gdf

Life

Why is this good? ^

Tastless and Artosis, at the WCS UK Championships.

2 of the biggest commentators of StarCraft.

My best friend since I was four years old (so, 20 years, for those unaware of my age) is rolling into town today to attend a colleague's wedding and is sleeping on my couch while here. I'm more nervous about this than I should be, given the unfortunate situation of politics. See, I've known this guy since miniature-person times, so we know each other well enough to remain friends despite being on completely opposite ends of the political spectrum. That is, he works in the campaign office for the Conservative Party of Canada in Ottawa, whereas I am deeply ashamed to call his boss my Prime Minister. I'm not happy about how his politics have shifted as we grew up, nor is he happy about mine, but we've got a "from the day" relationship where we just ignore that when with anyone else we'd be arguing 'til our faces turned blue. Hell, occasionally we even get to have real respectful debates with someone on the opposite end of the spectrum who we know very well, which I think is valuable for both of us when it happens, and we do know when to draw the line and call it a no-win as well. It's certainly made us more understanding of the other side, at the very least. Thing is, none of my friends, and in particular my partner, have known him since small times and they're mostly in line with my current politics. The worry is that sometime in the next few days a huge argument is going to break out between my best friend from childhood and my partner, which would completely suck. Hopefully out of respect for me they can both hold their tongues when things come up, but neither one has a particularly good track record of this. Fun times ahead!

Were I in your position, I wouldn't be able to resist the urge to introduce him to people as "my fascist friend…"

Surely it's possible between adults to place a temporary taboo on politics? I hope I'm not being terribly naive at this, but a little bit of preparation and consideration should go a long way.

Are they aware that they should avoid talking about it? Seems like an easy enough thing, but then I'm rarely super-passionate about these sorts of things. Probably to my detriment, but hey.

TECHNICAL PHONE INTERVIEW NUMBER TWO IN ONE POINT FIVE HOURS. UHHHH. I always get so nervous. ):

Okay well that's the second technical phone interview with them where I finished half an hour earlier than time allotted (which was one hour) and OH MAN now I'm incredibly optimistic about getting an on-site interview AND THEN AFTER THAT A JOB

oh man i am so pleased right now :D

This is as good a place to ask as any: what kind of salary should I expect and/or ask for as an entry-level [mobile] game programmer in San Francisco (a place that is reportedly expensive to live in)? I've never had to negotiate a salary before (since I've never had a real job before!), and I don't want to undercut myself out of ignorance. They might not even ask what I expect, but I figure I should be prepared in case they do. U:

Onnnn what?

I'm not sure what other details I could provide that would be relevant. Entry-level. Mobile games. C++ programmer. San Francisco. EDIT: Oh, Master's degree. That's definitely relevant.

I've known for a while the typical salary for a new grad game programmer is about $55-60k, but I also know that kind of thing is also subject to the living cost of a given city or whatever and maybe other stuff man I don't know that's why I'm asking. ):

I don't know, I'm from Norway. The only thing I can say is that I've heard the pay is higher in San Francisco, and that they apparently have this bridge that's a big deal, a prison on an island, an old cinema, a winding road, hilly streets with sick jumps and that's it.

Are they aware that they should avoid talking about it? Seems like an easy enough thing, but then I'm rarely super-passionate about these sorts of things. Probably to my detriment, but hey.

Knowing myself, I can't help myself to say something in discussions I really shouldn't respond to. I can only assume a lot of other people have the same problem. Even though they don't really care about the issue.

This is as good a place to ask as any: what kind of salary should I expect and/or ask for as an entry-level [mobile] game programmer in San Francisco

GameDev's salary survey and game career guide could be useful on this subject. As a matter of a fact, the Fall Career Guide is out now and lists as average programmer salary for <3 years experience as $66k

The west coast is >10% higher than the average.

Oh wow I completely forgot about GameDev's salary survey, despite having known it exists. Well, that's an answer! They've already asked me for availability for an on-site interview. Apparently it's going to be a two-hour test on the computer followed by some more relaxed technical questions after that. MORE TESTS. ARGH.

There are tons of fireworks going off today. It's driving the cats mental. Every time there's a particularly loud one, Cabot starts growling.

I started my new job a couple of days ago and I'm super stoked about it. Everybody's been really nice and seems genuinely excited about the stuff they're working on, which is a pretty big change from the last place I worked. Now I just have to avoid screwing this up!

I hear he's already been invited to a ritual bloodletting and sacrifice! Unfortunately they request you bring a hot dish and Scotty isn't very good at cooking, so I hope he doesn't make a bad impression.

That's cool, if he is bad at cooking he can turn up ready branded and the ceremony will go that much quicker.

Applied for an App Sec job at Twitter, under encouragement from one of their sec guys. All the app sec jobs seem to be in SF, CA. Relocation came up. Don't think it will go any further tbh, but worth a punt :)

Had a kid 5 days ago, that was an experience, and has been since then. He's already proving to be a chill dude, sleeps a lot drinks a lot and otherwise just likes to hang out. Here he is on his way home for the first time

dd1Nhl.jpg