gdf

Life

What, you only like it if it involves video games, drugs, or Big Dog?

No, it's just that I was hoping it was going to be some new, interesting technique I'd never heard of. Some clever series of exercises that induces a feeling of well-being that I was hitherto unaware of.

Instead it was "wanking"... the positive feelings from which I already take full advantage. Oh well.

Because it was pelting it down with rain all day around here, I ended up staying in and writing a blog post about the whole Christoforo brouhaha.

Well, that and watching The Karate Kid 3 and The Next Karate Kid - the one with Hilary Swank. Watching them back to back is like an object lesson in how TV writers differentiate between male and female protagonists. Ralph Macchio's Karate Kid's first challenge - the one where his karate is not strong enough to overcome the bad kid's karate - always has the stake that he will look bad in front of a girl he likes. Hilary Swank, on the other hand, is constantly threatened with molestation.

Seriously, every time she gets into a fight situation before she masters karate, there's an implicit or explicit threat of sexual assault. It's frankly disquieting.

Happy new year everybody!

No, it's just that I was hoping it was going to be some new, interesting technique I'd never heard of. Some clever series of exercises that induces a feeling of well-being that I was hitherto unaware of.

Instead it was "wanking"... the positive feelings from which I already take full advantage. Oh well.

How about normal physical exercise then?

How about normal physical exercise then?

Yes, I have heard of that also. I partake in the former more frequently than the latter, but I do try to go to the gym.

When I get back to Uni, I plan on throwing myself into studies and sports. Hopefully that'll help!

Well, that and watching The Karate Kid 3 and The Next Karate Kid - the one with Hilary Swank. Watching them back to back is like an object lesson in how TV writers differentiate between male and female protagonists. Ralph Macchio's Karate Kid's first challenge - the one where his karate is not strong enough to overcome the bad kid's karate - always has the stake that he will look bad in front of a girl he likes. Hilary Swank, on the other hand, is constantly threatened with molestation.

Seriously, every time she gets into a fight situation before she masters karate, there's an implicit or explicit threat of sexual assault. It's frankly disquieting.

Yeah, it is kind of troubling, but it also not entirely inaccurately reflects the worries of women of that age. Margaret Atwood's anecdotally received responses that men are afraid women will laugh at them and women are afraid men will kill them does kind of hold up at times.

That said, maybe the more worrisome thing here is that every person of even slightly questionable ethics in this kind of film is apparently a rapist. Or at least doesn't mind giving the impression of being such.

Yeah, it is kind of troubling, but it also not entirely inaccurately reflects the worries of women of that age. Margaret Atwood's anecdotally received responses that men are afraid women will laugh at them and women are afraid men will kill them does kind of hold up at times.

That's very true - I guess it's just odd how on the nose the treatment is in The Next Karate Kid - every bad guy seems to have "PS is a rapist" tacked on to the end of their character sheet. It feels like the writers didn't notice the way it was stacking up in the narrative, because in each individual scene it seemed like a good way to make that particular bad guy more clearly a bad guy.

Hey so apart from wanking how would you all recommend I spend my time in order to move on? :D

Yes, I have heard of that also. I partake in the former more frequently than the latter, but I do try to go to the gym.

I spent a decent chunk of 2009 running 8 kilometers everyday, and one aspect of it I miss now is how much stronger things are after a while - as in, my emotional reaction to books, films, games, whatever, all became stronger. It's better than sitting on my ass all day long like I'm doing now and being bored. I need to find the time to hit a gym also. I've gained a lot of weight over the past year and I need to fix that.

Edited by Kroms

Hey so apart from wanking how would you all recommend I spend my time in order to move on? :D

To quote the inimitable John Rambo, day by day.

Read, play video games, drink, repeat until you have finished your degree.

I miss my gym and yoga studio also: I had to cut back when I got into grad school because I had no spare time, and then when I got injured (14 months ago! Still not healed! Fuck everything about that!) I stopped completely.

Reached the point where I haven't even stepped on the scale in at least a month for fear of what it will show.

giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirly isssssssssues

:tup:

I miss my gym and yoga studio also: I had to cut back when I got into grad school because I had no spare time, and then when I got injured (14 months ago! Still not healed! Fuck everything about that!) I stopped completely.

Reached the point where I haven't even stepped on the scale in at least a month for fear of what it will show.

Well, at least you still have masturbation. (Presumably.)

Apart from the stepping on the scales bit, I don't think those issues are overtly "girly", though. I hear guys voicing the same concerns.

Having recently gone through a fairly disheartening break-up, do this: get BUSEH. The day my latest ex and I broke-up, I went and saw Drive. It got my mind off htings. Then I got busy working 20 hour days and then playing too many video games for my own good. Then I saw The Wire, season three. Now I'm re-writing old code to suck less and on my third pint of water in under a half hour. In a minute, I'm going to exercise. You live, you learn, you toughen up. Mostly, you learn.

Reading is good too. Getting a hobby, very nice. Learn a new language. Lots of pretty girls learning new languages. Always wanted to learn Spanish? No time like the present.

Go do something apart from hanging around internet forums.

giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirly isssssssssues

I just found out that I, too, have giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirly isssssssssues.

I need to find the time to hit a gym also.

I went and did this. Fuck it, I'm starting early. Felt like a badly out of shape and completely breathless champ, but I still got to pump my fist.

GIT ON IT.

eaIvk1cSyG8

A couple of recent things resolving today. For one, I RMA'd my laptop to get a new LCD panel on it, so I'll be more-or-less PC game-less for the next week and a bit. No Saint's Row or Skyrim for me. Sadness. On the other hand, at least my shit is getting fixed. Also, today I surrendered my learner's permit in order to start the processing on my honest-to-god driver's license. I have no government ID for the next two weeks now while I wait for the new card in the mail, so I hope I don't get checked at any bars, but otherwise I feel pretty good about that one.

...and just got a call from the tech shop I bought my laptop from. Seems there was impact damage on my screen so I need to send it back to ASUS. Balls. At least it's covered by their warranty. Still, I need to mail it to Toronto, wait for repairs, and then wait for it to get mailed back. Also, since I live in a basement suite and don't have a front door, I'll need to go to whatever post office they use to pick up the thing. Where I will need photo ID. Which I currently don't have. Bitchin.

A year after first going to my GP about it, tomorrow I'm finally going into hospital to have an operation done on my hernia. I'm going under general anaesthetic for it, then I have to rest up for a couple of days and probably take a couple of weeks off work so I can slowly get back to full capacity (although I shouldn't do any heavy lifting or straining for 6 weeks in total).

I'm not worried about the op itself, but I am nervous about having to shave my balls for the first time ever, and making sure that it all heals properly and doesn't get ripped open or infected.

So, I'm not sure if I'll be around for the first couple of days, but then I'll probably be on here A LOT, so get ready for a 400% increase in Gibbage-pushing and faux-misogyny.

Thanks! I'm not sure whether to do it before going to the hospital, so I can really take my time over it, or to wait until I get there and they ask me to do it in case they just tell me to do it again.

EDIT: a Google tells me it's best not to do it beforehand. ;(

I was about to give some useful advice. Then decided not to type that post.

Just, er, concentrate and don't rush :grin: