gdf

Life

Are you guys happy with yourself for that?

If I were you i'd be disgusted.

That 4D cube is pretty impressive.

Lol. This should be in the "No life" thread.

I kid!

You should be in the don't-fuck-with-Toblix-because-I-have-a-man-crush-on-him-and-I'm-sure-I'm-not-the-only-one thread Everything Toblix says is both brilliant and absolutely correct.

Also: As per my drinking, I've limited myself to a couple times a month and only on nights where there's nothing important happening during or after. I drink a little more than I used to on the nights when I do drink because it's like a special occasion.

(I'm drunk right now)

(it was really hard typing that thing with all the hyphens in this post).

Man, what if your penis was a rotating 4D cube.

A hyperwang? A 4-todger? That's what you get for sticking your business into four-dimensional space. A... uh... tesserpeos? Sorry, I don't really know how to invent words from classical etymological roots.

Holy shit Miffy, Congratulations!

If you're ever near the airport on the 29th of July between 3-5pm I'll buy you a drink! lol yeah, that's right those are the conditions :shifty:

Good job, Miffy! Congratulations to the max. :)

Congratulations Miffy! That's a major achievement you can hold on to for the rest of your life. Good work.

Sorry to derail this into despair, but I've got pretty major issues with "Life".

So, I was meant to move in with a friend for the third year of University in a privately owned flat/halls, for the convenience of location (For the last 2 years I've travelled from home due to money issues being far too high). However, I hit a minefield, again.

Because I'm a 4th year Uni student going into third year (Had to drop out in first due to illness), I'm receiving less money this year. My fear is that if I move out, I'll BARELY be able to manage it. I mean, I'll maybe JUST ABOUT have enough money to get by, but when I spoke to a buddy abuot it today, he said that's probably not the best idea. If I'm broke, that leads to stress, which leads to a poor work output. Not ideal for my final year project, naturally.

I'm sure I can get out of my flat contract if I phone them, losing only my deposit, however, I'm feeling incredibly shitty about my friend. We were excited to be moving in together, and now I might have to pull out simply because I can't afford it with the money I'm getting this year. It means I'd have to travel in from home, but that's only an hour a day on a train, and I'd save a metric ton of money.

If I did pull out, she wouldn't lose her flat or whatever, it's privately owned halls, it'd all still be fine. The issue I'm wrestling with is kind of...moral I guess, I feel bad about pulling out on her, we both really were looking forward to this, but as mentioned, with the most minimal financial backing, I just don't think I can make it.

What do you guys think? Any thoughts appreciated.

I have no idea Sombre, that sounds like a shitty situation. Have you avoided a student loan so far? That's what I managed by staying at home for first year but I might need to get one for going to Sweden depending on the cost of accommodation.

Also, Miffy, mega congrats, that's rad!

Sorry to derail this into despair, but I've got pretty major issues with "Life".

So, I was meant to move in with a friend for the third year of University in a privately owned flat/halls, for the convenience of location (For the last 2 years I've travelled from home due to money issues being far too high). However, I hit a minefield, again.

Because I'm a 4th year Uni student going into third year (Had to drop out in first due to illness), I'm receiving less money this year. My fear is that if I move out, I'll BARELY be able to manage it. I mean, I'll maybe JUST ABOUT have enough money to get by, but when I spoke to a buddy abuot it today, he said that's probably not the best idea. If I'm broke, that leads to stress, which leads to a poor work output. Not ideal for my final year project, naturally.

I'm sure I can get out of my flat contract if I phone them, losing only my deposit, however, I'm feeling incredibly shitty about my friend. We were excited to be moving in together, and now I might have to pull out simply because I can't afford it with the money I'm getting this year. It means I'd have to travel in from home, but that's only an hour a day on a train, and I'd save a metric ton of money.

If I did pull out, she wouldn't lose her flat or whatever, it's privately owned halls, it'd all still be fine. The issue I'm wrestling with is kind of...moral I guess, I feel bad about pulling out on her, we both really were looking forward to this, but as mentioned, with the most minimal financial backing, I just don't think I can make it.

What do you guys think? Any thoughts appreciated.

While I can't give advice about the financial issues, if you do decide to do what sounds like the only feasible option just tell her the situation. It shouldn't be a huge deal and it'll be as hard for you as for her.

Nah, I've had to have one every year to get by. I don't have time for a job and to travel/do my degree at the same time, it's too much stress/work piling up. I feel incredibly shitty about the whole situation to be honest. I feel like such a dirtbag to have to pull out on my friend like this, we were excited as hell to get this done, but the financial rug has been pulled out from underneath me, and I'd just barely manage. I mean for starters, I have to pay the initial £900 several weeks before my first loan payment comes in, so I'm having to clutch and scramble at what little money I have left over from my second year at university, and it's just really stressing me out to the point of losing major sleep.

