gdf

Recently completed video games

I played Syndicate on the 360 a few months ago. The game is absolutely gorgeous even on the 360. I liked how the shooting felt and the speed of movement. 

Persona 4 Golden (Vita) - First JRPG I've ever completed, that. They really solved every problem I've ever had with them before, making it very accessible, and chucked in some great characters, dialogue, music, plot and combat system while they were at it. I got stuck at one boss about three or four dungeons in and thought this might end up being another I'd never see the end of but unless you make a total arse of absolutely everything I don't think it's ever that difficult to find a way to progress. That boss was also the one time I had to look up a tactic on the internet as well which I'm surprised about because as I got into my stride with levelling and fusing and so on it became more apparent that I could've used my first few months more wisely but it doesn't punish you for that thankfully. So good! I have no idea what to do now. I might even watch that animation.

I played "Touch My Katamari" the Vita Katamari game and boy.. Namco made this game almost Zynga-ish...

It only has ten levels and the grand finale was a letdown and you have to "pay" for the extra ten levels in a very Facebook fashion, you can either grind for the currency or buy them directly and obviously they made it tedious to grind for them. They even "penalize" you if you don't play daily. :|

The good part? The King of the Cosmos face looks creeptacular and the voices and faces he makes when you perform bad or well are just perfect.

Does anybody think it would be fun to be a Katamari level desinger? "Let's make that cat dance on a sumo wrestler!".

I beat Bioshock infinite twice over the last few days. I'm starting to participate in the general discussion thread here (as I think there's lots of cool stuff to talk about in that game). But I figured I would post it in here as well in broad strokes. I really loved that game a lot. It's the most "fun" I've had playing a big AAA game in a long time. However something odd did happen as I was playing through. A few times I felt almost guilty for enjoying it as much as I did. It's like I was betraying some kind of ethic for the player focused choice heavy games I am normally much more into. 

Really I feel like it was nice for me for a lot of the reasons that lots of other people are complaining about it. I enjoyed how it was a traditional explosion heavy set piece first person shooter. After years of largely writing off that sort of game it was really nice to sit down and realize "oh I can still REALLY enjoy games like this".

I completed God of War Ascension a few weeks back, kind of a slow start but by the time the credits rolled :tup:

The way the levelling up works means you don’t really get to have any fun until about the half way mark when you start unlocking magic. There are disposable side weapons this time round which are a fun little distraction, but 90% of the time you will be using the good old blades of chainy death.

Kratos is a very angry man yet again, but this time I feel deservedly so. 3 nasty witches are toying with him and the memories of his dead family.

The puzzles are pretty good, there are 3 or 4 real head scratchers. I was actually surprised at how difficult they were and that they didn’t supply any hints (but I suppose in this day and age you can just jump on youtube to figure them out) (Actually a friend of mine quit GoW1 because he got stuck on a puzzle)

The menu screen is utterly stupid, I didn’t even realise it was a ‘menu’ until about half way through the game. If ‘The Multiplayer mode cannot be found on the Main Menu.’ Is a Frequently asked question you’ve obviously done a piss poor job of creating a menu

But all in all well worth a play :tup::)post-27841-0-10768600-1365165720.gif

One little thing I noticed is after Kratos dismembers one of the witches, chopping off an arm. No one bats an eyelid… it’s never addressed. Not even a little ‘I’ll get you for this’.

Now if someone chopped my arm off, I’d be pretty miffed. But imagine being an immortal, having lived since the beginning of creation, then one day some little scamp comes along and chops off your arm, how annoyed would you be knowing that you now have to live out the rest of eternity missing an appendage!

Not even a mention :blink:

Evoland :tmeh:

"Evoland is a journey through the history of action/adventure gaming"... that's the media blurb. And it sort of does that, although mostly the jRPG history. It's an ok game, about 3 hours worth of gameplay. As I said, it's mostly jRPG, so there is a lot of random encounters, and somewhat grinding in the fighting.

My main issue with the game is that rather than having a journey through the history you pretty much reach the final stage of gameplay at 33% of the game. After that there are a few minor graphical improvements that do not really change much to the game. And at about 66% of the game they introduce a time traveling concept when you switch between 3D world and 2D world, but it also influences some world elements like trees that haven't grown. It would have been better if they slowed down the journey through history, gameplay wise, for 75% of the game and explore the various stages of history a bit more.

Unmechanical :tmeh:

A (rather) short platform physics game. The game mechanics are quite ok. There is some kind of story going on, but it's not quite clear. The puzzles aren't really complicated, there are a few were timing is important. Overall the game is quite ok, it's just on the short side, I finished it in 2 hours.

I just got the "real" ending to 999....

Ha! I kind of preferred the penultimate ending in all honesty but it was very well done regardless. You'll appreciate how well VLR improves on the formula too now as it basically does the same thing, only bigger and better and without you having to do some of the same puzzles three or four times which were the biggest complaints I had with 999.

