gdf

Life

So everyone says "iTunes Fucking Sucks", but what is actually bad about it? I have literally no idea what about it might be bad.

It's fucking difficult getting music on my iPhone. Did I sync it with another computer? Oh, in that case we must DELETE ALL MUSIC ON THE PHONE before we can copy one additional song to it. I guess this might be my own stupidity, but at least some time ago I had a hard time finding a way to not sync the whole library and just copy individual songs/albums.

I am a little confused by the vehemence of this anger too. It really looks something like fanboyism.

Also, I find it really, really strange that I find myself here in the position of defending Apple—I consider iOS an anathema, an uncomputer, the most oppressive piece of modern technology, on par with FarmVille—but I also think that iTunes is not as revolting as you're making it out to be.

My primary complaint with iTunes is the "buy once, download once, fuck off" system. I haven't bought anything from them in a couple years, so that could have changed but I doubt it.

I'm ambivalent about iTunes. It may help that I'm running it on OS X; have never tried the Windows version. I quite like the way it organises music. I dislike that it keeps album art separately to the mp3s though; that's caught me out at least once while changing computers.

There have been times where features couldn't be turned off, IIRC like the genius sidebar at first. Sometimes, I just want to get to some music quickly, but it pops up saying "Connecting to iTunes Store" when I try to click on stuff the first few times. It seems like it should be such a trivial thing, but that the first thing a music application does is get between me and my music enrages me. It's really poor UX, and that surprises me coming from Apple ¬¬

"buy once, download, fuck off" isn't the case for apps (used to have an iPhone); it remembers what you've previously bought and allows you to redownload. I've always bought music from other sources to itunes though.

So everyone says "iTunes Fucking Sucks", but what is actually bad about it? I have literally no idea what about it might be bad.

Memory hog, prone to freezes, slow to open, ugly, doesn't auto update libraries, doesn't allow the use of more than one computer per device (ipod/phone).

My primary complaint with iTunes is the "buy once, download once, fuck off" system. I haven't bought anything from them in a couple years, so that could have changed but I doubt it.

They did change that, only very recently though.

Unrelated to iTunes, sorry:

I'm getting on a plane tomorrow and flying back to Blighty for a week. If you never hear from me again, assume a plane crash or murder by tramp.

Unrelated to iTunes, sorry:

I'm getting on a plane tomorrow and flying back to Blighty for a week. If you never hear from me again, assume a plane crash or murder by tramp.

I'd like to blame itunes myself

HOT SCOOP: iTunes > Life

"Memory hog, prone to freezes, slow to open, ugly, doesn't auto update libraries, doesn't allow the use of more than one computer per device (ipod/phone)."

Valid, not in my experience, valid, a bit, not sure what you mean, valid.

The iTunes store has changed a lot recently, it's gone from heavy DRM "buy once, download once, fuck off" to iTunes+, iTunes Match and infinite music, app, audiobook and movie re-downloads.

I would love to get rid of iTunes from my computer. I already sold my iPod Nano in the beginning of the year to get rid off all Apple related stuff I have so I wouldn't have to use iTunes with my PC, but of course my wife has an iPod as well and now she bought iPhone 4... so shit. The only the way to get rid off it is to buy another computer and eradicate this thing from my desktop PC.

I really don't like iTunes at all and I absolutely don't like the way it suggests to install Safari and something else every time an update has appeared. Also seems to slow things down, it seems like it has been coded pretty badly for PC. I've never heard it working on Mac like it works on PC.

Maybe someone should create an iTunes thread where we can complain about how bloated and ugly our lives are.

It's damned ugly. And it's a really shitty way to navigate your music. Much like WinAmp or Windows Media Player. That said, I despise it more than the others because so many people think it's the greatest app on the planet. As I said before, I think Zune player has the perfect balance of prettiness and usability.

Of course it comes down to personal tastes, but the fact that it killed subbes has definitely tipped the scales against it for me.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

HOT SCOOP: iTunes > Life

Valid, not in my experience, valid, a bit, not sure what you mean, valid.

The iTunes store has changed a lot recently, it's gone from heavy DRM "buy once, download once, fuck off" to iTunes+, iTunes Match and infinite music, app, audiobook and movie re-downloads.

I mean that if I buy an album from say play, we7, Spotify, or whoever iTunes will not add it to the library automatically, unlike media player, Zune and plenty of others. I do use iTunes, though only to buy current tv series, only because I have no other legal way to get them. Amazon are better for music.

murder by tramp

I would like you to know that I am wilfully misinterpreting what you mean by "tramp".

She slipped me a deadly mickey.

(I have arrived. England is colder than I remembered. My parents' bathroom includes a "Harvest Gold" bathtub.)

She slipped me a deadly mickey.

(I have arrived. England is colder than I remembered. My parents' bathroom includes a "Harvest Gold" bathtub.)

ZOMBIE SUBBES!!!

:campbell:

*hides*

Not to worry, I requested a special vegetarian meal on the plane.

I am back! I have been traveling for about 16 hours and the room seems kind of wobbly, so some sleep seems in order.

Not to worry, I requested a special vegetarian meal on the plane.

So what you're saying is that you're a zombie... with an even bigger appetite for flesh??