gdf

Life

Fascinating! Something about venomous snakes, metallic materials and astrological observations. What the what.

It is a lilithle familiar.

Haha, sorry if puns get on anyone's NERVs.

:getmecoat

It is a lilithle familiar.

Haha, sorry if puns get on anyone's NERVs.

There's no Rei I'd Eva Asuka you to stop, man.

Anyway, yeah. The quaestio I'm translating is for a guy who wrote a book on the history of the automaton in Western culture. He's currently looking for the first use of the word "android" to refer to an autonomous humanoid construct and he thought it was in this Spanish commentary on the biblical Book of Numbers from the fifteenth century. I took one look at the text (see it for yourself here, if you care) and had to go tell him, "I don't think the word is used in this text, but it'll take me twelve to fifteen hours to translate enough to confirm that." He just wrote me another check and told me to do it anyway. Ah, the power of grants... It's all about this bronze serpent that the Israelites make to protect them from snakebites. Somehow, Alonso Tostado has it in his head that the bronze serpent moved and hissed, so he writes an entire quaestio exploring how it did so. He tends to repeat himself a lot, so the actual progression of his argument isn't too interesting, but it's basically that something more perfect than nature can exceed nature, necessarily using astrology because God's too busy and demons fuck up.

I wish this was my job all the time, really. Teaching is exhausting and my dissertation is scary. Alas, it's not to be. I make good money doing translation commissions, considering, but it's just not livable money, not unless everyone starts wanting shit translated to/from Latin.

That actually sounds really interesting. It also looks terrifying to try and translate, so, you know, good job.

As for my life... I have a job interview later today with a call center. Hopefully things go well, I could really use a steady paycheck right now. Unfortunately I didn't get any sleep last night (stupid brain, making me think about how I can't really know for sure that anyone else actually exists and that I can't even know anything I've experienced isn't just simulated by my brain...) so now I'm getting pretty tired and I'm worried that will mess me up a bit for the interview.

Also I'm just not good at interviews, so I'm pretty nervous regardless.

As for my life... I have a job interview later today with a call center. Hopefully things go well, I could really use a steady paycheck right now. Unfortunately I didn't get any sleep last night (stupid brain, making me think about how I can't really know for sure that anyone else actually exists and that I can't even know anything I've experienced isn't just simulated by my brain...) so now I'm getting pretty tired and I'm worried that will mess me up a bit for the interview.

Also I'm just not good at interviews, so I'm pretty nervous regardless.

Just remember, that job interview is merely being simulated by your brain. As is this post.

What helps me with job interviews is thinking that whoever is interviewing me is more nervous because they have to look authoratative without coming off as domineering.

I try to make the interview relaxed and enjoyable, but I always prioritize relevance to the actual reason that we are both there.

Speaking of which, i've just been told I may be interviewing a guy!

At least part of the nervousness is from the fact that I've been unemployed for so long and have had so few responses to job applications that it feels more important, you know? (Also, if I get this job it would be the highest paying job I've ever held, so there's slightly more incentive there.) Also I'm just always nervous in situations like this. Well, now I'm off to the interview... I'll update when I get back!

Also good luck dibs! I'm sure you will interview them well.

So did one or both of you nonchalantly attempt to drop in a reference to puffins or wizards in order to discern whether you were participating in the same interview?

So did one or both of you nonchalantly attempt to drop in a reference to puffins or wizards in order to discern whether you were participating in the same interview?

That's really clever, which is probably why I didn't think to do it.

So yeah, the interview went well I think. Apparently the guy doing the interview knew of my hometown (which is very small and in the middle of nowhere, so this was actually kind of surprising) so the entire thing started off with a bit of a conversation about where I lived. It was honestly the most relaxing start to a job interview I have ever had. From there it was a bunch of the usual questions ("What would you say is your biggest weakness?" etc) that I feel like I answered well. Overall a very positive vibe. Now I have to wait on a criminal background check, so he said they should be contacting me again on Wednesday.

So for two days I sit and wait. And play games. Videeeeooooo gaaaammmeeeess....

I'm so angry and depressed lately and really don't know what to do about it. I had a counselling appointment today, but when I showed up I told them I'd rather not be there and left. I've been trying to book a doctor's appointment since I ran out of antidepressants weeks ago, but I haven't been able to get anyone on the phone in just as long.

How do you usually get antidepressants? Do they usually answer the phone when you call?

I just had a date with an online contact, we went lunching in the city. I had a good time, and I think she had too. I'm pretty interested in her, but I can't help doubting myself, thinking that maybe I should've been more, y'know, seductive and everything. In this case, we just chatted about all sorts of interesting and personal things. Am I being paranoid about having done something wrong?

The upshot is that if I'm worried about screwing it up, it must mean I really feel something for her.

Assuming that you're in it more for the long haul, ensuring personality compatibility seems to be higher priority, so good job. The sexiness gets mostly taken care of via pheromones automatically anyway so why bother?

So, interview set up for Monday. First time I will be on the interviewer side of the table! This shall be interesting. I'm going to be the good/passive agressive cop.

Assuming that you're in it more for the long haul, ensuring personality compatibility seems to be higher priority, so good job. The sexiness gets mostly taken care of via pheromones automatically anyway so why bother?

This.

If you are just trying to get laid then this advice doesn't work well, but if you are interested in finding a partner just have fun and don't appear disinterested.

Good advice, thanks. I naturally nudge towards this, but part of the dating thing is sitting in doubt, apparently! I guess the most important quantifier of success is whether we go on a second date or not. If so, I expect things'll go by themselves afterwards.

The good thing about all this is: I had fun and met an interesting person who is also a lady!

Me and a girl were madly in love for the summer, now it's over.

I've come to terms with the idea of us having separate lives, but how the fuck do I get this tender naked body out of my mind?

I'm back in my small empty apartment by myself every night now and I am LOSING MY GOD DAMN MIND :(

Does your area offer any interesting social events? When I was single and alone, I ended up taking pottery-classes. I ended up meeting my wife elsewhere, but now we are potters. It helped me to find a place with a regular crowd that had atleast one interest in common with myself. Luckily, I was in an area where such a thing was offered.

So I got called back early. I got the job! I start on Tuesday. For the first time since February I finally have a job to go to. So that's kind of exciting.

I got the cold and I missed my classes yesterday. And I have to pay my college bill. And I have finals next week. And I need to buy train tickets to Chicago. And I FORGOT TO REGISTER FOR NEXT SEMESTER CLASSES, FUUUU-

But hey, I'm playing some Shadow Warrior (2013 version) and that's kinda'-sorta' making me feel better. Nothing says "therapeutic" than slicing demons with a katana.

Fuck, I just remembered I have some overdue library books. Fuck.