I just finished Bioshock Infinite and didn't really like it. I had and still have read nothing about the game and don't really want to so am unsure what the general consensus is but for me it was a phenomenal three hours followed by an increasing tedious seven more. Had they replaced difficulty settings with an option to set the volume of combat one wanted to experience I would've preferred it hugely but then I don't play FPSes beyond this series so what the hell do I know, maybe people are into this.

Just went through To The Moon.

Recommended, although it's probably one of those games that should just be played instead of being talked about.

It's beautiful.

I've crafted all the singleplayer stars in Heart of the Swarm.   :tmeh:

I would really have loved for someone to have commented on Kerrigan's chitinous hooker boots, if only to have her reply: "Whatever! I used to by a elite psychic ninja sniper and now I'm a god slaying planet eating bug queen who can fly... in SPACE! I'll have whatever impractical feet I like, ASS." 

Also, you can really tell that the Design Lead from Dawn of War II was a lead on HOTS.

I just got the REAL real ending of Virtue's Last Reward and.... I think I liked 999 better. I'll have to re-open the specific thread to talk about it because, I don't want this to turn into a VLR discussion, that's what the other thread is for...

Just beat Stacking: The Lost Hobo King! :tup:

Beat the main adventure a while ago, but never to 100% completion. The Lost Hobo King was short enough that completion was actually attainable, though I am an adventure game baby who needs walkthroughs for the more obscure solutions.

I like how even in a game where the main campaign is already completely willing to get silly, the mini-expansion is still the avenue for even crazier stories and over-the-top stylization. I also enjoyed how so many puzzles in S:TLHK added some new tweak to the way you control or otherwise use characters (carrying objects, basic verticality, timing, combining powers, VISCERAL COMBAT, hunting for clues). It was a good direction to go in, since by the end of the main adventure I was feeling a little bit of the repetition of "try every doll -- use ability on obstacle". I'm glad the expansion was short and densely packed with new interactions, so I don't wish it was longer -- I just wish they'd kept making more of them. =P

I finally got around to playing Bioshock 2 this weekend. I liked it, even if it dragged at parts. They did a really good job obsucring the story of the game. I can usually predict where these games are heading, but they had me lost (which is a good thing.) What really ended up annoying me was how long the "hurry sequence" at the end was. If you're going to have voice in my ear every few minutes telling you about how something is exploding and if you don't hurry it's going to be too late, you better make sure that you keep the game moving along at a fast pace. Once I got into the second hour of someone yelling at me that we've got to get out now!!!1111, I was more annoyed than stressed.

At first, Minerva's Den didn't seem as special to me as others have made it seem. I think I might have done myself a diservice playing it immediately after the core game. About 3/4ths of the way through, I realized that what made it special is that it had all the same weapons and plasmids, crammed into a game that was 1/3 as long, meaning you get a new toy around every corner. Add to that the focus on the core storyline to the exclusion of most everything else going wrong on Rapture, along with some memorable characters, and you have a winning formula.

I beat the first "mode" of super hexagon while waiting for a train the other day. I just felt the need to tell someone about that...

I beat the first "mode" of super hexagon while waiting for a train the other day. I just felt the need to tell someone about that...

Cool, now beat Hyper Hexagon.

(But seriously, you deserve a pat on the back!)

60 seconds is the "win" state, although it never actually ends.

Hyper Hexagon is some kind of cruel joke. I am working on hexagoner now. About 32 seconds in at my best. Super Hexagon is an awesome game to sort of just make time completely disappear. I'm not sure if that's a criticism or a compliment... 

I just recently completed Assassins Creed 3. Was quite disappointed by the ending, specifically the Desmond timeline, I was alright with how things wrapped up for Connor and the homestead and all that though.

I'll still probably be getting Black Flag though, just because I love naval combat. I really wonder what they're going to do with the whole future timeline though.

I've managed 60 seconds on Hexagon and Hexagoner, but can't beat 30 on Hexagonest. Hyper Hexagon, I can get to about 20 seconds? Anyway, yeah, it's an amazing game. Although the most crushing disappointment isn't losing. Rather, it's the music STOPPING when you lose. Damn those are some sick beats.

In actualy game-beating news: Just finished up Resonance. It's a click-'em-up published by those of Blackwell fame, Wadjet Eye. It wasn't bad, although goddamn, old-school click-'em-ups can be fucking annoying. This game amplifies it by suddenly throwing FOUR CHARACTERS AT ONCE in your face to control at your whim, with like fifteen thousand different goals. Okay, it's not that bad. More like three goals. But, well. So much. SO MUCH.

Prior to that, I beat Gemini Rue, which was beautiful. Mm-mmm. Much better puzzle-wise, and at the very least, I love me some noir-ish and some space-sci-fi-ish, so I definitely preferred it to Resonance, which only had crazy near-future terrorism combined with wacky Big Brother To The Extreme Is Comingggg!!!.

The Blackwell series is much better than either of those games, though. Maybe doesn't start as strong, but gets better by the most recent game. Can't wait for the next one. X:

i bought the splatters when it was dirt cheap several months back, the game melted my fucking brain

I kind of see it as a combination of Trials HD, Lumines and Tony Hawks.

Really like the idea and the later challenges are pretty awesome to achieve.