I've been listening to Welcome to Night Vale recently. It's tiny snippets of horror presented as community radio for a fictional desert town, and it's really funny:

The City Council announces the opening of a new dog park at the corner of Earl and Sommerset, near the Ralph's. They would like to remind everyone that dogs are not allowed in the dog parkPeople are not allowed in the dog park. It is possible you will see hooded figures in the dog park. Do not approach them. Do not approach the dog park. The fence is electrified and highly dangerous. Try not to look at the dog park, and especially do not look for any period of time at the hooded figures. The dog park will not harm you.

I've been listening to Welcome to Night Vale recently. It's tiny snippets of horror presented as community radio for a fictional desert town, and it's really funny:

I started listening to that recently and I am really enjoying. My only wish is that there was more that 2 episodes a month

Man, that recent episode of RadioLab, the "Are You Sure?" one, was so incredibly bad. After that super mundane story about some dude waffling about his marriage and his belief in God, they drop a completely uncritical Pascal's Wager explanation, without elaborating on it at all, before moving onto the next story. Ugh.

They are a lot like This American Life in that sometimes they just don't have anything good content wise and it shows. When they have a good theme though they nail it.

I used to like radio lab more. It seems to have become more forced the longer they've done it. The first minute of "are you sure?" just makes me want quit listening. They're trying hard with the editing and all I can think of is how hard they're trying. Not to mention the banter between the hosts is infuriating, on a recent episode Kraulwhich(?) could not stop giggling like a five year old. Horrible.

Doesn't This American Life go every week, while RadioLab goes every month, though?

I may have said it before, but I will say it again: http://thememorypalace.us/

Basically a short form history podcast. Each episode is maybe 6-7 minutes tops, and it comes out monthly, so it's easy to catch up on. The production seems a little inspired by Radiolab, to me.

Some good starter episodes:

Episode 46: After Party

http://thememorypalace.us/2012/09/after-party/

Clearing up some misconceptions about the Donner Party. This one's a little longer than average.

Episode 18: Dig Set Spike

http://thememorypalace.us/2009/08/episode-18-dig-set-spike/

This one's about Nazis and Volleyball. I dare you not to listen now.

Just started listening to this based on your recommendation, and it's amazing. The voice-work in the pilot is a little patchy, but it's fine from the next episode onward.

"The Boy Scouts of Night Vale have announced some slight changes to their hierarchy, which will now be the following: Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Eagle Scout, Blood Pact Scout, Weird Scout, Dreadnought Scout, Dark Scout, Fear Scout, and finally, Eternal Scout."

Delectable. Thanks!

I really really like it. Thanks a lot!

Bounced right off The Bugle again but both Comedy Bang Bang and My Brother, My Brother and Me are working for me, so thanks for that.