Garple

(IGN.com)

"This game will blow you to the next visceral level with its back to basics complexity and meat meets potatoes meets more meat gameplay. Compelling." (Ign.com)

Yeah, Kotaku is totally guilty of ridiculous web headline techniques, brilliantly described here: http://www.theawl.com/2013/01/take-a-minute-to-watch-the-new-way-we-make-web-headlines-now

Besides the headlines, another thing that ends up bothering me about Kotaku is their genre of video-games-totally-saved-my-life, which always come off as excessive evangelizing.

"It’s like mixing chocolate, peanut butter, and handjobs."

-- IGN.com Penny Arcade Report[/size]

That is disappointing coming from them. They've set themselves up to be way better than that and I assume it's a one-time, drunken fluke Kuchera is already regretting.

Yeah, I seem to hear nothing but a series of consecutive faux pas coming out of the PAR camp, since the day they launched it. I have a sneaking suspicion Ben Kuchera was a pretty big twat all along, but the editorial guidelines over at Ars kept him from proving it to everyone.

Penny Arcade in general has an attitude of "If you don't love all that we do, you're not a fan. Therefore, we owe you nothing" that all feels very... internet? I'm thinking of dickwolves and their weirdly flippant million-dollar kickstarter.

Penny Arcade and the PA Report have basically nothing to do with each other except for the words in their website titles.

True, the Penny Arcade guys aren't calling the shots, but what you said is just as much of a mischaracterization. Ben Kuchera is employed by "Penny Arcade, Inc." writing on a website hosted by Penny Arcade with a comment system hooked into the PA forum accounts. There's going to be some cross-pollination, even with the best intentions.

I'd say there's about as much cross-pollination as there is between Three Moves Ahead and Idle Thumbs, which are in more or less the same position.

Fair point, I forgot that Rob Zacny and Troy Goodfellow are paid employees of Idle Thumbs, Inc.

But please, let's not hijack this thread more than I already have. Surely there's more PR fallout from the whole <i>Aliens: Colonial Marines</i> debacle?

RIP 1up and Gamespy. 'Tis a dark day for games journalism when those two sites get sacrificed to keep IGN alive.

Wow, this feels like a blast from the past. MEMORIES!! Once there was no more 1up show, 1up yours and GFW Radio, was there even a reason to go to that site anymore? Not for me. I was a big fan and looked forward listening to/watching all that stuff every week. So sad when it just... Slowly drained. Green, Shawn Elliot, Luke Smith, Shane Bettenhausen, Garnet Lee, Mark McDonald, John Davison, Ryan Scott, Sean Molloy, Darren Gladstone, Robert Ashley and Chuff Money, yo! There were more, but these are the people I remember from that time that totally made my week, every time! That's not sad, is it? Either way, good memories and left a lasting impression!

I HAVE BEEN TAINTED BY NOSTALGIA!!!   :campbell:

I still really like 1up, i felt like the guys that were left came through all the turmoil that site has been through like total class acts, they were still doing good podcasts and a lot of good written content.

They ended up with a very narrow, niche focus though, that was probably their undoing.

Still, a real shame that it has to end, i think. I hope those guys find good places to go afterwards.

I have some fond memories of using QSpy to find matches. It was a lot better than my notebook full of hostnames. (Like quake.texas.net or quake.power.net…)

I like how nobody is shedding a tear for UGO.com. It's hard to believe that cesspool stuck around as long as it did.

I don't think I ever even had a good idea what UGO was.

I don't think even UGO ever had a good idea of what UGO was. :-P

Damn, I really liked Retronauts, it was the best and almost only good retro game podcast out there. The only one I have now has the hosts... commenting on YouTube clips of old games or checking Wikipedia while recording because they usually haven't even heard of the game they are talking about. :|

Is it confirmed that the podcasts will disappear?