I mean I'm sure she'll understand the situation, but begrudgingly. I feel like the worst person.

Miffy, from one University bod to another, CONGRATULATIONS MAN!!!:tup::tup::tup::tup::tup:

Hang that thing up on the wall and take pride in it everyday :yep::clap::woohoo:

I'm feeling good too, because I just sat the hardest exam I have ever, EVER done and was pleased it went well and then the Professor (one of two examiners and head of the final year at medical school) says to me...'Andy...that was brilliant...we both wanted to marry you in there :tup:'

ALRIGHT!!!:tup::eek::tup:

EDIT: Sorry to hear you are having grief Sombre. She sounds like a really good friend and really good friends understand stuff. Good luck with it.

EDIT EDIT: That's a first class degree Miffy! *HIGHFIVE*:tup:

Edited by Armchair General

That's what I managed by staying at home for first year but I might need to get one for going to Sweden depending on the cost of accommodation.

Where in Sweden? The housing situation in Stockholm is nasty. :(

Yeah, it's Stockholm. I'll hopefully find out soon if I'm getting student accommodation or not, they put everyone into a lottery for it because it's so scarce. The University apparently help you find somewhere to stay if you don't get it, but I'm aware it'll be costly either way.

Armchair: Hell yeah, it's First Class. That's why I'm so damn proud of myself. Also, I already said it in the "exams" thread, but well done! High five right back!

Sombre: I actually had to do that exact thing my second year. I was all ready to move in with two friends and had to pull out at the last minute. Just talk it through with her. She'll be disappointed, of course, but if it really is the only thing you can do, she'll understand too and in a month or two you'll be back to normal. It sucks, but it's certainly something you can deal with.

So my PC was supposed to be collected by a courier today to be shipped home, I arranged it through a relatives business, expecting it to be more reliable. Was it, no. So I proceeded to check the consignment info and lo and behold they say the collection date is on Monday, the date it was supposed to arrive, where I would be 200 miles away.

Hi there

Further to the phone call, I would like a parcel collected on Friday 11th June from:

Mr P. Carter

Address

Please can you deliver Monday 14th June to:

Mr P. Carter

Address

The account number is X and I would like to add one unit of insurance.

Please can you e-mail me back with the consignment number.

Best regards

with the reply

Hi arranged collection for you as per email on Y

Incompetent fuck-wits.

Oh, also: Grad presents!

Mostly hand-me-downs, but when the things that are getting handed down are your stepdad's 2 year old 46 inch plasma TV and your mom's 12 year old but really well maintained Rav 4 (never had any troubles, and gets 500km on a tank), that ain't bad. I knew about the car about a month ago, but now have the keys and thus my own set of wheels. The TV is an awesome surprise, as I've been using my computer monitor to run my consoles for the last 5-ish years. Shit yes. They're both moving to another province and into a smaller place, so it's probably mostly the convenience of "we don't need two cars and two TVs and now we don't have to move them across the country" (they moved in together two years ago and still have all the stuff from both houses) that caused them to fall to me, but I'm plenty happy with the outcome.

Damn... a few hours ago a real death scream came from a good friend of mine. He doesn't have long to live. Sure, I saw it coming, but I was planning to replace him next month. But I guess I have to speed up some things.

I'm talking of course about a computer. It has served me as router/gateway for the past 9+ years. Sure, I could replace the disk that's about to die, but it's one of those old PATA disks and it'll take a time to 'dd'. Besides, I want one of those silent, more energy efficient HTPC I can also hook up to my AVR and TV thingy. But now the big problem... trying to figure out what to put into that thing. It should be as fanless as possible, if I want fans I'd join facebook. Ha! :getmecoat

I'm quite content with how well this old system worked out. I replaced most of its internals in time, except for the 2 network cards. And all that time I didn't reinstall the OS. GNU/Linux is quite nice that way. Replace the motherboard and cpu? just make sure you have a prepared kernel.

Anyway.... new HTPC ... computers have become so difficult these days... I hope this old thing stays alive until all the parts come in.

Yeah, it's Stockholm. I'll hopefully find out soon if I'm getting student accommodation or not, they put everyone into a lottery for it because it's so scarce. The University apparently help you find somewhere to stay if you don't get it, but I'm aware it'll be costly either way.

I haven't lived there myself, but I hear crazy stories. Apparently you have to wait in line, possibly for over a decade, just to lease an apartment from the actual owner. And while you wait, you pay each year, but you don't actually know if you'll get a lease. So most people live in sub-let apartments, or sub-sub-let for all I know. I suppose the university could be a big help. It's not like the people I know there live on the streets. Best of luck.