gdf

Life

So I got called back early. I got the job! I start on Tuesday. For the first time since February I finally have a job to go to. So that's kind of exciting.

Well done, but make sure to tell them they're pricks for asking the weakness question.

Well done, but make sure to tell them they're pricks for asking the weakness question.

lol, it really is a terrible question.

Also, I'm kind of glad you replied because yesterday I played "Ben There, Dan That!" and knew I had seen the character somewhere before. Now I realized I've seen him on your avatar here. So that's cool.

EDIT: Wait a second. I actually looked at your name, and then your signature... Awesome game, I'm planning on playing "Time Gentlemen, Please!" tonight, hope its as good as the first. (Actually I hope its better, but I always hope things are better...) 

Congrats! :)

Thank you!

It's a lamesauce question, but only because it doesn't really introduce pucker factor. I like to ask what they consider to be their single biggest mistake they've made in their career and what they've learned from it. The best people always give the most awesome stories as answers to this question. Also, they usually end in some variant of "and that's how we lost all that data."

Awesome game, I'm planning on playing "Time Gentlemen, Please!" tonight, hope its as good as the first. (Actually I hope its better, but I always hope things are better...) 

Thanks! I reckon TGP is definitely as good. Most say it's better, though some prefer the slightly more punk BTDT.

In my last interview they (2 interviewers) asked me what my weakness was, i responded with 'time management', so they asked how I would work around it, so I said ' I would give my manager regular updates and work over time of needed'. They said that was a good answer.

It shows that you would have confidence in communicating with management and shows that you dont mind putting extra time in :)

I always was told that question was your oppertunity to show how you cope with weaknesses rather than just answering straight. Everything you do in an interview should be to show them how amazeballs you are. For ref, my answer is procrastination. I cope by prioritising efficiently, ensuring i stick to self imposed deadlines and keeping running lists of work to be done. yadda yadda.

At an interview earlier this year i was asked what my biggest regret from my work was, and that was followed up with what was my biggest triumph. My truthful answers probably put me at odds with the job i was going for (FEA engineer) but i never want to misrepresent myself in an interview. I had a job at the time of the interview, so my need to get into a job wansn't pressing enough for me to go in and mould my answers into the framework they were looking for. I treated the interview more as an exploration of what they wanted from me, what i wanted from them and where the job was going. It would have been an awesome job to get - extremly well paid, great holidays, located in Zurich...but i think at the end of the day i would have gotten bored by the work and possibly moved on far quicker than anyone wanted, and that probably got reflected in my answers as the interview progresed.

stewmull, never promise to work overtime, what if they called you on it!:0 The worst.

stewmull, never promise to work overtime, what if they called you on it!:0 The worst.

As long as I get paid I dont mind ;) Over time is great, espesiaclly how after 40 hours a week you get time and a half. Guys in my office normally work 40-55 hour weeks.

Also when you are on a project it is your/ your team's reposablilty to get the work done, so if the deadline is tomorrow and you get a call from a engineer or a fabricator at 5pm to change stuff, you are expected to stay until its done. I dont mind staying as the money is good and I enjoy the work.

na :) you have to work a minimum of 37.5 hours a week, but you have normally done that by thursday haha

So yesterday I had my flu jab, and then half an hour later left side of my face started to tingle, and then started to resemble the feeling you get after you've had a anaesthetic injection in your jaw at the dentist and the surrounding area though not numb is weirdly desensitised.

So I then spent most of the rest of the day sitting in A&E while they ruled out a allergic reaction or a stroke.

Thankfully the feeling subsided over time. But it was only when I visited my GP today that I got any sort of indication of what might be the cause, Which would have been much appreciated the night before so I didn't spend the entire evening worrying what the hell is wrong with me.

Apparently I something is/was up with the Trigeminal Nerve on that side of my face, but they still don't know exactly what.

All in all I've spent a lot of time in the last day or so sitting around waiting, and I still don't really know what's up. Which considering this affects my Face is slightly scary.

What's frustrating me the most though is I'm going to miss a self imposed deadline on the work I'm doing ATM, and it's left me just feeling anxious and out of control.

Suppose the only silver lining is despite all the waits and vagueness, the fact I'm in the UK means this whole mess at least isn't going to bankrupt me. It still shocks me every time I read something on here and someone mentions a medical bill of thousands.

Was it the jab that caused it, or unhappy coincidence? I got a horrible cold and swolen arm from the menangitis vaccine a few years back. Better than my brain exploding though.

Could be either a coincidence or causation, GP felt it was so close chronologically that there had to be some connection, he suggested that possibly the jab kicked my body's immune system into high alert and it found some virus that had been sitting dormant for years there and started attacking it.

I DID IT AGAIN! I got myself worked up about a call from a company (the company I most want to work for out of all the places I've interviewed at!) and it ended up being a mini-interview for a position I didn't apply for (after already having the on-site interview for the position I did apply for) and also one that I'm probably under-qualified for relative to most people and even though I think it'd be pretty interesting they're still calling other candidates so fuuuuuck iiiiiit.

And I have another on-site interview tomorrow with someone else. GRAND!

I DID IT AGAIN! I got myself worked up about a call from a company (the company I most want to work for out of all the places I've interviewed at!) and it ended up being a mini-interview for a position I didn't apply for (after already having the on-site interview for the position I did apply for) and also one that I'm probably under-qualified for relative to most people and even though I think it'd be pretty interesting they're still calling other candidates so fuuuuuck iiiiiit.

And I have another on-site interview tomorrow with someone else. GRAND!

Reminds me of just watching the behind the scenes for The Hobbit. A lot of the people that auditioned for one role got a different one. One of the dwarves actually auditioned for Bilbo before getting cast as a dwarf. Kili, IE Sexy the Dwarf actually auditioned for an Elf. A lot of the extra Hobbits actually went to accompany a friend for the casting calls, and ended up getting in instead of their friends. So just because you think you're underqualified or whatever doesn't mean you aren't in, best of luck!

Well that's a little different in that actors are actors and supposed to be able to play any part, and I don't imagine a dwarf is that different from a hobbit is that different form an elf, except in looks.

Programming, on the other hand. I consider myself a pretty good programmer (certainly better than... some people I know), but if I don't have much experience doing something? Well, I lose out to someone who does. I can't just put on a different mask. I can always learn, but that takes time. HENCE.

Whatever answer I come up with for the weakness question, it always sounds in my head like "I am shit at this thing. The way I will cope with that is by not being shit at that thing!" If you've found a way to deal with the weakness, it's no longer a weakness.

I might make it one of my questions at the end when they ask me if I've got any.

Ha ha, I was just coming back to post something similar. "My weakness is answering stupid questions. I overcome that weakness by going meta."

My greatest weakness is my greatest weakness is my greatest weakness :spiraldy: